Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Debate Lengths-- Changes Are Needed

WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:46:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe that DDO should put another option besides the 8,000 character one. The difference between characters and and words is immense. I believe there should be a word option or something similar. Having more than 1,500 words can put you over 8,000. Also, spacing should not count for words, and unfortunately, it does at the moment.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:47:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
May I ask why?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:50:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Because, Word Documents only show word counts, not characters, or at least not blatantly, and if I write a debate case and want to run it on the site and it's too long, I have to cut out crucial arguments, which sucks, because this site is about debating. If I can't actually and fully debate, then there's no point of using this site.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:51:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
16k characters ;D
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:52:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:52:14 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:51:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:
16k characters ;D

That's what I'm talking about.

No, the joke it my name is 16kadams, aka 16k.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:53:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:50:30 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
Because, Word Documents only show word counts, not characters, or at least not blatantly, and if I write a debate case and want to run it on the site and it's too long, I have to cut out crucial arguments, which sucks, because this site is about debating. If I can't actually and fully debate, then there's no point of using this site.

Hmm, I see your point.

However, can't you do a character count list as well?

I am almost positive on Word you can.

And as for the other issue, being spacing problems, I have no idea how fix that.

We would be lucky if Juggle updated BI, let alone something like that.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:53:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:52:54 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:52:14 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:51:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:
16k characters ;D

That's what I'm talking about.

No, the joke is my name is 16kadams, aka 16k.

fixed and we shoudl totally make it 16,000
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:55:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's possible to go off-limits already, but I don't think we should have too many character counts. We have a problem of people not reading good debates. It would be a bigger problem if these debates became longer. I'd say 12k is proper.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:56:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:53:09 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:50:30 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
Because, Word Documents only show word counts, not characters, or at least not blatantly, and if I write a debate case and want to run it on the site and it's too long, I have to cut out crucial arguments, which sucks, because this site is about debating. If I can't actually and fully debate, then there's no point of using this site.

Hmm, I see your point.

However, can't you do a character count list as well?

I am almost positive on Word you can.

And as for the other issue, being spacing problems, I have no idea how fix that.

We would be lucky if Juggle updated BI, let alone something like that.

Well, regardless of whether or not you can do a character count in word, 8k characters is still very constricting, especially on a debating website.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:57:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:55:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
It's possible to go off-limits already, but I don't think we should have too many character counts. We have a problem of people not reading good debates. It would be a bigger problem if these debates became longer. I'd say 12k is proper.

Most of my stuff doesn't hit 12k, and 12k is about three pages, so I wouldn't complain if it were upped to that.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 5:57:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:53:18 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:52:54 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:52:14 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 4/30/2012 5:51:42 PM, 16kadams wrote:
16k characters ;D

That's what I'm talking about.

No, the joke is my name is 16kadams, aka 16k.

fixed and we shoudl totally make it 16,000

Ha. Haha. Ha. I get it.
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 8:17:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 5:50:30 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
Because, Word Documents only show word counts, not characters, or at least not blatantly, and if I write a debate case and want to run it on the site and it's too long, I have to cut out crucial arguments, which sucks, because this site is about debating. If I can't actually and fully debate, then there's no point of using this site.

Word shows character count, including spaces and excluding them.

I've taken to not even reading five round debates, and four round debates too, unless the first round is acceptances. People need to learn to be concise, to get to the point. Otherwise, they bore their readers.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 8:21:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What about a progressive system? For example, the first round would be say, 6000 characters, the next one be 8000 and the last one be 10000 characters. However, really long debates are boring to read, or at least dreadfully time-consuming. I like the system the way it is.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 8:30:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 8:21:53 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
What about a progressive system? For example, the first round would be say, 6000 characters, the next one be 8000 and the last one be 10000 characters. However, really long debates are boring to read, or at least dreadfully time-consuming. I like the system the way it is.

But if you're doing an actual practice round for an actual topic, it's inconvenient to have your case cut down.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 8:33:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 8:30:48 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 4/30/2012 8:21:53 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
What about a progressive system? For example, the first round would be say, 6000 characters, the next one be 8000 and the last one be 10000 characters. However, really long debates are boring to read, or at least dreadfully time-consuming. I like the system the way it is.

But if you're doing an actual practice round for an actual topic, it's inconvenient to have your case cut down.

Eh. Touche. But, for my purposes, 8,000 characters is plenty.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 9:26:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/30/2012 8:33:59 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 4/30/2012 8:30:48 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 4/30/2012 8:21:53 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
What about a progressive system? For example, the first round would be say, 6000 characters, the next one be 8000 and the last one be 10000 characters. However, really long debates are boring to read, or at least dreadfully time-consuming. I like the system the way it is.

But if you're doing an actual practice round for an actual topic, it's inconvenient to have your case cut down.

Eh. Touche. But, for my purposes, 8,000 characters is plenty.

But you also have to look at the total character limit. 5 rounds * 8,000 = 40,000 is the maximum.

Trouble is, its common for people to just have the first round just for acceptance/definitions. So there (effective real ?) maximum is 4 rounds * 8,0000 = 32,000.

Does that mean 5 round debates that don't really use the first round should be able to have 4 rounds at 10,000 each ? Would anyone support this ? yes, no or other ?

Then what about debates that only have 3 rounds..........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12