Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

I intend to run for President

tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:22:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been pondering on this for sometime. I intend to run for President, not sit back as VP. If Thaddeus wants to be my VP, he has first preference.

THE PAST
For the past three elections, I have been heavily involved in one group or another.

During my first DDO election (the 3rd DDO presidential election), I half-jokingly formed the Party Party (which was led by FREEDO). It was clearly a joke, but it gained quite a few serious members. When the voting began, innomen came out of nowhere as a write-in with a huge number of votes; apparently he had had a secret, underground campaign going to drum up a whole bunch of votes. When we saw this, Koopin and I immediately switched our support to Cody_Franklin's Freedom Party, which consequently won him the election. I received a position in Cody's cabinet.

During my second DDO election (the 4th DDO presidential election), I acted as VP in askbob's Rivelb Party. I think we made a good combination and had a rock-solid platform, but innomen officially ran against us and we were easily defeated. Shortly after the AnCap's left and I had a relatively long break from DDO.

During my third DDO election (the 5th DDO presidential election), I honestly wanted to have nothing to do with the DDO politics. I had only recently returned, intending only to play mafia, which I missed. I even refused a position in panda/pinko's Rivelb2 Party. However, innomen approached me and asked me to be his VP and after a lengthy discussion, accepted the position. I think innomen would have definitely won without me, but I like to think I secured a few additional votes, giving him a landslide victory.

THE PRESENT
Now, it's growing ever closer to the 6th DDO election. I initially didn't want to run and opted to be Thaddeus's running partner. However, for the past few weeks I've been pondering... Is it time for me to actually run? Should I throw my hat into the arena?

Today, I decided.. Yes.

So... Why should I be elected?

Let's not beat around the bush. Platforms are bullsh!t. I can promise you guys the world and deliver a whole bunch of nothing. Election promises are for chumps and anyone who buys into my fellow candidates lies deserves what they will get; nothing. If I need a platform, I'll simply re-use the one askbob (mainly) and I ran with in the 4th DDO elections; it's undoubtedly the most comprehensive one ever made.

THE FUTURE
So, again... why elect me? I'm essentially calling a spade a spade and a popularity contest a popularity contest.
Not quite.
You see, innomen brought relevance to the position by also being the Juggle-appointed moderator and I hope to keep the position relevant by securing moderator abilities for myself through the same means he did; communication with Juggle.
It's ironic how two people who couldn't be more different (innomen and I) have such a similar view on how this site should be maintained. If elected, I will continue uphold the DDO Constitution written by some of our best and brightest. Like innomen (but perhaps not quite to the same extent or in the same way) I am very easy to relate to, both on a personal level and as a member of the community.

So yeah... tvellalott for President!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:26:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
go 19k/freedoman
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:26:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
well this changes things, did you give thaddeus a heads up before doing this or is this going to be news to him?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:27:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:26:02 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
go 19k/freedoman

you misspelled both of their names.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:28:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:27:52 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/22/2012 7:26:02 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
go 19k/freedoman

you misspelled both of their names.

17k/FREEDOman

Fixed
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:31:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
tvellalot i respect you completely ad nothing will change that, but are you really not promising any change at all except modding abilities for yourself?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:35:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:26:50 PM, imabench wrote:
well this changes things, did you give thaddeus a heads up before doing this or is this going to be news to him?

Well, I spoke to him some time ago about the possibility of switching which of us will run for president, so he knows my intention.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:38:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:35:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/22/2012 7:26:50 PM, imabench wrote:
well this changes things, did you give thaddeus a heads up before doing this or is this going to be news to him?

Well, I spoke to him some time ago about the possibility of switching which of us will run for president, so he knows my intention.

Ok so this is more of a switcheroo of who is going for what position not a complete secession from one campaign to make a new one.... Or am I still way off?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:40:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:31:15 PM, imabench wrote:
tvellalot i respect you completely ad nothing will change that, but are you really not promising any change at all except modding abilities for yourself?

Not at all.
In order for change to happen, Juggle needs to invest time in the site.
If, when and what changes they make is ultimately up to them and anyone who promises they will do one thing or another is out and out lying.

What I can promise is that the DDO Constitution will always be able to evolve under my administration. If the future calls for amendments, I will hold public referendums to pass or veto them.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:45:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:38:22 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/22/2012 7:35:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/22/2012 7:26:50 PM, imabench wrote:
well this changes things, did you give thaddeus a heads up before doing this or is this going to be news to him?

Well, I spoke to him some time ago about the possibility of switching which of us will run for president, so he knows my intention.

Ok so this is more of a switcheroo of who is going for what position not a complete secession from one campaign to make a new one.... Or am I still way off?

I need to speak to Thaddeus about this before I comment further on this change.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Posts: 13,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 7:45:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As someone who doesn't want the boat to get shaken too much, I wholeheartedly support this campaign and its ideals.

While I'm not sure I will vote for Tvellalott, or anyone yet, I really like the idea of continuity...

And so I throw generally indifferent support towards a Tvellalott administration, pending more specific information with regards to it.
Debate.org Moderator
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 9:18:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would appreciate if anyone who feels I can add to this election votes for me in the Presidential Primaries, just so I can pwn my opponents in the various festivities to come.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 10:34:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 7:28:42 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 4/22/2012 7:27:52 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/22/2012 7:26:02 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
go 19k/freedoman

you misspelled both of their names.

17k/FREEDOman

Fixed

Is this your idea of humor?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 10:44:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Couple of questions

Were there some policies under Innomen you didnt agree with? Like did you have conflicting opinions over the trial of Izbo or the Ask_Bob fiasco or the implementation of an extension of the TOS?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:26:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you guys think the president can do anything besides have modding ability, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to what innomen has been saying about Juggle. Juggle has no programmers devoted exclusively to this site anymore. They want all requests made to them to be emailed all at one time on Thursday because they can't be bothered with us. Whatever they imagined this site would become when they first bought it, the site has clearly failed to meet their initially optimistic expectations, and so they are pulling back.

So I respect tv's honesty when he tells you that the president will get nothing accomplished as far as campaign promises.

Given that innomen has made clear he won't run for another term no matter what (and doesn't want to be mod forever either), I'm glad another trustworthy member of the site has decided to step up.

I was worried for a sec that no one would step up and 16kadams would somehow be the most viable candidate.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:37:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 11:26:47 AM, bluesteel wrote:
If you guys think the president can do anything besides have modding ability, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to what innomen has been saying about Juggle. Juggle has no programmers devoted exclusively to this site anymore. They want all requests made to them to be emailed all at one time on Thursday because they can't be bothered with us. Whatever they imagined this site would become when they first bought it, the site has clearly failed to meet their initially optimistic expectations, and so they are pulling back.

So I respect tv's honesty when he tells you that the president will get nothing accomplished as far as campaign promises.

Given that innomen has made clear he won't run for another term no matter what (and doesn't want to be mod forever either), I'm glad another trustworthy member of the site has decided to step up.

I was worried for a sec that no one would step up and 16kadams would somehow be the most viable candidate.

Presidents can change this site, they just cant rely on Juggle and can only use what is in their means to change the site. Hawkings and 16kadams rely quite a bit on Juggle's participation (16kadams does more) but Darkkermit nor Tvellalot needs Juggle's help for anything.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:38:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 11:37:13 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:26:47 AM, bluesteel wrote:
If you guys think the president can do anything besides have modding ability, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to what innomen has been saying about Juggle. Juggle has no programmers devoted exclusively to this site anymore. They want all requests made to them to be emailed all at one time on Thursday because they can't be bothered with us. Whatever they imagined this site would become when they first bought it, the site has clearly failed to meet their initially optimistic expectations, and so they are pulling back.

So I respect tv's honesty when he tells you that the president will get nothing accomplished as far as campaign promises.

Given that innomen has made clear he won't run for another term no matter what (and doesn't want to be mod forever either), I'm glad another trustworthy member of the site has decided to step up.

I was worried for a sec that no one would step up and 16kadams would somehow be the most viable candidate.

Presidents can change this site, they just cant rely on Juggle and can only use what is in their means to change the site. Hawkings and 16kadams rely quite a bit on Juggle's participation (16kadams does more) but Darkkermit nor Tvellalot needs Juggle's help for anything.

Hawkings and I need very little intervention from Juggle. Can you point out a single item on our platform that needs Juggle's aid?
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:41:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 11:38:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:37:13 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:26:47 AM, bluesteel wrote:
If you guys think the president can do anything besides have modding ability, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to what innomen has been saying about Juggle. Juggle has no programmers devoted exclusively to this site anymore. They want all requests made to them to be emailed all at one time on Thursday because they can't be bothered with us. Whatever they imagined this site would become when they first bought it, the site has clearly failed to meet their initially optimistic expectations, and so they are pulling back.

So I respect tv's honesty when he tells you that the president will get nothing accomplished as far as campaign promises.

Given that innomen has made clear he won't run for another term no matter what (and doesn't want to be mod forever either), I'm glad another trustworthy member of the site has decided to step up.

I was worried for a sec that no one would step up and 16kadams would somehow be the most viable candidate.

Presidents can change this site, they just cant rely on Juggle and can only use what is in their means to change the site. Hawkings and 16kadams rely quite a bit on Juggle's participation (16kadams does more) but Darkkermit nor Tvellalot needs Juggle's help for anything.

Hawkings and I need very little intervention from Juggle. Can you point out a single item on our platform that needs Juggle's aid?

"Changing the Terms and Services, section T, which removes the right to free speech, for the following reasons:

a) It does not take into account context. A user (such as FREEDO) who posts about someone sarcastically, or for a joke, is still technically breaking this term.
b) The breaking of this term is accepted behaviour (by e.g. imabench, innomen, lordknukle), as it holds little to no real damage to the site. Accordingly, the site's Terms and Services should reflect that, in order for them to have worth and value.

6 - Reforming the Terms and Services to fit the current circumstance.
a) This shall be in the form of reviews of point T
b) Furthermore, a more general review in the T&S, as well as privacy policy."
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:43:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hawkings is running a respectable campaign but he is relying on Juggle for some of his promises which will probably not come about. 16kadams on the other hand..... Well you already know
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:46:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 11:41:51 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:38:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:37:13 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:26:47 AM, bluesteel wrote:
If you guys think the president can do anything besides have modding ability, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to what innomen has been saying about Juggle. Juggle has no programmers devoted exclusively to this site anymore. They want all requests made to them to be emailed all at one time on Thursday because they can't be bothered with us. Whatever they imagined this site would become when they first bought it, the site has clearly failed to meet their initially optimistic expectations, and so they are pulling back.

So I respect tv's honesty when he tells you that the president will get nothing accomplished as far as campaign promises.

Given that innomen has made clear he won't run for another term no matter what (and doesn't want to be mod forever either), I'm glad another trustworthy member of the site has decided to step up.

I was worried for a sec that no one would step up and 16kadams would somehow be the most viable candidate.

Presidents can change this site, they just cant rely on Juggle and can only use what is in their means to change the site. Hawkings and 16kadams rely quite a bit on Juggle's participation (16kadams does more) but Darkkermit nor Tvellalot needs Juggle's help for anything.

Hawkings and I need very little intervention from Juggle. Can you point out a single item on our platform that needs Juggle's aid?

"Changing the Terms and Services, section T, which removes the right to free speech, for the following reasons:

a) It does not take into account context. A user (such as FREEDO) who posts about someone sarcastically, or for a joke, is still technically breaking this term.
b) The breaking of this term is accepted behaviour (by e.g. imabench, innomen, lordknukle), as it holds little to no real damage to the site. Accordingly, the site's Terms and Services should reflect that, in order for them to have worth and value.

6 - Reforming the Terms and Services to fit the current circumstance.
a) This shall be in the form of reviews of point T
b) Furthermore, a more general review in the T&S, as well as privacy policy."

That section actually refers to drawing up a new charter. We don't need Juggle to do that. Innomen did something similar last week, for example.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:48:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Innomen added an extension to the terms of Service, he didnt reform it.

There is also this,

"10 - An update of the Big Issues, to modernise the system

a) Instead of rapidly changing and the geographically dependent section stating McCain/Bush etc., it shall be replaced by a "text box" where one can add any candidate (e.g. Miliband)"
http://www.debate.org...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:52:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 11:50:44 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Those are all very minor things. Most of our platform requires little interaction with Juggle.

I didnt say that a majority of your platform relies on Juggle's help
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:59:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Of the major factors of our platform, that is, the major things we are pushing, we require no assistance from Juggle themselves.

Of the things we do require assistance on, they are extremely minor. The biggest change is on point 10, big issues, which exists in every candidate running, so it is a moot point. With the terms and conditions, it is a change of text: the kind of change that takes less than 5 minutes.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 12:05:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 11:59:42 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Of the major factors of our platform, that is, the major things we are pushing, we require no assistance from Juggle themselves.

Of the things we do require assistance on, they are extremely minor. The biggest change is on point 10, big issues, which exists in every candidate running, so it is a moot point. With the terms and conditions, it is a change of text: the kind of change that takes less than 5 minutes.

Neither us nor Tvellalot have claimed that we will promise to reform the big issues.... Only you and 16k are promising that, and it is a very big issue to people that you dont want to not deliver.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 2:21:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Couple of questions to TV

Were there some policies under Innomen you didnt agree with? Like did you have conflicting opinions over the trial of Izbo or the Ask_Bob fiasco or the implementation of an extension of the TOS?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 3:17:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I heartily endorse this switch. Recently I have been considering how much time I realistically could devote to DDO in the future, and this seems perfect to address these concerns. I also do believe that TV is a superior candidate for the job, so it would be pure vanity for me to continue to run in spite of this.

I also accept TV's offer as his VP
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 3:30:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/23/2012 2:21:28 PM, imabench wrote:
Couple of questions to TV

Were there some policies under Innomen you didnt agree with? Like did you have conflicting opinions over the trial of Izbo or the Ask_Bob fiasco or the implementation of an extension of the TOS?

^
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227