Jump to topic:

Phone number over the net? WTF?

helveticat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 12:12:16 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I just went through your unnecessarily lengthy signup process to discover that in order to use debate.org I have to give you my mobile phone number. So I'm off to do something else.

First because I don't give out details like that to parties I don't yet trust, especially over an clear-text connection that anybody could be snooping on. Second because I hope lots of children would be interested in using a site like this, but there's no way you should be encouraging them to give out personal details in this way. So this isn't just an attempted invasion of privacy, it's socially irresponsible too.

I'm sure you're nice people and wouldn't do anything evil with all those mobile numbers. But not everyone on the web is like that.

It's a shame because the site looks great and I was keen to try it out.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 12:17:47 AM
Hey bud - you can use the site, you just cannot vote on debates. That is basically what the phone numbers are for. If you don't want to give it out, you don't have to, but you won't able to vote, which isn't a huge deal anyways.

So stay, enjoy the website. We don't bite.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 3:30:38 AM
At 8/4/2009 12:17:47 AM, Volkov wrote:
Hey bud - you can use the site, you just cannot vote on debates. That is basically what the phone numbers are for. If you don't want to give it out, you don't have to, but you won't able to vote, which isn't a huge deal anyways.

So stay, enjoy the website. We don't bite.

Well, a certain troll does if you don't think the world was made 6000 years ago, but that's another story.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 8:25:26 AM
At 8/4/2009 12:25:56 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Sad. I just checked his account, and it's 'no longer active' apparently. It's kind of pointless for him to make this thread and then close his account, though.

Agreed. He should have stayed, I'd enjoy someone that creates a thread to complain about something which is technically a violation of privacy.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 8:36:33 AM
If he happens to come back I would like to explain to him in a clear manner:

The phone number is not given out to anyone. It is not made public on the website anywhere. It is not put into your bio page.

It is only required if you wish to vote on other debates. You can still do everything on the website, including debate. You just won't be able to vote. As Volkov pointed out, that isn't a huge deal anyways.

I hope you reconsider and join the community. We'll still be here.