Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

What do I do?

16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 7:56:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My opponent is arguing the wrong side, and ruined a perfectly good debate I expected to be not so... trolled. He argued the wrong side yet claims no it was I who argued the wrong side, even though the resolution and me being pro easily explains what I am arguing.... He derailed it, what the heck should I do?
http://www.debate.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 7:58:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Point out that your opponent is making statements contradictory to his won position. Easy win.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 7:59:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 7:58:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Point out that your opponent is making statements contradictory to his won position. Easy win.

No, but he claims I am arguing the wrong side, but if you look at the resolution and my side (Pro) it is self explanatory to what I argue.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:02:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
" He defined "concealed carry, or CCW" but neglected to discuss the "law" component of his proposition. Thus, I will take the liberty of defining this term to be "any law which imposes limits or restrictions on concealed handgun carry." I feel that this definition is fair and reasonable, and will result in an educational, fruitful debate."

Yeah it's semantics. It was pretty clear what you meant by concealed carry. If you don't feel like continuing arguing you can mention that your opponent violated the terms of the debate and is basically arguing your side, so it's an automatic concession on your opponent's part.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:03:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 8:02:29 PM, 000ike wrote:
" He defined "concealed carry, or CCW" but neglected to discuss the "law" component of his proposition. Thus, I will take the liberty of defining this term to be "any law which imposes limits or restrictions on concealed handgun carry." I feel that this definition is fair and reasonable, and will result in an educational, fruitful debate."

Yeah it's semantics. It was pretty clear what you meant by concealed carry. If you don't feel like continuing arguing you can mention that your opponent violated the terms of the debate and is basically arguing your side, so it's an automatic concession on your opponent's part.

I think I did, but I will emphasize it more.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:09:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Get high and stop worrying about it! ;)
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:09:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 8:09:13 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Get high and stop worrying about it! ;)

No drugs
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:11:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 7:59:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/13/2012 7:58:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Point out that your opponent is making statements contradictory to his won position. Easy win.

No, but he claims I am arguing the wrong side, but if you look at the resolution and my side (Pro) it is self explanatory to what I argue.:

Point out that (s)he is playing a game of semantics and thus is derailing a perfectly good debate. Sensible voters will be able to see what the resolution is and how it's argued.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:16:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 8:11:42 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 4/13/2012 7:59:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/13/2012 7:58:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Point out that your opponent is making statements contradictory to his won position. Easy win.

No, but he claims I am arguing the wrong side, but if you look at the resolution and my side (Pro) it is self explanatory to what I argue.:

Point out that (s)he is playing a game of semantics and thus is derailing a perfectly good debate. Sensible voters will be able to see what the resolution is and how it's argued.

ok
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:22:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 8:18:24 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Definitely bi-polar for making a forum topic about something small. "You ruined a perfectly good debate."

Being pissed is not bi-polar.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:13:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 8:09:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:09:13 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Get high and stop worrying about it! ;)

No drugs

C'mon marijuana wont hurt you and it will take away every bit of your worries. You will be at peace. :]
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:31:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 10:13:30 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:09:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:09:13 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Get high and stop worrying about it! ;)

No drugs

C'mon marijuana wont hurt you and it will take away every bit of your worries. You will be at peace. :]

I have asthma, no smoke.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 11:25:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
just point out his screw up and move on, dont let it derail the whole debate
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 11:27:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can honestly see the mistake. Since we know that 16kadams is obviously pro-guns it seems obvious to us what the resolution meant, but for a noob it might be more difficult.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 11:31:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 11:27:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I can honestly see the mistake. Since we know that 16kadams is obviously pro-guns it seems obvious to us what the resolution meant, but for a noob it might be more difficult.

lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 11:33:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 11:27:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I can honestly see the mistake. Since we know that 16kadams is obviously pro-guns it seems obvious to us what the resolution meant, but for a noob it might be more difficult.

16k defines it as " refers to the practice of carrying a handgun or other weapon in public in a concealed manner, either on one's person or in proximity"

and his opponent ignores that and comes up with a new definition.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 11:36:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 11:33:52 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/13/2012 11:27:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I can honestly see the mistake. Since we know that 16kadams is obviously pro-guns it seems obvious to us what the resolution meant, but for a noob it might be more difficult.

16k defines it as " refers to the practice of carrying a handgun or other weapon in public in a concealed manner, either on one's person or in proximity"

and his opponent ignores that and comes up with a new definition.

He defines conceal carry as that. Reading the resolution does he mean "conceal handgun laws" as laws that allow or disallow this. It's not that easy to judge. Like I said, If you didn't know 16kadams, I can see it being misinterpreted.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 12:27:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 10:31:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/13/2012 10:13:30 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:09:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/13/2012 8:09:13 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Get high and stop worrying about it! ;)

No drugs

C'mon marijuana wont hurt you and it will take away every bit of your worries. You will be at peace. :]

I have asthma, no smoke.

Bake a bud brownie. :)
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2012 1:43:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it can be said that it is a mutually accepted view that in every problematic situation, the solution is to burn the persons house down.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)