Jump to topic:

Questions to ask yourself to candidates

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 7:00:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
These are the questions you should ask yourself when the next election comes about, and my position is passed on.

Why does this person want to be President?

Is it more about ego feeding than it is about the genuine concern for the site and the community?

Will this person serve and represent everyone on this site with impartiality and equality?

Will this person only surround themselves with like minded people and ignore, and perhaps exclude those who think differently or might be critical?

Do you believe that this person will be committed to the site, and understand that it is a responsibility that must be carried out through their term, not just surrounding the election itself.

Do you think that this person will contribute to the position of President, continuing to add relevance to the office, perhaps at the expense of their own ego?

I think everyone understands the direction I'm going with these questions. My greatest concern is that the position will go backward and will lose substantive relevance, so that it is merely a meaningless title, the result of a site wide popularity contest. Upon the end of my term I will issue a statement, a farewell address of sorts, where I will humbly offer suggestions to the next and future presidents, and the community as a whole.

-innomen
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 7:48:05 AM
At 5/6/2012 7:00:38 AM, innomen wrote:
These are the questions you should ask yourself when the next election comes about, and my position is passed on.

Is it more about ego feeding than it is about the genuine concern for the site and the community?

Will this person serve and represent everyone on this site with impartiality and equality?

Will this person only surround themselves with like minded people and ignore, and perhaps exclude those who think differently or might be critical?

Do you believe that this person will be committed to the site, and understand that it is a responsibility that must be carried out through their term, not just surrounding the election itself.

Do you think that this person will contribute to the position of President, continuing to add relevance to the office, perhaps at the expense of their own ego?

I think everyone understands the direction I'm going with these questions. My greatest concern is that the position will go backward and will lose substantive relevance, so that it is merely a meaningless title, the result of a site wide popularity contest. Upon the end of my term I will issue a statement, a farewell address of sorts, where I will humbly offer suggestions to the next and future presidents, and the community as a whole.

-innomen

I'd add "Are these ideas practically feasible, or even explained?" and "Which policies are likely to be followed through".
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 12:40:14 PM
At 5/6/2012 7:48:05 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/6/2012 7:00:38 AM, innomen wrote:

-innomen

I'd add "Are these ideas practically feasible, or even explained?" and "Which policies are likely to be followed through".

I think you missed my point.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 12:41:53 PM
"My greatest concern is that the position will go backward and will lose substantive relevance, so that it is merely a meaningless title, the result of a site wide popularity contest."
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 1:10:26 PM
I will vote DK/Imabench since 16k is dropping out
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 1:12:46 PM
At 5/6/2012 12:41:53 PM, imabench wrote:
"My greatest concern is that the position will go backward and will lose substantive relevance, so that it is merely a meaningless title, the result of a site wide popularity contest."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 1:13:09 PM
At 5/6/2012 1:12:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 1:31:49 PM
At 5/6/2012 1:11:13 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 5/6/2012 1:10:26 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I will vote DK/Imabench since 16k is dropping out

wait....16k is dropping out!?!?!

he just did, http://www.debate.org...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:16:59 PM

As someone who is fairly new to the site, my first impression was that it is heading in this direction. I'm glad to see some genuine concern for this.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:26:00 PM
At 5/6/2012 1:49:01 PM, Ren wrote:
Okay, I'm still not clear on this.

Will this new president be getting any mod or mod-like capacities?

I haven't decided yet, nor have I really heard any sort of direction on the members as to what they would like to see. I try to stay in tune with this sort of thing, but on this subject I am not clear as to what the site would like to see happen.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:29:56 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:16:59 PM, Oryus wrote:

As someone who is fairly new to the site, my first impression was that it is heading in this direction. I'm glad to see some genuine concern for this.

Innomen was the first to really bring significance to the position and everyone and their mother clamored after it at first, which is why he is emphasizing that people choose a person to be president who will maintain credibility to the position and not turn it into a popularity contest

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:36:29 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:29:56 PM, imabench wrote:

Innomen was the first to really bring significance to the position and everyone and their mother clamored after it at first, which is why he is emphasizing that people choose a person to be president who will maintain credibility to the position and not turn it into a popularity contest

Those who want it the most should worry you the most. Those who look at it as a service position will do best by it.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:37:48 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:36:29 PM, innomen wrote:

"Those who want it the most should worry you the most. Those who look at it as a service position will do best by it."

That sounds like it could be a quote from Socrates

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:41:11 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:37:48 PM, imabench wrote:

"Those who want it the most should worry you the most. Those who look at it as a service position will do best by it."

It is true though. When people started salivating over being president I began to have some concerns, because they clearly wanted it because they thought it would be cool, and it would feed their ego, but I truly doubt it was about having the best interest of the site in mind.

As for mod, I honestly wish there was some sort of pole or thread or discussion on what should happen to the mod position.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:43:13 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:41:11 PM, innomen wrote:

As for mod, I honestly wish there was some sort of pole or thread or discussion on what should happen to the mod position.

im bolding that because I cant do it right now (studying for a final)

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:45:19 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:43:13 PM, imabench wrote:

Yeah studying. I can tell. I wonder what your grades are like, you NEVER leave this site. I think you take the laptop to the bathroom with you.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:47:04 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:45:19 PM, innomen wrote:

Yeah studying. I can tell. I wonder what your grades are like, you NEVER leave this site. I think you take the laptop to the bathroom with you.

Thanks Innomen now EVERYBODY knows....

XD

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:48:58 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:47:04 PM, imabench wrote:

XD

You know we all love you Ima, and just want you to do well in school.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:50:14 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:48:58 PM, innomen wrote:

XD

You know we all love you Ima, and just want you to do well in school.

aww thanks Inno

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:00:42 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:37:48 PM, imabench wrote:

It is true though. When people started salivating over being president I began to have some concerns, because they clearly wanted it because they thought it would be cool, and it would feed their ego, but I truly doubt it was about having the best interest of the site in mind.

Perhaps this is why they made you el presidente ^_^
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:23:00 PM
At 5/6/2012 2:50:14 PM, imabench wrote:

This is the same question I ask myself about royal, who is on 24/7 and goes to a university ranked #4 in the country (and is actually in a real degree in computational biology).

Ima is just a civil engineering major, so that I can understand :p. (i'm a chemE and we like to make fun of the civils).
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:24:01 PM
At 5/6/2012 3:23:00 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/6/2012 2:50:14 PM, imabench wrote:

This is the same question I ask myself about royal, who is on 24/7 and goes to a university ranked #4 in the country (and is actually in a real degree in computational biology).

Ima is just a civil engineering major, so that I can understand :p. (i'm a chemE and we like to make fun of the civils).

>:P

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:36:27 PM
Lol civils.

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body.

One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints.'

Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous systems many thousands of electrical connections.'

The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?'
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:40:54 PM
At 5/6/2012 3:36:27 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Lol civils.

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body.

Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous systems many thousands of electrical connections.'

The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?'

Moral of the story: God was a civil engineer

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:45:58 PM
At 5/6/2012 3:40:54 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/6/2012 3:36:27 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Lol civils.

Moral of the story: God was a civil engineer

Moral of the story. Lets laugh at civil engineers.