Jump to topic:

Why are members becoming less active?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:45:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am starting to miss a lot of the members who were extremely active when I joined the site but have now faded into the background and I barely see them online or posting anything. I can name quite a few of these people who really made me want to be a part of this site: Double_R, Raisor, Ore_Ele, jm_notguilty, DetectableNinja, Andromeda_Z, quarterexchange for a start. None of them post anything anymore :(
I hope they come back.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:51:42 AM
Brotha, it's more true than you know.

Soooo many generations of DDO that have passed. The few of us who are still left from way back-when are truly freaks of nature.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:55:56 AM
The only name I recognise on that list is Ore_Ele, maybe I should get on the forums more often too.

Mind you, when I joined there were no forums, just debates. These days, however, this place is more of a social networking site than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but we shouldn't shift the focus too far away from the core activity of the website.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:58:13 AM
I bet a lot of people will be back when school gets out. Anyone remember VocMusTcrMaloy? He's one of many that left because they're busy during the school year.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:03:37 AM
There are two phases that everyone goes through here on DDO.

The first is the debating phase, where all you can think about is debate debate debate debate debate....... It usually lasts a month or two

The next phase is the forums phase, it lasts a lot longer than the debate phase, particularly if you get into the mafia thing, and this phase can last for months, even years.

But alas, once you get tired of the forums and have long been uninterested in debating, then this site loses its charm, its attractiveness, its sexiness, and people start leaving.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:04:14 AM
I had a similiar feeling when I came back to the site. But then I grew fond of the newer generation off DDOians and it turns out that this batch is a lot more friendly anyhow. It sucks but there are always new member joining that re-liven things up like zaradi, HCP, buddamoose, among others. We will be getting newer people by the week who will replace the lost loved ones in our hearts :p
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:05:55 AM
At 4/13/2012 3:03:37 AM, imabench wrote:
The next phase is the forums phase, it lasts a lot longer than the debate phase, particularly if you get into the mafia thing, and this phase can last for months, even years.

But alas, once you get tired of the forums and have long been uninterested in debating, then this site loses its charm, its attractiveness, its sexiness, and people start leaving.....

This. Times 100. Agree in its entirety. I have left ddo plenty of times for these reasons but always make my way back.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:15:04 AM
At 4/13/2012 3:05:55 AM, TUF wrote:
At 4/13/2012 3:03:37 AM, imabench wrote:

This. Times 100. Agree in its entirety. I have left ddo plenty of times for these reasons but always make my way back.

Ive noticed that Mafia is one of those things where it causes people to leave, but then they come back and they almost go through the same cycle again. I think mafia is like the reset button for experiencing DDO
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:40:26 AM
At 4/13/2012 3:04:14 AM, TUF wrote:
I had a similiar feeling when I came back to the site. But then I grew fond of the newer generation off DDOians and it turns out that this batch is a lot more friendly anyhow. It sucks but there are always new member joining that re-liven things up like zaradi, HCP, buddamoose, among others. We will be getting newer people by the week who will replace the lost loved ones in our hearts :p

True, the newer members have been very friendly. Even some of the older members who never used to post a lot like PartamRuhem and Airmax suddenly made themselves prominent on the site by posting in the forums and I love getting to know them and more people. I also agree that the members who were here before I joined weren't friendly at all. I saw a lot of harrassing threads (askbob), mean people (Sieben), and trolls (charleslb) and I am glad they are gone.

Not too happy that that the members who were actually here when I joined (the ones above) left.

I also agree with Imabench on the cycles. When I was a new member, there was a lot of incentive to debate. There were many active debaters who could give you a run for your money. BlackVoid organized a "New members tournament" for noobs to debate. There were a lot of really good debates to vote on which spawned even more discussion. Those were the good times.

Now, however, it seems as though the site has become more dreary and dull. I hardly see any of the debaters who used to debate a lot debate anymore (Off the top of my head, BlackVoid hasn't debated in two months, I can name many more people).
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 4:13:25 AM
At 4/13/2012 3:40:26 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
True, the newer members have been very friendly. Even some of the older members who never used to post a lot like PartamRuhem and Airmax suddenly made themselves prominent on the site by posting in the forums and I love getting to know them and more people. I also agree that the members who were here before I joined weren't friendly at all. I saw a lot of harrassing threads (askbob), mean people (Sieben), and trolls (charleslb) and I am glad they are gone.

Yes, there are definitely the bad eggs here. I think we are starting to get past a lot of the drama though. Of course we still have a lot of drama come up that causes hate towards other members, but trust me, it is a lot better than the cr@p that used to go on.

