Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:22:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Poll:

http://poll.pollcode.com...

F.O.P. = Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva

-Is one of the most disabling genetic conditions known to man

-In this disease, a mutation of a single gene causes sporadic and unnecessary bone growth in muscle mass throughout the body. In essence, the patient begins growing a second skeleton.

http://www.bing.com...

Estimated 2500 cases worldwide
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:22:52 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:22:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Poll:

-In this disease, a mutation of a single gene causes sporadic and unnecessary bone growth in muscle mass throughout the body. In essence, the patient begins growing a second skeleton.

Stop trying to bias the poll. That disease, by the way, is a result of mutations. Individuals with the disease do not naturally reproduce in the first place.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:23:00 PM
Can I hear a resounding "HELL NO!!!!!!"?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:23:49 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:22:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Poll:

Stop trying to bias the poll. That disease, by the way, is a result of mutations. Individuals with the disease do not naturally reproduce in the first place.

So, your justification is that it is a personal choice, and that most people with FOP won't reproduce right?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:24:02 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:23:38 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Is this the disease that causes the skeleton to fuse together or whatever?

Yes

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:24:05 PM
This poll is wrong anyways. I cannot emphasize the fact that the disease is a result of mutations in gametes and that it is not passed down between generations.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:24:27 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:23:49 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2012 9:22:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Poll:

So, your justification is that it is a personal choice, and that most people with FOP won't reproduce right?

Bingo
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:25:16 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:23:00 PM, OberHerr wrote:

HELL NO!!!!!

Can I get a witness?!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:26:23 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:24:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
This poll is wrong anyways. I cannot emphasize the fact that the disease is a result of mutations in gametes and that it is not passed down between generations.

The mutation will have affected the sperm/ eggs, and therefore would be passed on likely to any offspring.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:27:19 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:25:16 PM, Oryus wrote:

HELL NO!!!!!

Can I get a witness?!

(what's the proper response here?)

But Hell no to reproductive regulation!!!!
Debate.org Moderator
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:27:44 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:26:23 PM, Contra wrote:

The mutation will have affected the sperm/ eggs, and therefore would be passed on likely to any offspring.

So, are you going to have normal people's gametes screened before they mate? Because, quite literally, the disease occurs in mutations in the gametes of regular individuals.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:27:44 PM
Seriously?! 3 people voted yes?!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:28:04 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:27:19 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/5/2012 9:25:16 PM, Oryus wrote:

HELL NO!!!!!

Can I get a witness?!

(what's the proper response here?)

But Hell no to reproductive regulation!!!!

You are at your 1,999th post

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:28:52 PM

*facepalm*

Most of the time, they can't even reproduce with this disease.

And second, why should we give the government this power, and were in the constitution does it allow it?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:29:07 PM
If the child is ASSURED death and suffering through this reckless reproduction, then it should be a federal crime for anyone with that disease to reproduce. Bringing a person into the world to suffer and die is at par with murder and torture. I don't see what distinction the rightists have in their heads.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:29:30 PM
Until relatively recently, the government could tell you whether or not you were allowed to buy contraceptives (see Griswold) and whether you were allowed to take a woman across state lines in order to have sex (Mann Act).

Even after Griswold v Connecticut, the big trial to give a right to marital privacy, the government was still allowed to ban NON-MARRIED COUPLES from buying contraceptives.

Until around the 1940s, it was permissible to sterilize people who have committed multiple crimes (see Skinner v Oklahoma) without permission or consent.

Ironically, the Supreme Court never said after Skinner you CAN'T sterilize criminals. Instead, it violated the 14th amendment because white-collar crimes weren't included as counting towards sterilizing.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:30:47 PM
Liberals really make me sick sometimes.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:31:11 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:28:52 PM, OberHerr wrote:

*facepalm*

Most of the time, they can't even reproduce with this disease.

This^
And second, why should we give the government this power, and were in the constitution does it allow it?
:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:31:40 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:29:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
If the child is ASSURED death and suffering through this reckless reproduction, then it should be a federal crime for anyone with that disease to reproduce. Bringing a person into the world to suffer and die is at par with murder and torture. I don't see what distinction the rightists have in their heads.

FOP basically assures death - most die because their lungs cannot move enough to get enough air after the disease has progressed long enough.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:32:02 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:30:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I don't even see that as a liberal thing. It just seems fascist.
:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:32:18 PM

You're nothing but an implantation of biases and knee jerk reactions to EVERYTHING. Do you ever stop for once in your life and actually take a critical look at the things you believe?

Of course not.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:32:59 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:31:40 PM, Contra wrote:

FOP basically assures death - most die because their lungs cannot move enough to get enough air after the disease has progressed long enough.

Ok then, because there is a chance for basically anyone that reproduces with someone else that some horrible disease will come out of it, we should sterilize everyone, but its for the children!

Really, it is!

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:33:00 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:32:02 PM, Oryus wrote:

If the child is ASSURED death and suffering through this reckless reproduction, then it should be a federal crime for anyone with that disease to reproduce. Bringing a person into the world to suffer and die is at par with murder and torture. What's the difference Oryus?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:33:20 PM

This isn't a liberal issue.

On the contrary, I believe my position would be more conservative, since I support regulating somebody's private organs (wow- I never expected myself to say that).

No, we wouldn't scan people's gametes, but if a person has FOP, they could be banned from having children.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:33:30 PM

This has nothing to do with being liberal. This is just plain fascist.

And yes, liberals do make me sick sometimes. That's why I am Communist.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:34:07 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:32:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/5/2012 9:31:40 PM, Contra wrote:

Ok then, because there is a chance for basically anyone that reproduces with someone else that some horrible disease will come out of it, we should sterilize everyone, but its for the children!

Really, it is!

You couldn't sterilize the children, FOP has no cure.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:34:21 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:32:18 PM, 000ike wrote:

You're nothing but an implantation of biases and knee jerk reactions to EVERYTHING. Do you ever stop for once in your life and actually take a critical look at the things you believe?

Of course not.

You and Contra support this completely Facist, and ver Hitler-esque idea.

Perhaps not liberals, but people like you make me sick sometimes would be a better statement?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:34:46 PM
No.

I advocate no social programs so if that person is brought into the world, I will not be tasked with taking care of him (via taxes). Therefore, I couldn't care less if they reproduce.

In other words, I believe that people should have their own choice but I will not be responsible for their choice.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 9:34:50 PM
At 4/5/2012 9:33:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/5/2012 9:32:02 PM, Oryus wrote:

If the child is ASSURED death and suffering through this reckless reproduction, then it should be a federal crime for anyone with that disease to reproduce. Bringing a person into the world to suffer and die is at par with murder and torture. What's the difference Oryus?

At 4/5/2012 9:27:44 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

So, are you going to have normal people's gametes screened before they mate? Because, quite literally, the disease occurs in mutations in the gametes of regular individuals.
: