Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Leave DDO

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:06:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I came back to check up on you guys -- not to post but just to see how things were going -- and what I saw is exactly what I expected: controversy.

You guys can't seem to get enough of it. More vote bombing, more "hacked" accounts, more complaining about Phil, more stupidity, more dissatisfaction with the site. If I still posted on Debate Fans, I would be having a field day.

When I left, some of you guys asked "why?" and at that time I was so sick of this place that I didn't even feel like explaining. I guess some time has passed. I left because you guys are a bunch of morons. During my stay here, I was very diligent with my whole "let's just coexist and harmony" attitude. You guys still don't get it.

It's the same, repeated shtick over and over. Can't you guys just get over yourselves?

What's more is that you guys are completely close-minded. Be honest. This is not a place you truly come to learn. This is a place where you come to vent your frustration, and argue, and argue, and argue. And politics is not enough still. You fight with one another, and cause controversy, and become angrier.

I strongly encourage you all to leave DDO, but I know you won't. You guys are insane.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:10:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is either:

1) A hacked Poejoe

2) Poejoe got dumped and needs to interwebs rage in a place without repercussions.

3) More dark, dark humour

Anyway, your message didn't' spread to newer members. And don't act high and mighty. You are no more of a moron than Kleptin or Volkov

TO ALL NEWBS:

Don't get too p^ssy with him.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:10:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Actually, I've come to a respect for other people's viewpoints: Volkov, for instance.

I've also learned a lot here. I've come to understand new perspectives and justifications.

I think you're only referring to a few people.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:16:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
That's all well and fine PoeJoe, and thanks for taking the time to re-activate your account to chastise us, but frankly, I don't agree completely.

Some of the members here, myself included, can be at times, over-dramatic and stupid. We fret over silly things and organize to stop what we perceive to be attacks against it.

But, we are allowed to do as such. It takes away from the perceived benefits we glean from the site.
Vote-bombing serves to dissuade certain people from voting, either because they care about the stats or they feel it is useless if all their debates, debates that some people truly put passion into, are treated like crap.
Trolling in the forums takes away from what can be a generalized and excellent discussion, as these people come in to purposely ruin any conversation.

I could go on, but the point is that some people take these things seriously, and not just because they "can't get over themselves." A lot of people do come on to learn, and are successful at it. I myself came on to do exactly that, and I've learned many things while here. But some people want to destroy that benefit for me; if you think I'm overreacting, so be it, but it really doesn't matter. I'll organize and complain about things that ruin such benefits for me; you'll come back to chastise us for ruining a perceived benefit for you. The world goes on.

So, unlike you, I won't leave DDO, because I "can't get over myself." I think this site can improve, and I'll work towards that. Even if it can't, I'm happy with what I'm getting now. I think many others agree with me.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:28:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Alright, PoeJoe. I'll be honest. While you were here, I appreciated your DDO enthusiasm even if I thought it was more than a little dorky. That's because the truth is that we ALL love this site; if we didn't, we wouldn't spend so much damn time here. That said, your criticism of the site is what's REALLY lame. You might think that you're shedding light upon some dramatic epiphany, but really you're being entirely hypocritical in bringing more negativity to the community.

So what exactly are you whining about? Vote bombing? So what. I have always thought this was rubbish; some people find it important though, the same way some people find DebateFans important (I don't). Everyone gets their jollies from different aspects of DDO. Some come here to troll. Some come just to debate. Some come to feel good about themselves via win ratios. Some come for the forums/forum games. Whatever. Everyone has different objectives, so to speak, and obviously people are going to butt heads. That's part of the fun.

And what's wrong with people complaining about the site/Phil? He's only mentioned because he's in charge, and people only complain about the site because they care. The same way you once cared (and still do, apparently). So what's your point, PJ? Maybe the rest of us don't want a hand-holding peaceful DDO where everyone gets along and agrees on everything etc etc. It seems to me that the very thing you're bitching about (negativity) is exactly what you're bringing around. So...
President of DDO
patsox834
Posts: 406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:40:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/29/2009 3:06:44 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I came back to check up on you guys -- not to post but just to see how things were going -- and what I saw is exactly what I expected: controversy.

You guys can't seem to get enough of it. More vote bombing, more "hacked" accounts, more complaining about Phil, more stupidity, more dissatisfaction with the site. If I still posted on Debate Fans, I would be having a field day.

When I left, some of you guys asked "why?" and at that time I was so sick of this place that I didn't even feel like explaining. I guess some time has passed. I left because you guys are a bunch of morons. During my stay here, I was very diligent with my whole "let's just coexist and harmony" attitude. You guys still don't get it.

It's the same, repeated shtick over and over. Can't you guys just get over yourselves?

What's more is that you guys are completely close-minded. Be honest. This is not a place you truly come to learn. This is a place where you come to vent your frustration, and argue, and argue, and argue. And politics is not enough still. You fight with one another, and cause controversy, and become angrier.

I strongly encourage you all to leave DDO, but I know you won't. You guys are insane.

You're seriously a moron of epic proportions.
patsox834
Posts: 406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:42:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/29/2009 3:28:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Alright, PoeJoe. I'll be honest. While you were here, I appreciated your DDO enthusiasm even if I thought it was more than a little dorky. That's because the truth is that we ALL love this site; if we didn't, we wouldn't spend so much damn time here. That said, your criticism of the site is what's REALLY lame. You might think that you're shedding light upon some dramatic epiphany, but really you're being entirely hypocritical in bringing more negativity to the community.

...and we have a winner.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:48:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Now now LM. This is the internet.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:55:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Isn't it amusing how he reactivated just to post and then deactivated again? I'm sure he'll be back, he obviously cares at least a little about the drama of DDO. I know I do, where else can one find this much amusement?
Clockwork
Posts: 349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 4:06:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/29/2009 3:06:44 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
controversy.
You guys can't seem to get enough of it.
complaining stupidity dissatisfaction
It's the same, repeated shtick over and over.
What's more is that you guys are completely close-minded. Be honest. This is not a place you truly come to learn. This is a place where you come to vent your frustration, and argue, and argue, and argue. And politics is not enough still. You fight with one another, and cause controversy, and become angrier.
I strongly encourage you all to leave DDO, but I know you won't. You guys are insane.

Substitute "DDO" with "humanity". Welcome to the real world and to coexisting with other humans, just don't be an a**-hole about it.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 6:56:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
@Poejoe

You're young and inexperienced, and you are suggesting something impractical and idealistic. You will find drama everywhere. The fact that DDO is not a utopia should not be a reason to leave. If we follow that Philosophy, we should all just commit mass suicide.

I really do hope that this is someone hacking your account, Poejoe, because I really liked you during your stay and was really sad to see you go. I don't want a message like this to be my last memory of you because it leaves me with a very foul taste in my mouth. I will just assume this is not you.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 8:49:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/29/2009 3:06:44 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I came back to check up on you guys -- not to post but just to see how things were going -- and what I saw is exactly what I expected: controversy.

Hm, let's see. I wonder what the purpose of this website is...oh yeah, to DEBATE. Look, you have a website that gathers tons of people who are opinionated and can stick to their beliefs, so of course controversies will appear.

And when did controversies ever become something bad? Unless we all are just agreeing to disagree, which I would say isn't the case for most of us, then there's nothing to be ashamed about.

You guys can't seem to get enough of it. More vote bombing, more "hacked" accounts, more complaining about Phil, more stupidity, more dissatisfaction with the site. If I still posted on Debate Fans, I would be having a field day.

And what's wrong with all of that? If people are getting vote bombed then why not ask for more views? If accounts are getting hacked, though phishing is probably the case, then why not post a forum telling everyone what happened before your reputation and trust is ruined? If the updates on this website are very far behind, then why the hell not complain?

When I left, some of you guys asked "why?" and at that time I was so sick of this place that I didn't even feel like explaining. I guess some time has passed. I left because you guys are a bunch of morons. During my stay here, I was very diligent with my whole "let's just coexist and harmony" attitude. You guys still don't get it.

Idealism is nice and all, but it's nothing in reality. Tell me one successful website where the community doesn't have ANY bickering, just all happy harmony and spring birds chirping around. Come on, no place is like that. Sure, people may shut their traps and not talk about it publicly, but you know in the end many people don't get along. Whether it be a bar or Congress, perfect harmony is not feasible.

It's the same, repeated shtick over and over. Can't you guys just get over yourselves?

What's more is that you guys are completely close-minded. Be honest. This is not a place you truly come to learn. This is a place where you come to vent your frustration, and argue, and argue, and argue. And politics is not enough still. You fight with one another, and cause controversy, and become angrier.

Hm, PoeJoe it seems you still don't understand the purpose of this website - debating. People do it for different reasons. To win, to convert others, to learn, etc. Learning is truly one of my goals, but it isn't my only one. And for the others - who knows. They can be here because they love winning debates, and who the heck doesn't? Or maybe they want to convert others to their religion, like what GodSands seems to be intent on doing. Whatever it is, you seem to be stuck with some illusion that the "proper purpose" of coming to this website is to learn?

I strongly encourage you all to leave DDO, but I know you won't. You guys are insane.

I strongly encourage you get off your high horse and slap yourself.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 8:55:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
There isn't much more I can say that hasn't been said - TheLwerd, Clockwork, and Kleptin particularly.

Like Clockwork and Kleptin said, there will be drama no matter where you go. Some of it will be stupid and pointless, some of it will be justified - depending on the perspective, of course. To someone who enjoys their time here, some of the drama is not pointless and stupid. Any drama that is pointless can easily be ignored.

As for not learning, I would have to strongly disagree. I know that I have personally learned quite a bit. Sometimes I have learned from those sharing my beliefs. From them I have learned some issues much more in depth. At other times I learn from an opposing viewpoint. From them I have learned alternate perspectives - I have even had my mind changed on a few issues.

Finally, some people come here for camaraderie. I know you used to - moreso than anyone else currently or in the past, so I don't know why you would put people down for this aspect. I understand your frustration, but I hope you reconsider some of your more negative memories of this place.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 9:11:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It does sadden me that you feel the need to actively attack the community. You are frustrated and disillusioned and that's okay. You don't need to try to bring us all down with you.
Chuckles
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 2:50:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
well, like PLENTY of people have brought up, that's life on the interwebs and that's life in HUMANITY. You're not gonna get everyone to agree, and most likely you're not even going to get them to get along. Do what you will, but i don't bother with it unless it bothers me. Don't read the lame sh#t. just ignore it, let it be. Either it will work itself out or not, but at least you're not in the middle of it shouting "let's all just take a step back here!"
Interwebs, Humanity = Conflict, Sh#t= normal life.
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile