Jump to topic:

I have come to a realization.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 7:43:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The avatars that we use affects other people's perception of us. Since it is the only basis we have to their actual appearance, it is human nature to think "that is what the other guy looks like," even though our logic tells us it is only a picture.

It does not matter how fantastical it is. Black for instance, is the color of authority and power, stability and strength. It is also the color associated with intelligence. That's why Kleptin's avatar is probably the best one on DDO. [http://www.debate.org...] It (whatever it is) is dressed very nicely, with a top hat. It shows off the "gentlemanly" aspect of his nature while the devious expression on his face shows off his cleverness and tells people he is not to be underestimated. The color black and his nice clothes reinforce the image of him having intelligence and authority. Such an image might be enough to win a debate you otherwise might have lost. Whether he did this on purpose or not is something I don't know.

I used to have an avatar of Eminem dressed in black while closing his eyes in a dramatic fashion. I thought it would help with the psychological aspect of voting. Famous or well known avatars are really no different from regular ones because the subconscious still regards it as the person.

When Wallstreet made a "DDO baby pictures movement" I decided to go along with it (by changing my avatar to a picture of Eminem as a child). Now that I am debating again I will bring back the Eminem picture, although it was interesting while it lasted.

Any thoughts?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 7:52:28 AM
I believe koopin said this once in a shorter fashion. He said something like I think people are tgeir avatars and royal is that cartoon thingy.

I dunno.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 8:51:46 AM
Avatars become the face of the person for me.

Now, whether or not its quite like you describe it, I dunno.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 8:54:12 AM
At 5/11/2012 7:43:03 AM, MouthWash wrote:
The avatars that we use affects other people's perception of us. Since it is the only basis we have to their actual appearance, it is human nature to think "that is what the other guy looks like," even though our logic tells us it is only a picture.

It does not matter how fantastical it is. Black for instance, is the color of authority and power, stability and strength. It is also the color associated with intelligence. That's why Kleptin's avatar is probably the best one on DDO. [http://www.debate.org...] It (whatever it is) is dressed very nicely, with a top hat. It shows off the "gentlemanly" aspect of his nature while the devious expression on his face shows off his cleverness and tells people he is not to be underestimated. The color black and his nice clothes reinforce the image of him having intelligence and authority. Such an image might be enough to win a debate you otherwise might have lost. Whether he did this on purpose or not is something I don't know.

I used to have an avatar of Eminem dressed in black while closing his eyes in a dramatic fashion. I thought it would help with the psychological aspect of voting. Famous or well known avatars are really no different from regular ones because the subconscious still regards it as the person.

When Wallstreet made a "DDO baby pictures movement" I decided to go along with it (by changing my avatar to a picture of Eminem as a child). Now that I am debating again I will bring back the Eminem picture, although it was interesting while it lasted.

Any thoughts?

Does that make me a Jewish scholar? Sweet! (I wish I could grow facial hair as thick as Paul does in my Avatar painting. Mine looks more like......someone glued the refuse from the barber shop floor upon my chin.)
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:48:11 AM
At 5/11/2012 8:54:12 AM, GenesisCreation wrote:
At 5/11/2012 7:43:03 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Any thoughts?

Does that make me a Jewish scholar? Sweet! (I wish I could grow facial hair as thick as Paul does in my Avatar painting. Mine looks more like......someone glued the refuse from the barber shop floor upon my chin.)

if having black meant power, koopin would be the overlord of DDO. :D
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:54:32 AM
I do have to agree. Avatar's play a key role on my perspective of people. Before I knew koopin was black, I thought that he was a ginger while he had the little stuffed chicken doll. Then i saw his awesome debate on marrying rougue and i found otherwise. I picture imabench as johnny depp's jack sparrow. I picture 16kadams as a confederate flag. I picture FREEDO as steven colbert. I have not seen the majority of these peoples actual faces, and even if i did, the pictures they have stood by for such a long time would still stick to my mind.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 10:23:40 AM
I just change my avatar all the time depending on what I'm currently interested in or if I think it looks cool. I know what you mean, though. I remember getting mixed up with people's sexes when I first came onto this site because of their avatars.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:19:11 AM
now people will think im a determined pirate with a sense of humor.

excellent >:)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:23:02 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:19:11 AM, imabench wrote:

Well, if I use my LOGIC, you are probably a white, pimply-faced teenager sitting at his computer trolling a debate website. But I always did think of you as Jack Sparrow.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:23:42 AM
No offense lol
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:27:38 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:23:02 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 5/11/2012 11:19:11 AM, imabench wrote:

Well, if I use my LOGIC, you are probably a white, pimply-faced teenager sitting at his computer trolling a debate website. But I always did think of you as Jack Sparrow.

Isn't this what you are?...
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:43:58 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:40:02 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/11/2012 11:37:08 AM, Contradiction wrote:
Does this mean I get viewed as bugs bunny? :P
Nope. More like this: http://newsjunkiepost.com...

LOL
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:45:46 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:43:58 AM, Contradiction wrote:

LOL

LOL! BTW, do you consider yourself fascist?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:59:20 AM
At 5/11/2012 11:45:46 AM, Microsuck wrote:

LOL

No. I consider myself the exact opposite.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:02:23 PM
At 5/11/2012 11:59:20 AM, Contradiction wrote:
At 5/11/2012 11:45:46 AM, Microsuck wrote:

LOL

No. I consider myself the exact opposite.

Ok good. I am fervently opposed to fascism.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 12:24:21 PM
Do people see me then as a dingo(made of cheese) or a baby right now because of the baby avatar movement?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 1:54:20 PM
I'm a salad head.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 4:06:28 PM
Do people see me as an old 18th century guy? So far I have had 5 avatars and 4 were about the 18th century and 3 had old 18th century people.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 4:15:26 PM
At 5/11/2012 4:06:28 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Do people see me as an old 18th century guy? So far I have had 5 avatars and 4 were about the 18th century and 3 had old 18th century people.

My first instinct is that you're a high school history teacher who is extremely over-qualified.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:27:35 PM
I am the wisest two year old that ever stumbled across the planet.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:28:39 PM
At 5/11/2012 4:15:26 PM, Jon1 wrote:
At 5/11/2012 4:06:28 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

My first instinct is that you're a high school history teacher who is extremely over-qualified.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:30:46 PM
Fully agreed with the OP. I actually have the same thoughts before I upload a new avatar.

I quite like the impression and essence my current avatar gives.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 5:32:06 PM
At 5/11/2012 5:30:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Fully agreed with the OP. I actually have the same thoughts before I upload a new avatar.

I quite like the impression and essence my current avatar gives.

wazzat?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.