Jump to topic:

DDOers and College and Jobs?

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 7:05:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, who here is in college? Where, what year, major? If you're not in college, where do you wanna go, and what do you wanna study? What do you wanna do?

If you've graduated, what did you major in? Did you like it? Where are you working now? And what advice would you give the rest of us?

Me: Freshman at the University of California, Davis, double majoring in Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning (B.S.) and Economics (B.A.). Not sure what I want to do, but I feel like the doors are pretty wide-open, so yup. :)
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 8:50:51 PM
College, University of Miami, second semester freshman, Civil Engineering
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:02:39 PM
I wanna be a politician... I dont know what college[s] I will apply too yet :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:08:51 PM
Would like to go to an Ivy League, especially Harvard, but I have a higher chance of being struck by lightening, so I'd say Rutgers.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:09:57 PM
At 4/7/2012 9:08:51 PM, 000ike wrote:
Would like to go to an Ivy League, especially Harvard, but I have a higher chance of being struck by lightening, so I'd say Rutgers.

I think you would be accepted.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:10:59 PM
At 4/7/2012 9:02:39 PM, 16kadams wrote:

BWAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sapere Aude!
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:12:07 PM
At 4/7/2012 9:08:51 PM, 000ike wrote:

I thought the same thing.

Also, apply to Columbia. Its curriculum is actually rated better than Harvard's at the undergrad level.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:12:55 PM
At 4/7/2012 7:05:45 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
So, who here is in college? Where, what year, major? If you're not in college, where do you wanna go, and what do you wanna study? What do you wanna do?

If you've graduated, what did you major in? Did you like it? Where are you working now? And what advice would you give the rest of us?

Me: Freshman at the University of California, Davis, double majoring in Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning (B.S.) and Economics (B.A.). Not sure what I want to do, but I feel like the doors are pretty wide-open, so yup. :)

I'm a senior in high school, I'm going to Louisiana Tech and major in Computer Science.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:19:29 PM
At 4/7/2012 9:10:59 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 4/7/2012 9:02:39 PM, 16kadams wrote:

BWAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

?
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:34:39 PM
I'll either get into Full Sail University, and get into some video game programmer/designer career.

Or try to get into Oxford and become and author.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 9:48:54 PM
Finished all my schooling and I'm just waiting for graduation. Once I get my doctorate of pharmacy, I take the licensing exam. My workplace has me as an intern at $22.50 and I get a 2.5x pay hike as soon as I get that license :P

It's just a waiting game, folks. I'll be a licensed drug peddler soon!
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 10:01:20 PM

I'm a junior at Davenport University, which is a Michigan-based Private college. I'm majoring in Paralegal Studies. Then I plan to move on to University of Michigan Law if I can get in, or Wayne State. Eventually becoming a lawyer.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 10:01:20 PM
I have some advice for you guys:

Anyone in a position in charge of hiring people is likely to hate individuals who exhibit idealism. If you, in any way, present yourself as someone who thinks that things *should be* a particular way, you've just locked yourself out of a job.

Being a team player and getting along with others, not having extreme opinions, and having a flexible schedule are the factors people look at most for entry level positions.

Going to an Ivy League if you aren't white and/or rich is one of the stupidest things you can do unless you get a full scholarship.

Going into the humanities can also be very difficult unless you have a clear idea as to what you want to do.

Trace the job market well before you choose your major. Don't just listen to what people say about it, ask people who actually work those fields through forums and such.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 11:25:00 PM
If you're not in college, where do you wanna go, and what do you wanna study? What do you wanna do?

My first choice is the US Naval Academy...but, chances of that happening are one in a bazillion :P (very touch competition). If I happen to get in, I want to study weapons engineering and then, if I can, pass my PRT with flying colors, volunteer for the SEAL "screener" and then, if they take me, afterwards to BUD/S, and if all goes well, into the SEALs. (I've done my research)...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 8:16:54 AM
At 4/7/2012 9:48:54 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Finished all my schooling and I'm just waiting for graduation. Once I get my doctorate of pharmacy, I take the licensing exam. My workplace has me as an intern at $22.50 and I get a 2.5x pay hike as soon as I get that license :P

It's just a waiting game, folks. I'll be a licensed drug peddler soon!

You're getting a doctorates in pharamcology??

Lol, dude, I totally need to become your best friend before your pockets become too fat to accept any more applications.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 8:51:42 AM
At 4/7/2012 10:01:20 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Anyone in a position in charge of hiring people is likely to hate individuals who exhibit idealism. If you, in any way, present yourself as someone who thinks that things *should be* a particular way, you've just locked yourself out of a job.

Being a team player and getting along with others, not having extreme opinions, and having a flexible schedule are the factors people look at most for entry level positions.

