Jump to topic:

Profile Comments Set to Private Is Stupid

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 5:25:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why would you set your profile comments to "Private." If you want to have a private conversation, there's this option called PM, aka PRIVATE MESSAGING.

It's irritating because when I post on someone's profile, I can't even look at MY OWN comment for reference. It just disappears into oblivion.

This option to make comments private should be abolished. It's retarded and a counter-productive feature. Sorry.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 5:27:28 PM
At 4/13/2012 5:25:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Why would you set your profile comments to "Private." If you want to have a private conversation, there's this option called PM, aka PRIVATE MESSAGING.

It's irritating because when I post on someone's profile, I can't even look at MY OWN comment for reference. It just disappears into oblivion.

This option to make comments private should be abolished. It's retarded and a counter-productive feature. Sorry.

ITS EXACTLY 9000!
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 5:34:16 PM
9000 posts shoop da whoop GeoLaureate.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 6:14:25 PM

I agree with pretty much everything you said, with the exception of your casual use of the word 'retarded'. Get it out of your casual lexicon bro. It makes people who use it look unsophisticated. It seems to be quite popular for constant use among teenagers nowadays, who are in general, unsophisticated and unthoughtful with their word choices...
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 6:30:34 PM
whats the point of private comments I agree lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 6:34:20 PM
As a libertarian, I would expect that you condone people's choices of seemingly stupid things.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 6:41:04 PM
At 4/13/2012 6:14:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I agree with pretty much everything you said, with the exception of your casual use of the word 'retarded'. Get it out of your casual lexicon bro. It makes people who use it look unsophisticated. It seems to be quite popular for constant use among teenagers nowadays, who are in general, unsophisticated and unthoughtful with their word choices...

Whatchoo talking bout foo! You are just sounding retarded... ;-0
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 6:44:47 PM
At 4/13/2012 6:34:20 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
As a libertarian, I would expect that you condone people's choices of seemingly stupid things.

This is a web design issue, not an issue of freedom. Eradicating the ability to make comments private doesn't infringe on any free speech abilities. You have the freedom to say what you want either publicly or privately. Both options are there.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 7:11:02 PM
If you want to see what you previously wrote, send a private message instead. Profile comments are used for simpler communication, and if people want their profile comments to be private, there should be an option for it.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 7:11:55 PM
At 4/13/2012 6:44:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This is a web design issue, not an issue of freedom. Eradicating the ability to make comments private doesn't infringe on any free speech abilities. You have the freedom to say what you want either publicly or privately. Both options are there.

Freedom is the ability to whatever you want (within reasonable measures), without a external force interfering in your doing.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:36:09 PM

Now its OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:41:56 PM
I agree with this. I hate the fact that Profile Comments can be set to private. I cannot even see what I posted earlier on some people's profiles.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:42:57 PM
For this thread, in general.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:45:19 PM
At 4/13/2012 8:42:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:

but you cared enough to go on youtube, find a video, come back to DDO, paste it, AND write a comment lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:46:51 PM
At 4/13/2012 8:45:19 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:42:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:

but you cared enough to go on youtube, find a video, come back to DDO, paste it, AND write a comment lol

Hey, having a chance to post this particular video is ALWAYS worth my time.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:54:44 PM
@Ober,

I kinda care, because it's a site quality thing. Although I don't really understand wall comments, so I don't care about this issue that much, mostly because I don't really get it.

But I do care a lot more about people who have wall comments and PM's turned off entirely. There are a hand full of people right now that I'd like to get in touch with about their poor voting habits lately, and there is conveniently, absolutely no way for me to do so.

I can understand just blocking certain people from sending PMs or from posting to your wall, but to simply block all messages just seems odd to me.
Debate.org Moderator
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:55:54 PM
At 4/13/2012 8:54:44 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
@Ober,

I kinda care, because it's a site quality thing. Although I don't really understand wall comments, so I don't care about this issue that much, mostly because I don't really get it.

But I do care a lot more about people who have wall comments and PM's turned off entirely. There are a hand full of people right now that I'd like to get in touch with about their poor voting habits lately, and there is conveniently, absolutely no way for me to do so.

I can understand just blocking certain people from sending PMs or from posting to your wall, but to simply block all messages just seems odd to me.

Cause people can troll your wall.

Add them?

Or, report them.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 9:06:29 PM
At 4/13/2012 8:55:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:54:44 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
@Ober,

Cause people can troll your wall.

Add them?

Or, report them.

Fair enough... Though blocking specific people who actually troll ones wall seems more reasonable than blocking everyone (and like I said, I still don't understand the value of 'the wall', if my wall were trolled it might be awhile before I even noticed- but that's just me).

I think most people would probably just stop once they are warned and recognize that people take notice (with some some exceptions naturally...) I don't really think reporting them is always the right thing to do. But adding them then, might be a reasonable alternative.
Debate.org Moderator
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 11:04:43 AM
You can always PM the person if you want to be able to reference your past comments. Mine are private because I don't want browsing the Internet or whatever to be able to find my page and link it to who I am as a person based on the comments.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 11:05:24 AM
At 4/14/2012 11:04:43 AM, tulle wrote:
You can always PM the person if you want to be able to reference your past comments. Mine are private because I don't want people browsing the Internet or whatever to be able to find my page and link it to who I am as a person based on the comments.
yang.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 2:25:25 PM
At 4/13/2012 7:11:55 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Freedom is the ability to whatever you want (within reasonable measures), without a external force interfering in your doing.

DDO is privately run. If we went by your understanding, then no trolls would be banned from DDO.

In a free world, private businesses can have signs saying "no pants, no service."

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 4:24:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

It takes like 3 clicks to PM people and one click to profile comment. Go fvck yourself