Jump to topic:

Feature Request Thread

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:09:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I doubt that this thread will be noticed by juggle, but here it is.

Edit Function - Be able to edit posts after you've made them.

Voting Reform - We are in desperate need of voting reforms. My thoughts will be up in a few hours.

Issue Update - We need to update the big issues. Change "Bush" to "Obama" and update the candidate list. (There is no way we want McCain as our "president" from '08 when the elections are in full force.

Design - Update the design a little bit; make it a bit nicer for us to use. I would recommend a better text editor and a better way to save your work on debate.org. Often times I use advance editing in debates and the format is lost.

Member of the Month - Have a MOTM competition between members.

User moderators - Have users who are active moderators.

I'll post more later.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:10:21 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:09:00 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Although I don't play mafia, I foresee this being a great problem in the game.

Voting Reform - We are in desperate need of voting reforms. My thoughts will be up in a few hours.

Issue Update - We need to update the big issues. Change "Bush" to "Obama" and update the candidate list. (There is no way we want McCain as our "president" from '08 when the elections are in full force.

Design - Update the design a little bit; make it a bit nicer for us to use. I would recommend a better text editor and a better way to save your work on debate.org. Often times I use advance editing in debates and the format is lost.

I'll post more later.

Agree with the rest.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:11:18 AM

No.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:11:29 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:10:21 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Although I don't play mafia, I foresee this being a great problem in the game.

Didn't really think of that. I never played mafia and have no clue how it works and never thought of that. Thanks.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:14:19 AM

Like everyone else said this would only raise hell in the games forums

Voting on here is in great shape, how exactly does it "desperately" need reform?

Is this about changing the big issue list or about updating political candidate preference on profiles?

It would be a nice feature but is it really needed?

We can do that on the forums though if someone takes the initiative....

i like this idea but how many are we talking about here?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:15:46 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:14:19 AM, imabench wrote:

Voting on here is in great shape, how exactly does it "desperately" need reform?

Is this about changing the big issue list or about updating political candidate preference on profiles?

We have user mod, its called innomen. Having random people become user mods would be a bad policy.
Open borders debate:
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:19:02 AM
Yes. An edit post function would destroy the ability to have mafia games. The question is, whether or not that should be a factor.

However, if editing a post causes a uneditable stamp to be placed on that post (e.g "Edited on:") then we could simply make editing posts a mod-killable offense.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:21:43 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:19:02 AM, drafterman wrote:
Yes. An edit post function would destroy the ability to have mafia games. The question is, whether or not that should be a factor.

However, if editing a post causes a uneditable stamp to be placed on that post (e.g "Edited on:") then we could simply make editing posts a mod-killable offense.

it sounds like s solution but it would probably more complicated than it sounds, especially if in game threads where there are 400+ posts it would be hell to go back and see if any of them changed
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:23:40 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:21:43 AM, imabench wrote:

it sounds like s solution but it would probably more complicated than it sounds, especially if in game threads where there are 400+ posts it would be hell to go back and see if any of them changed

That's true. Maybe give the thread author the ability to enable/disable editing of posts.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:24:53 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:23:40 AM, drafterman wrote:

That's true. Maybe give the thread author the ability to enable/disable editing of posts.

And thats a good solution.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:49:45 AM

Which is something I didn't think about.

Not necessarily the voting itself, the voting period chance from default of 3 days to 1 month. Perhaps "desperately' is too strong of a word.

Both.

The updates to the formatting problem is needed (at least I feel that it is).

Good point.

No more than 5. We can rotate moderators every now and then so everyone can be a moderator and not have power hunger problem.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:50:26 AM

I disagree. It isn't that complicated; just add a few more lines of code. What happens is that the OP specifies whether thread editing is allowed or not.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:54:02 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:49:45 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Not necessarily the voting itself, the voting period chance from default of 3 days to 1 month. Perhaps "desperately' is too strong of a word.

1 month is a little long, wouldnt 1 week do fine? if all debates were a month long voting people might not vote on them as much since there would be an illusion of time for others to vote instead...

Both.

I definitely think the latter should be done but maybe we should hold off on the former until after Obama's term ends

sounds like an opinion...

No more than 5. We can rotate moderators every now and then so everyone can be a moderator and not have power hunger problem.

rotate mods? 1 does the trick fine why would we need 5 if we just plan on rotating them so that only one or two gets power at any point?

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:55:59 AM

Not necessary.. The quote feature works pretty well for fixing typos and such.

Voting works fine in my opinion. We may need 'voter' reform sometimes though.

This would be nice.

I don't have any issue with this.. but I've heard other say similarly.

This could be an interesting idea.

How many moderators do we need? Is there a lack of moderation problem I'm unaware of?

I'll post more later.
Debate.org Moderator
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:56:39 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:54:02 AM, imabench wrote:

1 month is a little long, wouldnt 1 week do fine? if all debates were a month long voting people might not vote on them as much since there would be an illusion of time for others to vote instead...

1 week is better; though 3 days is not enough.

Both.

I definitely think the latter should be done but maybe we should hold off on the former until after Obama's term ends

Perhaps. But why the hell is George Bush still in the Big Issues when he is long gone?

sounds like an opinion...

It is.

rotate mods? 1 does the trick fine why would we need 5 if we just plan on rotating them so that only one or two gets power at any point?

Eh, perhaps.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 12:30:59 PM
At 4/12/2012 11:56:39 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Both.

Perhaps. But why the hell is George Bush still in the Big Issues when he is long gone?

Bush was a controversial president even from the start. He barely won the election, some say he managed 9/11 badly, the wars in iraq and afghanistan are still controversial issues, the economy under him went to hell at the end of his term. He was a controversial guy and even today he is one of the biggest issues debated on DDO....

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 12:36:40 PM
At 4/12/2012 12:30:59 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/12/2012 11:56:39 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Both.

Bush was a controversial president even from the start. He barely won the election, some say he managed 9/11 badly, the wars in iraq and afghanistan are still controversial issues, the economy under him went to hell at the end of his term. He was a controversial guy and even today he is one of the biggest issues debated on DDO....

That all may be true, but shouldn't it then say former President George W. Bush? Either way, I think Obama needs to be on the list of Big Issues. I've seen several debates on him
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 1:04:21 PM

This would cause huge problems in mafia. Furthermore, I dislike it when people are allowed to edit their posts because they can change something they have said previously to hide embarrassment, or promote hubris. If it was a massive desire by the large majority of the community, I would not actively be a barrier against it, but it's not a good idea, I think.

Voting reforms on what? Elections? Probably: the system in place is not transparent at all (It's near impossible to learn what the elections are like: it's harder than it should be to know they happen at all!). In the debates? I don't know exactly what the major issues are in the voting... maybe a way to 'challenge' a vote would be nice, but it definitely is a difficult issue to work out for certain.

Undoubtedly. I would wonder about adapting the 'person views' on 'candidate' as well. I'd promote the idea of changing it entirely into being a text box you can write in, instead of a dropdown. I want Miliband as my candidate, but he's kinda not running for the American candidacy...

The text editor saving function is something that really annoys me as well. It is something that should be updated.

There are users who can access the moderator account, I believe. As well as 'user moderators', I would reccomend an additional forum section on "DDO System", which would be very nice for helping the community. Something where we can suggest what should be going on in the forums in more depth.

I'll post more later.

I'm glad that politics is becoming more prominent here.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...