I've hired many people over many years. It strikes me as odd that a subject where a discussion related to idealism would ever come up in a job interview. Do you mean idealism in the sense of an ideal job or an ideal work place? I've always hired engineers and administrators, so perhaps the situation is different in, say, government jobs.

What I always look for in applicants is someone who has shown initiative beyond "being there." Lots of resumes are a list of having attended school, joined organizations, and worked here and there. I wanted to see what a person specifically did: a paper or project that the person considered an accomplishment, something build or crafted, or even a hobby that takes initiative. Measures of achievement are helpful: college degrees, patents, publications, licenses, certifications, professional society memberships. It's not so much that any of the measures are so terribly difficult, it's that the person showed the gumption to get them.

And, yes, figure out early on how you plan to be employed. the world would be a better place if two-thirds of college students left school and did something useful instead.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 9:37:37 AM
Rutgers University

Major: Labor Studies and Employment Relations
Minor: Human Resources Management

Right now I have a paid internship in the HR department for the fifth largest media agency network in the world. Depending on potential job offers, I'll either go into the HR field as soon as I finish school or try to pursue law. As much as I would love to be a lawyer, I'm not sure how smart of an investment law school would be for me - at least not any time soon.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 9:38:52 AM
At 4/8/2012 8:51:42 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I wanted to see what a person specifically did: a paper or project that the person considered an accomplishment, something build or crafted, or even a hobby that takes initiative.

Can you give an example?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 9:59:01 AM
At 4/7/2012 9:48:54 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'll be a licensed drug peddler soon!

You know I've always loved you, right? XOXOXOXO
President of DDO
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 10:03:17 AM
At 4/8/2012 8:51:42 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 4/7/2012 10:01:20 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I've hired many people over many years. It strikes me as odd that a subject where a discussion related to idealism would ever come up in a job interview. Do you mean idealism in the sense of an ideal job or an ideal work place? I've always hired engineers and administrators, so perhaps the situation is different in, say, government jobs.

What I always look for in applicants is someone who has shown initiative beyond "being there." Lots of resumes are a list of having attended school, joined organizations, and worked here and there. I wanted to see what a person specifically did: a paper or project that the person considered an accomplishment, something build or crafted, or even a hobby that takes initiative. Measures of achievement are helpful: college degrees, patents, publications, licenses, certifications, professional society memberships. It's not so much that any of the measures are so terribly difficult, it's that the person showed the gumption to get them.

And, yes, figure out early on how you plan to be employed. the world would be a better place if two-thirds of college students left school and did something useful instead.

?

You guys want to be best advice?

Figure out any way possible to have as few superiors with as little power above you as possible.

In this economy, that should be your sole engagement.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 1:27:26 PM
At 4/7/2012 9:34:39 PM, MasterKage wrote:
I'll either get into Full Sail University, and get into some video game programmer/designer career.

Why Oxford?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 1:40:25 PM
At 4/8/2012 1:27:26 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Why Oxford?

Isn't that the #1 college in the world?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 1:48:16 PM
At 4/8/2012 1:40:25 PM, 000ike wrote:

Why Oxford?

*#2 http://www.ulinks.com...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 1:57:37 PM
At 4/8/2012 1:40:25 PM, 000ike wrote:

Why Oxford?

Depends on the list (and that list you posted doesn't look very accurate to me - no Durham, Manchester as the fifth best uni in Britain), but I am interested in why he wants to go to Oxford for the purpose of being a writer. Just being good doesn't seem like an adequate enough reason for me as there are many very good universities of a similar standard in the US.
I'm glad to be there, but I wouldn't recommend someone choosing it randomly
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 7:35:13 PM
At 4/8/2012 2:09:31 PM, SeelTheMan wrote:
Binghamton University, double major - Korean Studies / Business

SUNY? Do you want to go into grad school?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 9:07:46 PM
Has any of you ever considered self employment? Start your own business? It costs nothing short of the govt paper work. I know it isn't for everyone but still if one is going to go into debt $100,000 why not start a business instead. At least you would have some assets.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SeelTheMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 9:25:35 PM
At 4/8/2012 7:35:13 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Just a bachelor degree at first, then I will move to South Korea and teach English. At some point in time I would like to study and get a doctorate in Korean Studies.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 9:44:05 PM
Illinois State University. Finance and accounting. Going for a CPA and might go the a law degree when I get it. Currently thinking about taxation or contract law.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 10:30:03 PM
At 4/8/2012 9:25:35 PM, SeelTheMan wrote:
At 4/8/2012 7:35:13 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Just a bachelor degree at first, then I will move to South Korea and teach English. At some point in time I would like to study and get a doctorate in Korean Studies.

hmmm....okay because Binghamton is well known among graduate schools...not so much among employers :P