Total Posts:184|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Final Post

royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:43:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I meant to post this last night, but I completely forgot. My decision had nothing to do with Mafia; I made this choice last week in response to the ardent defense of inferno. I needed to make a few arrangements before I left, however. There was only person I needed to contact outside of DDO, and there are a few others with whom I would like to remain in touch with. I will be contacting those individuals shortly.

The membership of this website is idiotic; there is literally no respect for people who hold unpopular ideas. WriterDave, 00ike, and basically every active liberal member have been driven off of this site by a pack of conservatives and fascists. Reasoning and Jimtimmy are well-liked despite the fact that all they do is post racist nonsense simply because they are conservative, while any individual who supports liberal policies is labeled as a moron or an extremist. Why is Charleslb attacked over Reasoning and JT, for example, when they have admitted to posting some of the materials that they do to troll while he is open to discuss of ideas? Incidents like this indicate to me that most of the members on this site are not interested in the free exchange of ideas, but are rather interested in promoting their own sense of superiority by engaging in pseudocollectivism. Conservative members like Contradiction and 16kadams have coalitions that crank out votes for them, a fact that serves to illustrate my point.

Moreover, this environment is ridiculously hostile to women because most of the people on this site are either teenagers who have yet to undergo puberty or losers who act like scumbags and then complain when they are unable to attract members of the opposite sex. I did not deserve to be harassed by inferno, and I certainly do not deserve the flak I have been receiving since last week throughout the site. This site only had four active female members (me, Tulle, LDF, and Oryus). Active females are continuously driven off by sexist "trolls". If I post anything of substance that defends women from your ridiculous comments, I am labeled a Feminazi. I know that attacking people who disagree with your ideology makes you more comfortable about yourself, but the people whom you are attacking do not enjoy it.

Until the membership improves, I have no interest in returning.
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:49:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:48:13 AM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:48:02 AM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:46:17 AM, Koopin wrote:
kfc

fucktard

lol sorry
.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:50:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:48:02 AM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:46:17 AM, Koopin wrote:
kfc

fucktard

Izbo, show yourself...
kfc
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:51:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:50:28 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:48:02 AM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:46:17 AM, Koopin wrote:
kfc

fucktard

Izbo, show yourself...

lulz.
Please come back royal
.
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:52:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:43:36 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Conservative members like Contradiction and 16kadams have coalitions that crank out votes for them, a fact that serves to illustrate my point.
.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:54:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Royal... Are you sure you want to leave for this? I mean if you really do then I respect that. But you shouldn't leave for because of the dumb@sses. You should stay for the people that love ya! Like me, and the entire mafia community.

It's easy to ignore the other ones. If anything, just stay for the mafia, I know you love that.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
RyozoTabikashi
Posts: 16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:59:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
and i do apologize. i didn't mean to tkae so long. i am sorry and got held up by some business, but if you leave then hope u come back one day.
The amazing-fun-incredible-official-noble-flying-saving-groin-kicking-animal-like-dangerous-unpredictable God of burning pandas.
My timely-frosty-passionate-freely-living heart
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:04:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of the problems are from people being incredibly aggressive over the most minor of points, then not trying to hold a discussion: rather, assume they are right and someone else is wrong. I wish that this did not happen as much as it does on this site. Dustpelt's current post in the philosophy section (do babies have the...) illustrates this.

It seems to be on both sides to an extent, but I think the quote by Mill fits best:

I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:05:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Yeah! nitpick dat sh!t.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:11:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Point in case: option c) is to clear up the confusion of where she has gone, or d) to tell people the problems she has, and express them to those to point out where people have gone wrong. Just sayin', creating a false dichotomy where you're trying to make someone seem bad is ironic in this post, brah.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:13:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:11:55 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Point in case: option c) is to clear up the confusion of where she has gone, or d) to tell people the problems she has, and express them to those to point out where people have gone wrong. Just sayin', creating a false dichotomy where you're trying to make someone seem bad is ironic in this post, brah.

It really is.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:13:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
First, you're not leaving the site. You're fully aware of the fact that you'll hang on here as much as before, except that you won't post. Second, you'll eventually come back with your account I think.

Third, it's very hypocritical that you mention intolerance toward people who hold different opinions, when you constantly seek ad hominem attacks to ridicule your opponents. Even in the OP you call people fascists.

Fourth, it's not that there's anything specific going on against females, it's just that they turn out to be the ones who need to man up. Take a look at InsertNameHere. A small attack on her and she left the site (countless times). Same with lovelife. I actually stood up for both, but to no avail.

(And regarding 'manning-up,' I haven't seen ONE tough female leave the site like you and some others did, i.e., because of some emotional exchanges. Annhassle, Danielle, Vi_Veri, etc., all stood up to themselves anytime it was needed. So don't make it look like females are targeted in any way.)

Fifth, many attacks on oneself are a result of one's own behavior. I disagree with most of what Charleslb says, but have you ever checked his behavior? The ad hominems he posts are simply outrageous, yet you expect him to be immune to criticism and humorous attacks? No thanks.

Sixth, I'm safe to say that you're one of those who degrade the quality of the site. Instead of taking everything personally, why don't you just discuss and ignore the bad guys? You're increasing the drama. Nothing else.

Have a lovely day Ma'am.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:13:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:05:41 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Yeah! nitpick dat sh!t.

It's not really nitpicking if her entire post is superfluous and self-glorifying, jew know? :P
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:15:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:11:55 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Point in case: option c) is to clear up the confusion of where she has gone, or d) to tell people the problems she has, and express them to those to point out where people have gone wrong. Just sayin', creating a false dichotomy where you're trying to make someone seem bad is ironic in this post, brah.

Except that sort of defeats the point of calling us all idiots beforehand. The people that she might want to express her problems to--i.e., the people with whom she is on good terms--are people she would have contacted with the information anyway. P
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:18:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:15:20 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:11:55 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Point in case: option c) is to clear up the confusion of where she has gone, or d) to tell people the problems she has, and express them to those to point out where people have gone wrong. Just sayin', creating a false dichotomy where you're trying to make someone seem bad is ironic in this post, brah.

Except that sort of defeats the point of calling us all idiots beforehand. The people that she might want to express her problems to--i.e., the people with whom she is on good terms--are people she would have contacted with the information anyway. P

In context, it seems to be more applied to those who are posting the arguments which seem to lack respect for anyone else.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:19:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:13:36 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:05:41 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Yeah! nitpick dat sh!t.

It's not really nitpicking if her entire post is superfluous and self-glorifying, jew know? :P

No I don't.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:22:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:19:11 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:13:36 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:05:41 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:02:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If "the membership of this site is idiotic", you shouldn't have any need to post a gigantic rationalization/justification for leaving. The only counterpoints are that a) you wanted to notify people you held in high esteem, or b) you're being spiteful. In the first case, your entire post is a gigantic waste of space, because you already indicated that you'll be in touch anyway. In the second case, the whole post is a useless, self-aggrandizing, holier-than-thou tl;dr.

Perhaps it's true--in fact, it is likely true--that the average quality of discourse on this site is garbage-level. But, to the extent to which this is true, you still end up at my conclusion that justifying your exit is unnecessary, and announcing your intention to remain in contact with "the good ones" is redundant, since the declaration of intention doesn't really do much other than permit those individuals to expect contact, which they would probably expect anyway if you leave while on good terms with those people.

Just sayin', brah.

Yeah! nitpick dat sh!t.

It's not really nitpicking if her entire post is superfluous and self-glorifying, jew know? :P

No I don't.

Oh, sorry for being presumptuous. Allow me to clarify:

It's not really nitpicking if her entire post is superfluous and self-glorifying.

In all seriousness, though, I'm quite sincere in the claim that the post was completely unnecessary. Back when I left with some of the other anarchists a long while back, a big letter was composed about all the grievances we had against the site. A lot of other people who left at the time composed similar posts. Looking back on it, I actually regret condoning that sort of thing because it was just a big, masturbatory "I'm better than you and you guys are terrible" sort of thing. I was partially guilty of it, the others who left back then were (and are, for those others who returned) guilty of it, and, now, I argue that royal is guilty of it. It was nonsense then, if even I didn't recognize it, and it's nonsense now, when I do recognize it.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:25:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 10:43:36 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I meant to post this last night, but I completely forgot. My decision had nothing to do with Mafia; I made this choice last week in response to the ardent defense of inferno. I needed to make a few arrangements before I left, however. There was only person I needed to contact outside of DDO, and there are a few others with whom I would like to remain in touch with. I will be contacting those individuals shortly.

The membership of this website is idiotic; there is literally no respect for people who hold unpopular ideas. WriterDave, 00ike, and basically every active liberal member have been driven off of this site by a pack of conservatives and fascists. Reasoning and Jimtimmy are well-liked despite the fact that all they do is post racist nonsense simply because they are conservative, while any individual who supports liberal policies is labeled as a moron or an extremist. Why is Charleslb attacked over Reasoning and JT, for example, when they have admitted to posting some of the materials that they do to troll while he is open to discuss of ideas? Incidents like this indicate to me that most of the members on this site are not interested in the free exchange of ideas, but are rather interested in promoting their own sense of superiority by engaging in pseudocollectivism. Conservative members like Contradiction and 16kadams have coalitions that crank out votes for them, a fact that serves to illustrate my point.

Moreover, this environment is ridiculously hostile to women because most of the people on this site are either teenagers who have yet to undergo puberty or losers who act like scumbags and then complain when they are unable to attract members of the opposite sex. I did not deserve to be harassed by inferno, and I certainly do not deserve the flak I have been receiving since last week throughout the site. This site only had four active female members (me, Tulle, LDF, and Oryus). Active females are continuously driven off by sexist "trolls". If I post anything of substance that defends women from your ridiculous comments, I am labeled a Feminazi. I know that attacking people who disagree with your ideology makes you more comfortable about yourself, but the people whom you are attacking do not enjoy it.

Until the membership improves, I have no interest in returning.

I'm sorry to see you go, and I'm especially sorry about the sexist idiots on the site. It's not right that anyone should treat you that way.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:26:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:25:19 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
I'm sorry to see you go, and I'm especially sorry about the sexist idiots on the site. It's not right that anyone should treat you that way.
Uh, nobody did. She just takes it personally. That's what happens when one is in need of drama-drugs.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:27:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:18:25 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:15:20 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Except that sort of defeats the point of calling us all idiots beforehand. The people that she might want to express her problems to--i.e., the people with whom she is on good terms--are people she would have contacted with the information anyway. P

In context, it seems to be more applied to those who are posting the arguments which seem to lack respect for anyone else.

I don't think the counterargument changes, though. On the one hand, we can interpret her as being really imprecise by generalizing. In that case, it's just bad form because it suggests she was just writing the post to make herself feel better by lashing out. On another interpretation, I still think the post was largely unnecessary. For the "idiots", the post is worthless. For the "good ones", the post is probably superfluous. For everyone else, it comes off as a way of getting attention or affirming her own comparative superiority.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:28:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:13:09 AM, Mirza wrote:
First, you're not leaving the site. You're fully aware of the fact that you'll hang on here as much as before, except that you won't post. Second, you'll eventually come back with your account I think.

Third, it's very hypocritical that you mention intolerance toward people who hold different opinions, when you constantly seek ad hominem attacks to ridicule your opponents. Even in the OP you call people fascists.

Fourth, it's not that there's anything specific going on against females, it's just that they turn out to be the ones who need to man up. Take a look at InsertNameHere. A small attack on her and she left the site (countless times). Same with lovelife. I actually stood up for both, but to no avail.

(And regarding 'manning-up,' I haven't seen ONE tough female leave the site like you and some others did, i.e., because of some emotional exchanges. Annhassle, Danielle, Vi_Veri, etc., all stood up to themselves anytime it was needed. So don't make it look like females are targeted in any way.)

Fifth, many attacks on oneself are a result of one's own behavior. I disagree with most of what Charleslb says, but have you ever checked his behavior? The ad hominems he posts are simply outrageous, yet you expect him to be immune to criticism and humorous attacks? No thanks.

Sixth, I'm safe to say that you're one of those who degrade the quality of the site. Instead of taking everything personally, why don't you just discuss and ignore the bad guys? You're increasing the drama. Nothing else.

Have a lovely day Ma'am.

+99999999
kfc
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 11:30:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 11:27:40 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:18:25 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/9/2012 11:15:20 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Except that sort of defeats the point of calling us all idiots beforehand. The people that she might want to express her problems to--i.e., the people with whom she is on good terms--are people she would have contacted with the information anyway. P

In context, it seems to be more applied to those who are posting the arguments which seem to lack respect for anyone else.

I don't think the counterargument changes, though. On the one hand, we can interpret her as being really imprecise by generalizing. In that case, it's just bad form because it suggests she was just writing the post to make herself feel better by lashing out. On another interpretation, I still think the post was largely unnecessary. For the "idiots", the post is worthless. For the "good ones", the post is probably superfluous. For everyone else, it comes off as a way of getting attention or affirming her own comparative superiority.

On the latter view, particularly, I'm not even denying necessarily that her intentions are what you suggest they are; rather, I'm pointing to a) other, subconscious intentions that played a role, and b) the execution as really poorly played.