Plagiarism

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 5:42:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
From the ToS http://www.debate.org...:

Will not upload, copy, distribute, share, sell, create derivative works of, or otherwise alter or use any Content, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever except as expressly authorized in this Agreement; and to do so in any manner exceeding the scope of your rights to use such Content (e.g., license rights associated with premium content or subscription-based materials), without permission from the Content owner, or otherwise in violation of another person's rights to such Content.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 5:48:46 PM
At 4/27/2012 5:42:56 PM, Microsuck wrote:

Will not upload, copy, distribute, share, sell, create derivative works of, or otherwise alter or use any Content, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever except as expressly authorized in this Agreement; and to do so in any manner exceeding the scope of your rights to use such Content (e.g., license rights associated with premium content or subscription-based materials), without permission from the Content owner, or otherwise in violation of another person's rights to such Content.

I see you've followed this to the 't'
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 5:51:54 PM

Like said, I'm no lawyer but that's ^ not plagiarism right? What was just described concerns copyright.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 5:58:00 PM
At 4/27/2012 5:51:54 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

Like said, I'm no lawyer but that's ^ not plagiarism right? What was just described concerns copyright.

plagiarism may or may not involve breach of copyright, but using someone else's information and pretending it is your own is. This section is more or less ignored, though, as well as other sections of the Terms, because of the problems that would occur if we abide strictly by the terms. e.g. Section T would result in near everyone being banned.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:04:14 PM
At 4/27/2012 5:41:21 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:
Does anyone know if any rule is written on this site dealing with plagiarism?

There's no excuse for plagiarism.

People have been paraphrasing what should be plagiarism for thousands of years.

It's called research.

Read it. Put it in your own words. Anything else is laziness.

If you are caught, you will lose all credibility on this site. So what can you possibly gain other than a quick fix to a debate that leaves a ticking time bomb on your debate history?
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:06:10 PM
At 4/27/2012 5:58:00 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:51:54 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

plagiarism may or may not involve breach of copyright, but using someone else's information and pretending it is your own is. This section is more or less ignored, though, as well as other sections of the Terms, because of the problems that would occur if we abide strictly by the terms. e.g. Section T would result in near everyone being banned.

Ah, I see. Now that just puts things into perspective for me. Thanks Stephen! Here I thought I made an "Epic Fail." Gee golly.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:12:47 PM

Did Microsuck just plagiarize the part of the TOS that bans plagiarizing?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:12:47 PM
At 4/27/2012 6:04:14 PM, Wnope wrote:

It's called research.

If you are caught, you will lose all credibility on this site. So what can you possibly gain other than a quick fix to a debate that leaves a ticking time bomb on your debate history?

It seems all the stuff debated on this site is either taken from current scholarly or popular ideas. Plagiarism is something to be careful about at school. But when you're limited to ~8k words, on an unprofessional forum that has a debate template, and no more room exists for a "Citations" section, I don't consider it that big of a deal to be honest.

But since some people get butt hurt easily, I'll cite everything.

Hey now new question! ... What happens to the credibility of a guy who, oh I dunno, changes his alias often?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:13:48 PM
At 4/27/2012 6:12:47 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

It's called research.

It seems all the stuff debated on this site is either taken from current scholarly or popular ideas. Plagiarism is something to be careful about at school. But when you're limited to ~8k words, on an unprofessional forum that has a debate template, and no more room exists for a "Citations" section, I don't consider it that big of a deal to be honest.

Hey now new question! ... What happens to the credibility of a guy who, oh I dunno, changes his alias often?

Usually doesnt end well for him
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:13:50 PM
At 4/27/2012 6:12:47 PM, imabench wrote:

Did Microsuck just plagiarize the part of the TOS that bans plagiarizing?

In all honesty it was me. I got copyright permission from the Rev but ran out of room for a citations page.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:16:55 PM

It's called research.

All you need for a citation is something like:

Neuroscientist Steven Pinker says that "blah de blah"
A May 1984 issue of the New Yorker noted "blah de blah."

Plagiarism is:

Blah de blah.

Anything that a moron with three minutes and a google connection can find doesn't need more than a few words.

As for changing aliases often...it at least suggests something is off.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:18:54 PM
At 4/27/2012 6:16:55 PM, Wnope wrote:

It's called research.

All you need for a citation is something like:

Neuroscientist Steven Pinker says that "blah de blah"
A May 1984 issue of the New Yorker noted "blah de blah."

Plagiarism is:

Blah de blah.

Anything that a moron with three minutes and a google connection can find doesn't need more than a few words.

As for changing aliases often...it at least suggests something is off.

Lesson learned... can't say the same for an alias changer though that's not my problem.