The thing is a lot of debaters (being debaters) have that natural ignorance, that they won't give up no matter what. This leads to wide-spread drama. The best thing to do, is to accept the dis-agreement for what it is appolagize to whoever is pissed at you, and move on (I find this method works well in quelling pointless drama).
I also hoped that it would cause more of the more prominent members here to say. But I think it is unanimously decided that the members you listed will not be missed entirely.

Not too happy that that the members who were actually here when I joined (the ones above) left.

That was kind of hard for me too, like I said. At first I felt that DDO would not be the same, and considered leaving. But then I started playing around in the forums, and debating again, and became highly entertained with the new members.

Though I am discerned that some of the members who I was beginning to become rather fond of are becoming less active (BlackHawk, Andro, Lovelife, etc) I am getting over it knowing that the new set of members that are always coming in can be just as entertaining, if not more so (sorry guys!).

I also agree with Imabench on the cycles. When I was a new member, there was a lot of incentive to debate. There were many active debaters who could give you a run for your money. BlackVoid organized a "New members tournament" for noobs to debate. There were a lot of really good debates to vote on which spawned even more discussion. Those were the good times.

Agreed, there really is cycles. I have been through all of them. I recently was on a debate, and forum cycle, when I was jobless, but that got overwhelming and fast. Now I am trying to focus more on the forum cycle, as the mass eruption of personality seems to have caught my interest sprouting from a few debaters.

Now, however, it seems as though the site has become more dreary and dull. I hardly see any of the debaters who used to debate a lot debate anymore (Off the top of my head, BlackVoid hasn't debated in two months, I can name many more people).

I am sorry you feel this way. I honestly don't feel the same. Though I wish I could be more active in the mafia games (hard to do with work now), I am rather enjoying this site lately. But there comes a time when the site will get boring for everyone I suppose. I certainly hope you do not leave thinking it is getting dreary!
Just when you think things get boring, something interesting will always re ignite that spark!
westernmarch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 12:48:09 PM
At 4/13/2012 12:46:19 PM, Scorbie wrote:
Hey I'm new! i like long walks on the beach, Pina Coladas, and dancing in the rain.

Cool.

But yeah this is just a cycle.
People have lives.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:04:09 PM
I argee with Imabench's theory. I'm starting to get into the Mafia thing. (because I have a sucky record)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:17:52 PM
I saw a lot of harrassing threads (askbob), mean people (Sieben), and trolls (charleslb) and I am glad they are gone.

Charleslb is not a troll and he's not gone. In what way is he a troll? He's a just a super verbose Liberal. I've seen nothing from him that indicates that he is trolling.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:20:54 PM
At 4/13/2012 1:17:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I saw a lot of harrassing threads (askbob), mean people (Sieben), and trolls (charleslb) and I am glad they are gone.

Charleslb is not a troll and he's not gone. In what way is he a troll? He's a just a super verbose Liberal. I've seen nothing from him that indicates that he is trolling.

This. People tend not to like him because they disagree with his views and many do not understand his contentions. He is not a troll.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:03:51 PM
At 4/13/2012 2:45:43 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I am starting to miss a lot of the members who were extremely active when I joined the site but have now faded into the background and I barely see them online or posting anything. I can name quite a few of these people who really made me want to be a part of this site: Double_R, Raisor, Ore_Ele, jm_notguilty, DetectableNinja, Andromeda_Z, quarterexchange for a start. None of them post anything anymore :(
I hope they come back.

there's also Kinesis, Superrobotwars, and cerebral_Narcissist
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:05:17 PM
Ive been pretty inactive lately too. Ive been having a lot going on so I cant get on all the time like I used to..
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:46:23 PM
Ive just been busy with school.

I tried to have a more involved debate over my spring break but things fell through (Im looking at you Danielle).

Anyways I doubt things will be much better once school ends because Im going out into the real world and will probably have even less time.

Its hard to do debates with 3 day response times because on the average weekday I have maybe 1-2 hours of free time (if that) and that is both not enough time to write up a good argument and honestly if I have one free hour Id rather spend it reading or catching up on the news.
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 9:55:06 AM
At 4/13/2012 3:46:23 PM, Raisor wrote:
Ive just been busy with school.

I tried to have a more involved debate over my spring break but things fell through (Im looking at you Danielle).

Anyways I doubt things will be much better once school ends because Im going out into the real world and will probably have even less time.

