Jump to topic:

Who can accept your challenge

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 4:24:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So the last time juggle updated this site (whenever that was), they inserted an extra option for who is allowed to accept your debate. The majority of ddo users seemed to want something like it, only thing is, the new option is not very useful.

Options for who can accept your debate, according to wins.

less than 3
between 4 and 10
between 11 and 20
between 21 and 30
between 31 and 40
between 41 and 50
more than 60

If I don't want someone to accept my debate with under 11 wins that also means someone can't accept my debate who has 21 wins. This is not very useful because I, and I think most people, don't care about their opponent being too good. They care about their potential opponent not being a noob. This might be useful in certain circumstances, but it would be much more logical to have the option to only let people who have more than ____ wins accept your debate.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 4:26:00 PM
Add a minimum number of wins and maximum number of wins, instead of a dropdown list. It would work better, I think.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 4:28:28 PM
At 4/8/2012 4:26:00 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Add a minimum number of wins and maximum number of wins, instead of a dropdown list. It would work better, I think.

I agree, which was essentially what I was saying, minus the max wins.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 4:35:58 PM
I agree with everything you two have said and was thinking the same thing earlier when I was fiddling around with the options when making a new debate.

I was thinking I was sick of people accepting my debates and forfeiting all the rounds, so I wanted someone who had completed at least 5 or 10, but then it would limit the maximum number of completed debates as well. So ultimately, I just had to go with a completely open challenge and hope for the best.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 8:19:17 PM
I've never really been too concerned with who accepts my debates. If I get a good opponent, then I thuroughly enjoy the debate and all is well with the world. If not, and I get a noob who accepts, then you just chalk up another win and re-make the debate. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get someone good to accept it. Tedius, but it's a real stat booster.

Not that I really care about stats, but it's a fun bragging right to have. Granted, you would've gotten most of your wins from noobs, so your bragging rights wouldn't really count for much, assuming you didn't do as well against better opponents. But if you did, I guess you would still have the bragging rights since you could say you did just as good against experienced debaters as you did against noobs. Overall, I guess, a win is a win is a win.

Wow, I got way off track. My head hurts. I'm gonna stop rambling and just submit the stupid post now before it gets way more embarrasing.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 5:43:16 PM
The narrow range of wins makes the feature useless. I'd like to be able to specify the minimum number of wins or the minimum number of debates.

I've had people create accounts just to accept my debate and thereby take the topic down. I'd like to be able to avoid that.

The technique of using "this round for acceptance only" together with some caveat like "don't accept this debate if you have won fewer than five debate or if words confuse you" helps.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 5:51:05 PM
I think the best way to is PM people who you know like debating a specific topic and ask them if they would like to debate you. I never post open challenges nor do a lot of debaters. They simply join tournaments to be matched up with someone else or contact an opponent of their choice to debate with.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 5:57:06 PM
At 4/9/2012 5:51:05 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I think the best way to is PM people who you know like debating a specific topic and ask them if they would like to debate you. I never post open challenges nor do a lot of debaters. They simply join tournaments to be matched up with someone else or contact an opponent of their choice to debate with.

I haven't done a debate with you yet. I've been hoping to debate you for a while.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 7:09:44 PM
If everybody avoids posting open challenges then new debaters on the site are locked out of serious debates. That's not good. I need bright fresh energetic liberals to kill. Requiring a small number of wins is a compromise that lets relatively new debaters get into it.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 7:11:11 PM
At 4/9/2012 7:09:44 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
If everybody avoids posting open challenges then new debaters on the site are locked out of serious debates. That's not good. I need bright fresh energetic liberals to kill. Requiring a small number of wins is a compromise that lets relatively new debaters get into it.

0_0
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015