Jump to topic:

Xtreme Vote-Bombing

Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 6:35:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Mongeese, I voted and left RFDs on as many as I could. I pity you deeply. I wish I could get my hands on the people behind this...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 7:45:39 AM
I randomly clicked on one to read/vote and leave an RFD for you, but it was post the voting period... I'll do what I can in the next few minutes before I have to go. Good luck.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 7:55:05 AM
Okay, so I clicked on another random one, the 3rd one down:

http://www.debate.org...

It's the debate about not contradicting yourself. You (and your opponent, untitled_entity) said to vote for you because she broke the rules by failing to post a series of questions in round 3. However, the rules ALSO stated that your opponent must ask you a series of YES/NO questions. I noticed that you listed "Sometimes" as an answer to many of her questions. This is also breaking the rules and subsequently altering the entire purpose of the debate! Unfortunately your opponent didn't realize that right away, or she might not have forfeited so easily.

Anyway it was a Tie who I agreed with before the debate; I agreed with Con after the debate (because you weren't supposed to contradict yourself, but by breaking your own rules you contradicted yourself); Tie on conduct; Pro had better spelling and grammar; Pro won on having the more convincing arguments (because you convinced her to concede - lol - a mistake on her part, but good job!) and it was a Tie on sources, as there were none.

Unfortunately this didn't help you out much -- My vote gave just 1 vote to the Con and 2 votes to you (the rest were tied) -- But I will look at some of your others later tonight and hope I can help you out. Good luck, again!
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 5:36:48 PM
It's astonishing how fast one is capable of reading a debate when they realize that one person forfeited the remaining rounds, which warrants an immediate loss in many cases. Personally, I deduct the Conduct point for a forfeit, and the Arguments as well for a last-round forfeit, as it drops all of the opponent's contentions.
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 6:38:31 PM
You believe it warrants an immediate loss. Regardless, I highly doubt ccstate4peat gave a thought-out decision on all the debates he voted on. Chances are, he just voted for you.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 9:00:46 PM
From what I've seen, you seem to have something of an entourage. That is to say, a handful of members seem to enjoy frequenting your debates and leaving less than constructive comments on your arguments and overall mentality, regardless of the topic. I'm not sure what you may have done to warrant that type of following but considering your relatively short tenure here, that's pretty impressive =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 9:15:30 PM
Well, I happen to think his arguments are often not good. Add that to the fact that mongeese probably is involved in maybe 5 or 10% of all debates at a time, especially the ones that are more interesting to me, and are often against my friends, and I'll comment often.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 10:26:59 PM
It is really not helpful to post links to debates where the voting period has ended.

(Vote bombing is a good reason to put either very long or unlimited voting periods.)
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 5:52:44 AM
Interestingly enough, it is also a reason to have very short voting periods.

With long voting periods, a vote-bombing epidemic can hit every single one of my debates.

With short voting periods, a vote-bombing epidemic often can't be responded to.

So, there's no clear-cut choice here.