Jump to topic:

A hacker?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:34:19 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Usaf claims he was hacked. Put aside claims he's lying for the moment. Let's narrow down our subjects. Let's take these conditions for hacking:

1) The person wants to inconvenience Usaf OR confound DDO

2) The person has great knowledge of computers OR the person is close to Usaf

3) The person definitely likes short, shorts

So, we must conclude its more than likely, Askbob.

Thoughts?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
AnimeFanTony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:03:39 AM
I think he was hacked as I know he was at camp the past couple of weeks.
Ownership of this account has been transferred from JCMT to I-am-a-panda.
Updates of the next JCMT puppet account pending.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:05:24 AM
You can't just hack any website willy nilly. I am 99% positive he was not hacked. Stop it with all this hack this hack that.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:24:30 AM
At 7/24/2009 7:05:24 AM, s0m31john wrote:
You can't just hack any website willy nilly. I am 99% positive he was not hacked. Stop it with all this hack this hack that.

Aha! *Smokes pipe* Exactly what a hacker would want!
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 9:02:12 AM
At 7/24/2009 7:05:24 AM, s0m31john wrote:

Most people think of hacking as seen in The Matrix. Actually, obtaining someone's password is just as much hacking as anything else. Consider the Twitter incident: http://www.techcrunch.com...
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 9:25:38 AM
Attaining someone's password can be done numerous ways that are not hacking.

One of the most common ways is:

Phishing - In the field of computer security, phishing is the criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.

That is not hacking. Coming across an account logged in at the library or someone else's personal computer is not hacking. That's stupidity on the part of the user.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 9:49:24 AM
I am not sure why john gets so upset when someone says the word, "hack", so please say this account may have been compromised instead of hacked.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 2:13:54 PM
If it is Askbob, then we must attribute something else to the bombing of mongeese. There is no motif for Askbob.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 2:17:08 PM
At 7/24/2009 2:13:54 PM, wjmelements wrote:
If it is Askbob, then we must attribute something else to the bombing of mongeese. There is no motif for Askbob.

Other than to screw with Phil.

Although if that was the case, he would just send thousands of complaints Phil would have to sift through. Remember Josh tried to gather the "They banned me" army. It could be that.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 7:33:19 AM
Ok, Phil and I have discussed, and after proving that I really am usaf, He has restored my account with new passwords and my old stats and emails. My account was taken over through an ip tracker. So there really isnt anything i can do.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 8:25:33 AM
We've been over this before the first time askbob was accused of being the secret boogeyman of debate.org. It simply isn't his style, not to mention that he'd find it a waste of time.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 8:46:40 AM
My account was taken over through an ip tracker.

That doesn't make any sense. An "IP Tracker" can tell a person your approximate location an ISP but that's about it. On top of that they would also have to acquire you're IP address in the first place, meaning you were probably lured to one of their sites so they could get it. Regardless they would not be able to acquire your user name and password. Your story smells bad.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 8:52:39 AM
At 7/26/2009 8:46:40 AM, s0m31john wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. An "IP Tracker" can tell a person your approximate location an ISP but that's about it. On top of that they would also have to acquire you're IP address in the first place, meaning you were probably lured to one of their sites so they could get it. Regardless they would not be able to acquire your user name and password. Your story smells bad.

Yeah, I don't buy it either. I'm sure you yourself john have come across so many people who end up claiming that their brother/friend was using their account or that they were hacked right after they do something trollish.

The thing about not being able to keep up with the TOC due to losing all PM seems to be the only part of the story that feels legitimate. Although one has to wonder what this mysterious rogue would get out of doing this.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 8:53:38 AM
At 7/26/2009 8:46:40 AM, s0m31john wrote:

I was just thinking that. Trackers wouldn't grant someone the ability to see username and password, as they only show where a person is located and I think they also track it through servers (not sure about that one), but either way it does not give access to logins. You would have to hack into someone's browser for that, I believe, since saved logins are stored through the browser into whatever folder (Temp, maybe?).

But, if there is a hacker, they don't have to necessarily lure Usaf on to a website to capture their IP. They could be using DDO for that, as I'm sure the site notes every IP address that visits. This would also mean that a person could easily hack into the DDO database and get Usaf's login as well, no?

I don't know exactly, I'm just throwing possibilities out there.