Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Edit to Soothe

#1
Add Post
Forum Moderator
 
5/11/2012 4:15:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't usually bring something to the forum unless there is a large number of reports with a common theme. This time when I went through the reports there were quite a few reports requesting that threads, debates, and comments on debates be removed from the site because they were causing undue psychological harm to individual members. After reviewing them, I found the posts to be obnoxious, but nothing really outside of the norm of DDO. I've always believed that you need to have a reasonably thick skin to play on this site, and if you're on a debate site you should expect contention.

So why am I not just handling the reports and moving on? I am, I took care of the reports, but felt it important that I take the temperature of the site on how soft abuse should be handled. What are the opinions of this within the membership.

What I found interesting is, some of the people that were reporting, and requesting some deletes and edits are those who fall on the other side on the members they are reporting on behalf of (horrible sentence, but it's early).

How strict the mod should be is really a subjective call, and I generally use the measuring stick of harm done, and what the norm of the site has been.

Thoughts?
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 4:26:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You're right, people are probably just making a bigger deal out of things than it really is.

However, I honestly don't regret reporting this debate though.

http://www.debate.org...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:30:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The hot tempers are apart of what DDO is. Sometimes it can go overboard, and I'm not approving of them, but if you can't handle the heat then please leave. I wouldn't be here if this were the case.

On the other hand, debates that say pointless or sick stuff such as the one last night "My oppenent should cum in my mouth and do anal." Then im ok with being deleted.
kfc
tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:39:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 9:30:53 AM, Koopin wrote:
The hot tempers are apart of what DDO is. Sometimes it can go overboard, and I'm not approving of them, but if you can't handle the heat then please leave. I wouldn't be here if this were the case.


On the other hand, debates that say pointless or sick stuff such as the one last night "My oppenent should cum in my mouth and do anal." Then im ok with being deleted.

We need to take extra precautions to protect the member who has thought about suicide. Maybe, if you see negative posts towards him you could delete them right away. Overall though, I would say the site is not too bad. I honestly expect nothing less from an online debating website.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:42:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 9:39:48 AM, tyler90az wrote:

We need to take extra precautions to protect the member who has thought about suicide. Maybe, if you see negative posts towards him you could delete them right away. Overall though, I would say the site is not too bad. I honestly expect nothing less from an online debating website.

I seriously don't wanna sound like the bad guy here, but if members are threatening suicide they just need to leave the site.

Inb4 that post gets deleted.
kfc
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:59:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
so innomen, what are we going to do when someone sensetive comes on here and isn't expecting the likes of trolls such as koopin, imabench and I, or very serious debaters such as 16kadams?
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 10:40:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 9:59:58 AM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
so innomen, what are we going to do when someone sensetive comes on here and isn't expecting the likes of trolls such as koopin, imabench and I, or very serious debaters such as 16kadams?

I'm in agreement with Koopin, you need some thick skin to play here, and if you are overly sensitive, you really should leave, you will not be able to cope well with what goes on here. This site is actually pretty mild compared to others.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:14:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 10:40:32 AM, innomen wrote:
At 5/11/2012 9:59:58 AM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
so innomen, what are we going to do when someone sensetive comes on here and isn't expecting the likes of trolls such as koopin, imabench and I, or very serious debaters such as 16kadams?

I'm in agreement with Koopin, you need some thick skin to play here, and if you are overly sensitive, you really should leave, you will not be able to cope well with what goes on here. This site is actually pretty mild compared to others.

Agreed.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:17:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 9:39:48 AM, tyler90az wrote:
At 5/11/2012 9:30:53 AM, Koopin wrote:
The hot tempers are apart of what DDO is. Sometimes it can go overboard, and I'm not approving of them, but if you can't handle the heat then please leave. I wouldn't be here if this were the case.


On the other hand, debates that say pointless or sick stuff such as the one last night "My oppenent should cum in my mouth and do anal." Then im ok with being deleted.

We need to take extra precautions to protect the member who has thought about suicide. Maybe, if you see negative posts towards him you could delete them right away. Overall though, I would say the site is not too bad. I honestly expect nothing less from an online debating website.

1) If we give critical attention to those who say they might commit suicide then its only going to open up the door for attention whores to raise hell over something that is most likely nothing.

2) Deleting insulting posts against specific people wouldnt be too well since it would look like the mods are pandering to specific people on DDO whose feelings might get hurt and nothing more.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:43:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Even assuming that there were DDO members who were qualified to deal with genuinely suicidal/depressed individuals neither DDO specifically nor the Internet in general is the appropriate medium through which such an interaction should take place.

I steer clear of such issues, regardless of whatever sympathy or compassion I may have for the individual. No good can be had by airing such serious issues out here.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:54:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you can't be civilised, get out the forums. Plain and simple. When someone acts like an arse whilst being serious, then they should be removed. The good thing about law is that it is objective.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:03:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 11:54:35 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
If you can't be civilised, get out the forums. Plain and simple. When someone acts like an arse whilst being serious, then they should be removed.

If this is the case, 93.759% of people here need to be banned.
kfc
Perseus
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:04:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I do not think that rudeness is a systemic problem; I have been here for a few days, an nobody has been rude to me. Those people must have had some personal failings.
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:21:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
this is a debate site, for God's sake. People shouldn't come here to feel better. Debate is completely about conflict.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:21:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 12:04:42 PM, Perseus wrote:
I do not think that rudeness is a systemic problem; I have been here for a few days, an nobody has been rude to me. Those people must have had some personal failings.

Bah. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 1:41:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Its pretty simple. There are always some oversensitive people at any party. And they have to satisfy themselves by being sort of outsiders who no one really becomes comfortable with. I understand Dave's point of view, perhaps more deeply than I care to expound, but Dave, you can't force people to be respectful by crying about their behaviour or getting into a hissy fit.

So yes, I don't think weak minded people ought to be debating, and censoring the loud ones would be counterproductive. Because the mental trauma they'd go through wouldn't be worth the few tidbits of information they'd add to their knowledge.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 3:32:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Counterpoint, though: if we tell all of the whiny, weak-minded ones (in terms of willpower, not of intellect) to "get out of the kitchen", then who is really left to troll? If I scare off people of the emotional caliber of rogue, that isn't really problematic for me on the margin. In fact, I would probably smoke a huge bowl and drink some beers in celebration; however, if I inadvertently provoke collective action in the form of every weak-minded individual leaving, I've basically just pulled a tragedy of the commons on myself.

Certainly, we might point to the absence of the trollable as a transitional problem--a kind of interruption between two periods of trolliing; we might be right in making that move; however, I would nevertheless be worried about what to do in the interim. In the absence of people who are obscenely easy to troll, the older (in terms of tenure on the site) and more "mature" (used here to imply people who are skilled at enduring personal attacks, and who can be said to have "thick skins") members, many of whom are apt to engage in some of that trolling, might turn on each other and destabilize the operation of the site. Speculative, true, but this is primarily because there has never, to my recollection, been a period of time during which there has been no one to absorb all of that stuff. I suspect, very heavily, that trolling is actually a vital function on this site without which we probably could not go too long without getting at each other's throats. Rather than trying to conform to some idealized notion of discourse, or to some social paradigm according to which everyone gets along perfectly and is always polite and cheery, etc., I think we ought, as a community which recognizes its own limits, to engage trolling as a necessary and, if I may say so, valuable element of the DDO experience.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 4:10:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 3:55:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/11/2012 3:47:41 PM, Cermank wrote:
^ There are too many stupid people. Tragedy of commons is probilistically an insignificant concern.

Some stupid people are actually pretty tough to troll. You can trust me on that.

I have been relatively lucky in that area then. Granted i only troll on omegle, so the sampling would be a little skewed.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:05:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We need to take extra precautions to protect the member who has thought about suicide. Maybe, if you see negative posts towards him you could delete them right away.:

That's an absurd request, sir. If a member cannot handle the site, then they shouldn't be here. You don't punish 10,000 to protect 1 person who is offended. No one should feel compelled to handle certain people with kid gloves except by choice. In this case, the person expressed their concerns and they were met with respect without any intervention.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:08:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 5:05:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We need to take extra precautions to protect the member who has thought about suicide. Maybe, if you see negative posts towards him you could delete them right away.:

That's an absurd request, sir. If a member cannot handle the site, then they shouldn't be here. You don't punish 10,000 to protect 1 person who is offended. No one should feel compelled to handle certain people with kid gloves except by choice. In this case, the person expressed their concerns and they were met with respect without any intervention.

the smartest thing ive ever read
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:28:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 5:08:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/11/2012 5:05:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We need to take extra precautions to protect the member who has thought about suicide. Maybe, if you see negative posts towards him you could delete them right away.:

That's an absurd request, sir. If a member cannot handle the site, then they shouldn't be here. You don't punish 10,000 to protect 1 person who is offended. No one should feel compelled to handle certain people with kid gloves except by choice. In this case, the person expressed their concerns and they were met with respect without any intervention.

the smartest thing ive ever read:

Thank you, thank you ;)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)