Jump to topic:

Critical assessment of my knowledge?

Makes-sense
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:36:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hi! I am new to this site, and have a very limited understanding in debate. I was hoping someone could assess my current knowledge through means of this forum or personal message. Pointing out flaws, improvements, highlights, tips. I do hope to have a positive experience, I'm just hoping my form of debating tactic isn't considered to be ... simple?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:40:38 PM
No problem. Thanks for your interest in critique and learning. That's always welcomed here. I'll keep an eye on your debate and give you a review on it. Welcome to DDO.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:42:00 PM
Just realized your debate isn't an actual one. I suggest taking a look at some others and getting your feet wet by starting one.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:46:48 PM
At 4/4/2012 7:42:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Just realized your debate isn't an actual one. I suggest taking a look at some others and getting your feet wet by starting one.

I agree, and with practice you'll get better.

http://www.debate.org...

The video will help acquaint you with DDO (debate dot org).
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Makes-sense
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:48:24 PM
Thanks, I did make the mistake of not using a debate correctly. I am not site savvy unfortunately! I didn't see the forums section. The easiest way I felt possible to get a question out there was to post it somehow. Sorry for the mistake. I had a feeling it was going to go down in two ways, someone would consider my a 'noob' and consider my post unimportant and thereby not getting a response at all. I also thought that I may get a response of the debate its self. Now that I realize that it is not the standard structure for a debate on this site, I will remove the debate. Maybe I could give you a quick rundown on my already existing knowledge? I didn't want to message some random user and throw a large assessment question at them. I felt it respectful to have a proposal and then have someone take it.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:52:10 PM
At 4/4/2012 7:48:24 PM, Makes-sense wrote:
Thanks, I did make the mistake of not using a debate correctly. I am not site savvy unfortunately! I didn't see the forums section. The easiest way I felt possible to get a question out there was to post it somehow. Sorry for the mistake. I had a feeling it was going to go down in two ways, someone would consider my a 'noob' and consider my post unimportant and thereby not getting a response at all. I also thought that I may get a response of the debate its self. Now that I realize that it is not the standard structure for a debate on this site, I will remove the debate. Maybe I could give you a quick rundown on my already existing knowledge? I didn't want to message some random user and throw a large assessment question at them. I felt it respectful to have a proposal and then have someone take it.

Yeah, don't worry about it. Things aren't too formal here. And we have created a lot of resources for new members.
You can find a lot of the information you need in the tutorial thread: http://www.debate.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:55:21 PM
http://www.debate.org...

The link above is another great introductory thing.

Yeah it isn't too formal here - well it may be in the Religious, Sports, and Philosophy forums, I've never been there much.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 12:16:58 AM
I suggest you go through the "Big Issues" list and take positions on them. If you don't understand what an issue is about, search for past debates on the subject. You'll get a sense of how much you know.

You don't need to know everything. Pick a couple of topics to start with and learn them. When you post a debate challenge, you can restrict acceptance to new debaters. Otherwise you may be picked off by a noob sniper -- a mediocre experienced debater looking for easy wins.