Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I NEED HELP please

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:41:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?

Actual info. Like I know abortion is basically removing or expelling of an embryo or fetus but I don't know ANYTHING about what an embryo or fetus actually develops or how they do it or anything about it that would help me in a debate when im just standing up and making a case.
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:42:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:40:43 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Do you mean....entertainment?....rhetoric to make arguments longer....what?

Sort of, more substance. like yeah.
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:42:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:41:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I think he is just admitting he knows nothing.

No. I'm admitting I know stuff but not enough to justify it in a stand up make your case right there debate.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:43:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:41:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I think he is just admitting he knows nothing.

Information is obtained through the senses, which can, and are, tricked. So we cannot judge that we actually do know anything.

But, in case that our senses are NOT lying to us, Wikipedia's always good.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:44:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:42:58 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:41:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I think he is just admitting he knows nothing.

No. I'm admitting I know stuff but not enough to justify it in a stand up make your case right there debate.

Sounds like you were saying you don't know anything
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:45:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:41:38 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?


Actual info. Like I know abortion is basically removing or expelling of an embryo or fetus but I don't know ANYTHING about what an embryo or fetus actually develops or how they do it or anything about it that would help me in a debate when im just standing up and making a case.

Are you talking about things like the science of what goes on? Well, that is true, not many on DDO focus very much on the science of anything, only on the morals and logic. I was rather surprised when we were talking about forced sterilization how many people didn't understand how even though something is a genetic mutation that the mutation can still be passed on to their children.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:46:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:45:14 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:41:38 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?


Actual info. Like I know abortion is basically removing or expelling of an embryo or fetus but I don't know ANYTHING about what an embryo or fetus actually develops or how they do it or anything about it that would help me in a debate when im just standing up and making a case.

Are you talking about things like the science of what goes on? Well, that is true, not many on DDO focus very much on the science of anything, only on the morals and logic. I was rather surprised when we were talking about forced sterilization how many people didn't understand how even though something is a genetic mutation that the mutation can still be passed on to their children.

Something like it.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:46:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:42:58 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:41:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I think he is just admitting he knows nothing.

No. I'm admitting I know stuff but not enough to justify it in a stand up make your case right there debate.

That's because you need to sit down on a particular subject and just study the snot out of it for a freaking long time, not 72 hours that you are given here to make an argument, but actually dig through the science and history and various views on something.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:48:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It also doesn't help that this site has an extremely bad case of ADD, so you'll never get too much depth on any particular topic from here. It is best to find someone on here with a like interest and discuss (not necessarily argue or debate) it with them via PM.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:48:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:48:03 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It also doesn't help that this site has an extremely bad case of ADD, so you'll never get too much depth on any particular topic from here. It is best to find someone on here with a like interest and discuss (not necessarily argue or debate) it with them via PM.

Poultry snackers!
kfc
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:50:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:41:38 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?


Actual info. Like I know abortion is basically removing or expelling of an embryo or fetus but I don't know ANYTHING about what an embryo or fetus actually develops or how they do it or anything about it that would help me in a debate when im just standing up and making a case.

That's easy, just read
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:51:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:45:14 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:41:38 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?


Actual info. Like I know abortion is basically removing or expelling of an embryo or fetus but I don't know ANYTHING about what an embryo or fetus actually develops or how they do it or anything about it that would help me in a debate when im just standing up and making a case.

Are you talking about things like the science of what goes on? Well, that is true, not many on DDO focus very much on the science of anything, only on the morals and logic. I was rather surprised when we were talking about forced sterilization how many people didn't understand how even though something is a genetic mutation that the mutation can still be passed on to their children.

That's only true for germ cell mutations though. What was the topic?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:54:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Researching, experience, discussion with others, and reading helped me much. Reading books on political science is helpful as well, and I'd highly recommend doing this.

A great book for knowing the basics of politics and its debates and background (yet is still a well-written book):

http://www.amazon.com...
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:32:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Map it out in an algebraic equation.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:49:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:54:00 PM, Contra wrote:
Researching, experience, discussion with others, and reading helped me much. Reading books on political science is helpful as well, and I'd highly recommend doing this.

A great book for knowing the basics of politics and its debates and background (yet is still a well-written book):

http://www.amazon.com...

Except that it is liberally biased and written by the daughter of a Democrat.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:55:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 9:49:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:54:00 PM, Contra wrote:
Researching, experience, discussion with others, and reading helped me much. Reading books on political science is helpful as well, and I'd highly recommend doing this.

A great book for knowing the basics of politics and its debates and background (yet is still a well-written book):

http://www.amazon.com...

Except that it is liberally biased and written by the daughter of a Democrat.

How does being the daughter of a politician make it biased?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:58:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:33:17 PM, Viper-King wrote:
DDO has helped me with logic, debate, and semantics. However, I don't know anything with substance. Can anyone help?

Try the library and Google. That's where I get my info at.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:09:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 9:55:51 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/9/2012 9:49:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:54:00 PM, Contra wrote:
Researching, experience, discussion with others, and reading helped me much. Reading books on political science is helpful as well, and I'd highly recommend doing this.

A great book for knowing the basics of politics and its debates and background (yet is still a well-written book):

http://www.amazon.com...

Except that it is liberally biased and written by the daughter of a Democrat.

How does being the daughter of a politician make it biased?

It doesn't by itself, but it facilitates into it.

Read the first review.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:12:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:09:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/9/2012 9:55:51 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/9/2012 9:49:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:54:00 PM, Contra wrote:
Researching, experience, discussion with others, and reading helped me much. Reading books on political science is helpful as well, and I'd highly recommend doing this.

A great book for knowing the basics of politics and its debates and background (yet is still a well-written book):

http://www.amazon.com...

Except that it is liberally biased and written by the daughter of a Democrat.

How does being the daughter of a politician make it biased?

It doesn't by itself, but it facilitates into it.

Read the first review.

"Conrad's father is the senior Democratic senator of North Dakota, and her uncle is the Republican U.S. agricultural secretary and former governor of North Dakota. Still, she manages to be nonpartisan in this very helpful guide to American politics"

She has family on both sides and still stays non partisian, whas the issue?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:13:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
oh wait i was looking at the wrong part
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:16:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.amazon.com...

out of 17 reviews all but 4 people gave it 3 stars or less, so I can assume that its pretty fair and balanced
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:32:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:16:07 PM, imabench wrote:
http://www.amazon.com...

out of 17 reviews all but 4 people gave it 3 stars or less, so I can assume that its pretty fair and balanced

Just cause people like it does not mean its biased. I liked the communist manifesto, but do not agree with it.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:34:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:32:36 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:16:07 PM, imabench wrote:
http://www.amazon.com...

out of 17 reviews all but 4 people gave it 3 stars or less, so I can assume that its pretty fair and balanced

Just cause people like it does not mean its biased. I liked the communist manifesto, but do not agree with it.

several of them do use the words non partisian though
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:45:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:34:49 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:32:36 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:16:07 PM, imabench wrote:
http://www.amazon.com...

out of 17 reviews all but 4 people gave it 3 stars or less, so I can assume that its pretty fair and balanced

Just cause people like it does not mean its biased. I liked the communist manifesto, but do not agree with it.

several of them do use the words non partisian though

let me look into it :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:47:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:45:24 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:34:49 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:32:36 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:16:07 PM, imabench wrote:
http://www.amazon.com...

out of 17 reviews all but 4 people gave it 3 stars or less, so I can assume that its pretty fair and balanced

Just cause people like it does not mean its biased. I liked the communist manifesto, but do not agree with it.

several of them do use the words non partisian though

let me look into it :P

some said non partisan, others said non partisan other times, others where probably like me where modaratism is left, and he claimed it was left wing :P

So it seems like a moderate book.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 11:52:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 8:45:14 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:41:38 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/9/2012 8:35:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by substance?


Actual info. Like I know abortion is basically removing or expelling of an embryo or fetus but I don't know ANYTHING about what an embryo or fetus actually develops or how they do it or anything about it that would help me in a debate when im just standing up and making a case.

Are you talking about things like the science of what goes on? Well, that is true, not many on DDO focus very much on the science of anything, only on the morals and logic. I was rather surprised when we were talking about forced sterilization how many people didn't understand how even though something is a genetic mutation that the mutation can still be passed on to their children.

I think this has some merit. Very few debates and forums on DDO actually deal with science. The science and technology forums for instance have very few posts.