Jump to topic:

Who was Askbob, and why was he banned?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 8:54:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, so everyone talks about this Askbob a lot, and from what I have read, he seemed to be liked.

I don't know much about him, but who was he, and why was he banned?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 8:57:14 AM
He is not a very likeable person. He was completely rude . . .

He was banned because he would use his computer skills to divine the personal information of members and harass them. Juggle decided that he was a legal liability after he started attacking Brainmaster, a fourteen year old troll, and calling his mother.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:01:43 AM
At 4/12/2012 8:57:14 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
He is not a very likeable person. He was completely rude . . .

He was banned because he would use his computer skills to divine the personal information of members and harass them. Juggle decided that he was a legal liability after he started attacking Brainmaster, a fourteen year old troll, and calling his mother.

This and he was known to hack accounts and use proxies to bypass blocks.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:06:13 AM
At 4/12/2012 8:54:37 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Ok, so everyone talks about this Askbob a lot, and from what I have read, he seemed to be liked.

I don't know much about him, but who was he, and why was he banned?

he came back on for like an hour a couple of days ago, and within that time frame started threatening to leak people's private information.

He's critical of everything about the website and overall obnoxious.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:07:18 AM
By being mod I was able to access his file, and it is pretty horrific, complete with restraining orders etc. Everyone has a portion of their profile that only the admins can see where notes are made about action taken against members, or just little incidental notes of no importance. His was remarkably long and thorough. I also have his personal information in the off case I would need to use it. I will also tell you that when i was running against him as president, someone from Juggle sent me anonymously a 26 page report on him. He's a threat to the members here, and a threat to Juggle. He's also wildly overrated.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:08:22 AM
Wait, he ran for president!?!?

O.O

Yeah, from what I gather, I would have hated him.....

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:09:51 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:09:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Why does he do this stuff?

I'm guessing, think Inferno, and add hacker abilities, and take away the harmlessness.

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:10:21 AM

My guess: Attention.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:11:25 AM
There were a good few that seemed to love him, from what I can gather.

I still think divulging information was too much, and the banning should have happened--BUT, what the defenders of him have said is that that information was publicly available (ie, put on the internet) anyway.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:12:37 AM
Also--his explanation was that this was only done to blatant trolls on DDO.

But again, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:12:49 AM

Older members say he cared about the website and wanted to rid it of trolls, and since the owners were virtually indifferent to what happened on the website, he took "justice" into his own hands.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:13:02 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:08:22 AM, OberHerr wrote:

O.O

He was the reason I first ran. I had no intention of running, but i received a lot of PM's about a major concern that he was running against no one who could really beat him. For the good of the site I ran, truly I didn't intend on being president prior to the PM's I received, but it all worked out quite well.

After the election he began his usual behavior and went too far, and Juggle began to take action then. He made a promise to them that he wouldn't behave badly, but is compelled to act like an azz. Juggle made it very clear that he wasn't to be allowed on the website.

He goes too far, and seems to have no normal sense of what is inappropriate, and no sense of common decency. Otherwise he's a nice guy.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:15:05 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:13:02 AM, innomen wrote:
At 4/12/2012 9:08:22 AM, OberHerr wrote:

O.O

He was the reason I first ran...

I suppose that is one good thing he did. After all, who can be a better president than innomen?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:15:10 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:12:49 AM, 000ike wrote:

Older members say he cared about the website and wanted to rid it of trolls, and since the owners were virtually indifferent to what happened on the website, he took "justice" into his own hands.

Calling people at home, their parents, and employers, is too far by any measure, and constant threats of that is enough for Juggle to pull the plug.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:16:38 AM
Hmm, well he did make you our president, so perhaps he did some good after all.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:16:59 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:12:49 AM, 000ike wrote:

Which is what I heard.

However, that behavior seems to indicate some kind of god complex--i.e, HE'S the one who gets to exact justice, HE knows what justice is, etc.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:17:12 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:16:38 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Thank you, that's very kind.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:18:27 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:17:12 AM, innomen wrote:

It's true.

Seriously, my worries about this next election is that it will make the presidency pointless, and we won't have a unbiased, in mod/president issues, president.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:22:48 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:18:27 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/12/2012 9:17:12 AM, innomen wrote:

It's true.

Seriously, my worries about this next election is that it will make the presidency pointless, and we won't have a unbiased, in mod/president issues, president.

Of course, I agree that innomen has done a decent job of using his mod abilities--definitely nowhere NEAR an abusive mod.

However, I can't help but wonder what kind of an effect a normal president and a mod separately will have. I think it's too soon to say that will be negative. It could be positive, after all.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:22:49 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:07:18 AM, innomen wrote:
By being mod I was able to access his file, and it is pretty horrific, complete with restraining orders etc. Everyone has a portion of their profile that only the admins can see where notes are made about action taken against members, or just little incidental notes of no importance. His was remarkably long and thorough. I also have his personal information in the off case I would need to use it. I will also tell you that when i was running against him as president, someone from Juggle sent me anonymously a 26 page report on him. He's a threat to the members here, and a threat to Juggle. He's also wildly overrated.

Is it any wonder I don't want to seriously be associated with the guy?

I don't suppose I could get an official declaration that I am not askbob?
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:23:41 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:22:49 AM, drafterman wrote:

drafterman=/=askbob.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:33:02 AM

I officially declare that you are not Askbob.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 9:34:06 AM
At 4/12/2012 9:33:02 AM, innomen wrote:

I officially declare that you are not Askbob.

Thank you.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:02:53 AM
I think it is cowardice to criticize Askbob when he has been banned and most of his supporters (almost all of whom were really good debaters) have left. He was one of the oldest member of this site and contributed to it in many ways - including the ddomafia site, a ancillary site to DDO. He was also the prime mover of Mafia games. He created an excellent DDO page on facebook. There were many more things...

If I recall correctly, the Innomen vs Askbob election was very well contested. Askbob had made huge contribution to DDO (more than Juggle anyway). Innomen's contribution was zilch. On other hand Askbob appeared to be quite immature and unbalanced. This was the reason Askbob lost the election eventually. Juggle's apathy to trolls was a major reason why Askbob decided take matters into his own hands and started revealing personal info of the trolls which lead to his ban.

I do support his ban though. I also have no doubt that Innomen has done very good job since then.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:07:04 AM
At 4/12/2012 10:02:53 AM, baggins wrote:
I think it is cowardice to criticize Askbob when he has been banned and most of his supporters (almost all of whom were really good debaters) have left.

how so?
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:16:28 AM
Innomen-Askbob Presidential debate
http://www.debate.org...

and election thread.

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:18:59 AM
At 4/12/2012 10:07:04 AM, 000ike wrote:
I think it is cowardice to criticize Askbob when he has been banned and most of his supporters (almost all of whom were really good debaters) have left.

how so?

Because he made lots of contributions to the site. Because he is not able to defend himself.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:20:41 AM
At 4/12/2012 10:18:59 AM, baggins wrote:
At 4/12/2012 10:07:04 AM, 000ike wrote:

how so?

Because he made lots of contributions to the site. Because he is not able to defend himself.

alright, except people openly criticized askbob when he was on the site as well.
Open borders debate: