Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

About Plagiarism

Add Post
Forum Moderator

4/25/2012 5:13:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As a mod I'm unsure what the best course of action should be. At first I tried to go in and edit out the plagiarized comments, but that's a major hassle, and doesn't really accomplish that much.

Unless there are better suggestions, I will simply allow the voters to decide in conduct and even argument; which means I will refrain from doing anything.

Again, I am open to suggestions.

innomen
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:16:29 PM
Can someone explain what's going on to me? Was there widespread plagiarism or something?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:16:50 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:16:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
Can someone explain what's going on to me? Was there widespread plagiarism or something?

Everyone was taking all of my arguments and recycling them :p
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:18:27 PM
When I see it in debates, I just point it out in my RFD and award conduct (and usually arguments) to the other person. I'm not really sure what else there is you can do, or actually should do...

People who plagiarize will get a reputation for doing so, and that's generally all the 'justice' that is required.

Is there some kind of excess of plagiarism going on lately?
Debate.org Moderator
Add Post
Forum Moderator

4/25/2012 5:19:05 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:16:29 PM, thett3 wrote:

There were a few reports.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:21:31 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:19:54 PM, Mirza wrote:
If a debater is clearly plagiarizing, then all 7 points should be given to his opponent.

If he plagarizes his ENTIRE arguments I would award all 7 to the opponent, if its less than half or the plagarized part only is about a sub-issue of the overall argument then ill only give conduct to the opponent.

Does this have anything to do with that FED debate?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:24:18 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:21:31 PM, imabench wrote:
If he plagarizes his ENTIRE arguments I would award all 7 to the opponent, if its less than half or the plagarized part only is about a sub-issue of the overall argument then ill only give conduct to the opponent.
Plagiarism is not justified, and if a significant amount of a debater's arguments are plagiarized, then he should lose all points. That's the simplest way of combating plagiarism. If every third paragraph is plagiarized, then it's enough to be punished.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:41:41 PM
I agree that there is nothing that should be done about plagiarism from a mod standpoint. It would be way too difficult to control and the users will certainly ensure the proper outcome.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:59:13 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:41:41 PM, Double_R wrote:
I agree that there is nothing that should be done about plagiarism from a mod standpoint. It would be way too difficult to control and the users will certainly ensure the proper outcome.

+1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 6:28:30 AM

I agree. rather we should shame them via RFD and a loss of a TON of points (i.e., a loss in a LANDSLIDE vote).
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:14:04 AM
If a debater is clearly plagiarizing, then all 7 points should be given to his opponent.

^this.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:23:36 AM
At 4/25/2012 5:59:13 PM, imabench wrote:

+1

+2
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:50:50 AM
At 4/26/2012 11:24:11 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
What debate are we talking about? I would like to see it.

There were 3 reports concerning 3 debates, I don't even remember which ones. Thing is, I get this occasionally and generally just dismiss the report, but feel a little badly that I'm not following up. Sometimes I'll put a message in the debate saying essentially what was said here.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 12:15:34 PM

This was the one I voted on that I think might be it, theres a lot of good arguments and only a few were copy pasted which is why I personally only gave away the conduct point rather than the whole 7 points

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 3:54:56 PM
Some questions:
1. What does RFD stand for?
2. What would be considered "plagiarism?" Could someone use another person's sources or argument's if he retypes them out himself?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 4:20:48 PM
At 4/26/2012 3:54:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Some questions:

Reason for decision, like reason for voting pro/con

2. What would be considered "plagiarism?" Could someone use another person's sources or argument's if he retypes them out himself?

depends
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 4:24:16 PM
At 4/26/2012 3:54:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Some questions:

RFD is short for reason for decision, you have to type it out when you vote for a debate. And plagiarism is most commonly copy/paste of someone's arguments or rewording it just so it doesn't seem totally similar. When you type an argument, you have to do it in your way, freely using the experience you have on that argument. Rewording is usually bad. And sources don't count, I guess, since they are open to anyone on the internet. Unless you copy/paste them with the argument.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 7:14:44 AM

I would agree with this - if there is plagarism here and there, especially in the opening post, then maybe just a conduct point. If the entire thing is plagarized or if each round has plagarism, then 7 to the opponent, unless the opponent is plagarizing too.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 7:17:00 AM

Here's one - the Pro seems to have essentially cut and pasted WLC arguments while the Con lifted the entire argument. It came from a blog though, so the blog could be the Con's blog:
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 8:43:48 PM
At 4/27/2012 8:34:18 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
Have a warning system set in place. 3 times plagiarized, then ban them.

Or we can just put them on trial.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 10:20:02 PM
At 4/27/2012 10:18:15 PM, Cobo wrote:
Wait....we have mods?

Innomen is the mod. You didn't knnow that?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 10:31:54 PM
At 4/27/2012 10:20:02 PM, Microsuck wrote:
At 4/27/2012 10:18:15 PM, Cobo wrote:
Wait....we have mods?

Innomen is the mod. You didn't knnow that?
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 10:45:21 AM
Failing to acknowledge the source of copied arguments is a conduct violation, but no worse. In school, students are graded based upon their work being original, so copying is an academic felony. However, in a general debate it's permissible to argue by using long quotations. What counts is the quality of the arguments, not who made them up. If Jefferson worded an argument on separation of church and state better than you can, it's perfectly okay to quote Jefferson. The source should be acknowledge, but if it is not then the argument still stands on its merits.

What usual happens is that a debater who copies most of case is unable to defend it. It often happens that a strong opening case that was copied is followed by a forfeit or an incredibly lame rebuttal.

If you suspect plagiarism, do a web search on a long phrase from the argument. Phrases with unusual words work best, but almost any long phrase will do. This will usually reveal the source.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 5:00:38 PM
At 4/28/2012 10:45:21 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Failing to acknowledge the source of copied arguments is a conduct violation, but no worse. In school, students are graded based upon their work being original, so copying is an academic felony. However, in a general debate it's permissible to argue by using long quotations. What counts is the quality of the arguments, not who made them up. If Jefferson worded an argument on separation of church and state better than you can, it's perfectly okay to quote Jefferson. The source should be acknowledge, but if it is not then the argument still stands on its merits.
That's not a proper way of looking at the issue. The argument might be good, but will give 3 points to the plagiarist if his un-sourced arguments (most likely on purpose) are better than his opponent's. This is nonsensical and shouldn't be tolerated whatsoever. Conduct point is just 1.

I guess we can just find the best books on certain subjects, copy-paste everything relevant, and win arguments. Losing conduct is 1 point. It's a win-win for the plagiarist.