Its hard to do debates with 3 day response times because on the average weekday I have maybe 1-2 hours of free time (if that) and that is both not enough time to write up a good argument and honestly if I have one free hour Id rather spend it reading or catching up on the news.

I agree, I've been busy catching up irl and although I have a decent amount of free time, writing arguments for debates (which take hours for me) isn't probably worth it for me unless the topic's interesting.

And yes, the 72-hour limit is, I believe, too short once you do lots of debates which make you more and more uninterested and eventually lazy.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:41:12 AM
Nice to know someone thought of me. Anyway, I've been really busy with a lot of stuff lately. I'm not sure if that will change in the near future, but I'll still come around from time to time. I definitely agree with the cycles theory, there is only so much a person can argue about before wanting to move on to other things. But I remember Ore_ele talking about a "second wind", I can see that happening too.

I definitely think the site has taken a step backward in terms of the quality of debates. I used to try to hold back on getting into too many debates but they just seemed to find me, now its been months since I've had a good one. I also used to vote frequently, now I have a tough time finding one I actually want to read.

Although sometimes I wonder just how much of that is real as opposed to perception. When we first come to this site most of the topics are new to us, and consequently seem very interesting. But there are only so many topics out there to debate. Even original topics will have a strong resemblance to another topic that has already been debated. I think that as we gain more experience in debating the site appears to get worse, when in reality we are just getting better. I'd say that is probably a big reason why the topic of DDO not being the same as it used to be seems to come up every month.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 12:53:08 PM
I'll be debating ALOT more over the summer, just like I did last summer.

Theres no real motivation to debate online when nearly every weekend is taken up with NFL debate.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 9:10:36 PM
Also guys, don't forget, people have school and stuff.

Just wait til Summer.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 9:12:27 PM
At 4/13/2012 1:20:54 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

This. People tend not to like him because they disagree with his views and many do not understand his contentions. He is not a troll.

I'll just say, the reason I take offense from him is 1) His "Above it all, your inferior" attitude 2) His many, many, many, many offensive contentions that have no backing up whatsoever 3) His constant hate for all things Libertarian, Conservative, and Capitalistic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:10:09 PM
At 4/14/2012 9:12:27 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I'll just say, the reason I take offense from him is 1) His "Above it all, your inferior" attitude 2) His many, many, many, many offensive contentions that have no backing up whatsoever 3) His constant hate for all things Libertarian, Conservative, and Capitalistic.

That's not even what bothers me. Plenty of people (not usually here) do all of that, and I would still be happy to call them friends. It's that, as others have pointed out, he only wants to talk at people and seems to have literally no interest in actual argumentation.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:11:50 PM
I like the new gen of DDO. But I feel that in my heart you can never get over the ones who were with you when you started. :(

It's like Pokemon.
kfc
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:20:41 PM
At 4/14/2012 10:11:50 PM, Koopin wrote:
I like the new gen of DDO. But I feel that in my heart you can never get over the ones who were with you when you started. :(

It's like Pokemon.

For some reason, I really miss cliff.stamp. I didnt really know him, but he was one of the first people to be nice to me here, so I was upset when he left.

I remember you leaving too, and I didn't understand why everyone freaked out so much.

I understand now though <3 :) You're hilarious!!

I also miss izbo...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:23:38 PM
At 4/14/2012 10:10:09 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/14/2012 9:12:27 PM, OberHerr wrote:

That's not even what bothers me. Plenty of people (not usually here) do all of that, and I would still be happy to call them friends. It's that, as others have pointed out, he only wants to talk at people and seems to have literally no interest in actual argumentation.

This.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:27:06 PM
It's not that this website is particularly boring, but I feel kind of disjointed from the community.

I don't know what generation of DDOians I can be considered a part of, but I feel like I really haven't made a lot of real connections on DDO. Of course, that could be, and probably is, my fault. But still: it feels kind of disheartening trying to interact with a community that you don't really feel a part of. It sucks feeling like that one guy who is on the outside of everyone's little circle--where everyone knows the secret handshake except for you, kind of thing.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 10:31:36 PM
At 4/14/2012 10:27:06 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
It's not that this website is particularly boring, but I feel kind of disjointed from the community.

I don't know what generation of DDOians I can be considered a part of, but I feel like I really haven't made a lot of real connections on DDO. Of course, that could be, and probably is, my fault. But still: it feels kind of disheartening trying to interact with a community that you don't really feel a part of. It sucks feeling like that one guy who is on the outside of everyone's little circle--where everyone knows the secret handshake except for you, kind of thing.

That hurts bruh
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett