Jump to topic:

The alternative voting system

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:33:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I noticed in a previous topic that people want/ are thinking about eliminating third party candidates from the election. While I can see the problems with third party candidates, they act as a spoiler effect, I think people should have the freedom to run as president If they want to without having a primary to disqualify them.

Therefore, I suggest the alternative voting system. A youtube video explains it better then me, but I will briefly describe what the alternative voting system is.

The alternative voting system allows you to pick your candidate in order of ranking. For example, If there are 4 candidates running, you will choose your top 3 choice:
1, 2, 3.

Then the votes are tallied up, with only choice #1 mattering. The candidate with the least votes is eliminated. The process continues again, If someone's first choice candidate is eliminated then their second choice candidate is counted. The process is iterated until their are only 2 candidates left

This process eliminates the problem of the spoiler effect and allow people to vote for candidates that are likely to lose, without fear of their vote being "wasted".

Thoughts? Questions?

Alternative vote:

yea:
1)
2)
3)
4)

nay:
1)
2)
3)
4)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:35:39 PM
So people vote 3 times?!?!?!?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:36:33 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:35:39 PM, imabench wrote:

Technically once
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:40:15 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:36:33 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Technically once

Right, you just pick your order preference.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:42:47 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:40:15 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Technically once

Ok i get it

Wouldnt it be hard to keep track of the votes though? there were close to 60 votes in the last election it would get a lot more complicated in this one since we have four campaigns running.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:50:11 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:42:47 PM, imabench wrote:

Technically once

Ok i get it

Wouldnt it be hard to keep track of the votes though? there were close to 60 votes in the last election it would get a lot more complicated in this one since we have four campaigns running.....

Not really, I or someone else can create a program that does it. To make sure there's no tampering, someone else can check the code (for example roylatham or royal who are both computer scientists).
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:51:35 PM
I'd need someone who has matlab or octave to run the program though. Matlab is not free, octave is though.

I'd run it myself, but I think people might think it would be a conflict of interests.
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:55:45 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:50:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Technically once

Ok i get it

Not really, I or someone else can create a program that does it. To make sure there's no tampering, someone else can check the code (for example roylatham or royal who are both computer scientists).

If a program was created by a nonpartisan member, such as Roy or Raisor, or Ore_Ele, I would support the alternative voting system.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:05:35 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:55:45 PM, Contra wrote:

Technically once

Ok i get it

If a program was created by a nonpartisan member, such as Roy or Raisor, or Ore_Ele, I would support the alternative voting system.

We'll have to see if any of them have the time to do it. I just offered to do it because I'd know how to program it. I can see how that would be a conflict of interest though. But royal or roy could check my work.
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:15:37 PM
At 4/21/2012 11:05:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/21/2012 10:55:45 PM, Contra wrote:

Technically once

Ok i get it

We'll have to see if any of them have the time to do it. I just offered to do it because I'd know how to program it. I can see how that would be a conflict of interest though. But royal or roy could check my work.

Good idea
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 12:15:16 AM
The alternative voting system is made of win. I say we do it, and that video is a great argument for why.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 12:44:26 AM
I vote yea. This gives everyone a fair chance as well.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 12:50:37 AM
I can go with it now :D

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 1:04:43 AM
I need to make an analysis of whether this helps or hurts our campaign before I vote yea or nay.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 5:41:43 AM
The difference between AV and STV is negligible when there's no constituencies, and there are a lot of STV calculators around.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 11:04:21 AM
I vote YEA

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 1:55:35 PM
I vote Yea. At least it allows a fairer representation of our likes and favors for the candidates.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 8:43:12 PM
Okay, I strongly agree that we need an Alternative Voting System/ Instant-Runoff Voting.

I propose that we, in the next primary that we hold (if any), or in the general election, candidates list their top 3 candidates and then somebody rearranges them accordingly as the system goes (I would endorse Ore_Ele to do this).

Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 8:45:33 PM
At 4/24/2012 8:43:12 PM, Contra wrote:
Okay, I strongly agree that we need an Alternative Voting System/ Instant-Runoff Voting.

I propose that we, in the next primary that we hold (if any), or in the general election, candidates list their top 3 candidates and then somebody rearranges them accordingly as the system goes (I would endorse Ore_Ele to do this).

Ore_Ele has already stated he won't be returning until the summer.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 8:51:27 PM
At 4/24/2012 8:45:33 PM, Viper-King wrote:
At 4/24/2012 8:43:12 PM, Contra wrote:

Ore_Ele has already stated he won't be returning until the summer.

Okay then, do you think you are competent enough VK to handle this (if DDO approves of this)?