Jump to topic:

Non-Mobile, Non-Inclusive members

Artifice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 2:27:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Curious. Just became a member recently and discovered I can't vote unless I can verify my identity via a mobile phone. An alternative method would be nice as I'm pretty sure that not everyone who loves debate owns such a device (however I have no sources to back up such a claim). Personally, I find mobiles stressful to deal with, the plans uncompetitive and way overpriced and too overly complex - all the better to price gauge. I'd really like to contribute to this site through its voting system, but apprently I am not eligible since I don't belong to the mobile phone club.

Seems a tad classist to me, but then I guess membership has its priveleges. ;-)

Any suggestions, advice? Is there a way I can be part of your IN club, please, please, pretty please?!

Thanks,

Artifice
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 3:53:43 PM
Get a pay-to-go plan, one of those where you only pay every time you use it.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 4:10:41 PM
At 8/5/2009 2:27:08 PM, Artifice wrote:
Curious. Just became a member recently and discovered I can't vote unless I can verify my identity via a mobile phone. An alternative method would be nice as I'm pretty sure that not everyone who loves debate owns such a device (however I have no sources to back up such a claim). Personally, I find mobiles stressful to deal with, the plans uncompetitive and way overpriced and too overly complex - all the better to price gauge. I'd really like to contribute to this site through its voting system, but apprently I am not eligible since I don't belong to the mobile phone club.

Seems a tad classist to me, but then I guess membership has its priveleges. ;-)

Any suggestions, advice? Is there a way I can be part of your IN club, please, please, pretty please?!

Thanks,

Artifice

I thought it was a plot to keep the riff-raff out, you know, "Strictly Toffs and Snobs Only" but it's not actually - it's about stopping people creating multiple accounts.

I would suggest using a friend's phone to verify your identity - it is only a one-off procedure.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Artifice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 4:20:04 PM
Thanks Brian, you beat me to, and answered my next question. As long as doing that doesn't place me at risk of incurring some form of penalty - like being banned or a revocation of membership.
rougeagent21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 8:23:28 PM
No, you should be fine. They never call/message/text you after texting you the confirmation code. If your friend is OK with receiving one message, you should be fine.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." -Gen. Patton
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 11:27:10 PM
The "In" club doesn't rely on phone confirmation around here. No one cares about votes. We're too elitist to make our elitism about something so petty at DDO.

*disclosure: I cannot vote*
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2009 11:41:39 PM
At 8/5/2009 11:27:10 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The "In" club doesn't rely on phone confirmation around here. No one cares about votes. We're too elitist to make our elitism about something so petty at DDO.

*disclosure: I cannot vote*

Shut up and speak for yourself- bourgeoisie.

I, personally, find great power in my voting abilities. 'Tis something you peasant can't understand. MUAHAHAH.

(((sarcasm)))
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 6:41:55 AM
I felt personally that the sign up process was already far too invasive, to request a mobile phone number as well seemed excessive.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 7:41:23 AM
At 8/6/2009 6:41:55 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I felt personally that the sign up process was already far too invasive, to request a mobile phone number as well seemed excessive.

Vote bombing occurs on this website, when someone creates multiple accounts. because most people have 1 phone, it's a decent enough system. Though I think there are other worthwhile ways (e.g. having a myspace or facebook verified), and there are others not so good (Pay to vote).
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 8:02:14 AM
At 8/6/2009 7:41:23 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Vote bombing occurs on this website, when someone creates multiple accounts. because most people have 1 phone, it's a decent enough system. Though I think there are other worthwhile ways (e.g. having a myspace or facebook verified), and there are others not so good (Pay to vote).

When I signed up I was not actually aware of the voting system and was already suprised to see that I was being asked age, race, sexuality, my opinions on cheese and exactly what village I come from. But I can see that it is a good way to solve that problem.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 8:20:03 AM
At 8/6/2009 8:02:14 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/6/2009 7:41:23 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

When I signed up I was not actually aware of the voting system and was already suprised to see that I was being asked age, race, sexuality, my opinions on cheese and exactly what village I come from. But I can see that it is a good way to solve that problem.

All can be lied about. Don't tell anyone...but....I said I liked cottage cheese, but I really like Cheddar.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 9:21:17 AM
At 8/6/2009 8:20:03 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
All can be lied about. Don't tell anyone...but....I said I liked cottage cheese, but I really like Cheddar.

Cheddar is amazing.

I think you could provide credit card information to the website, and that would be a better system than cell phones - especially because no one is going to give out their credit card to their friend, just so they can create an extra account.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 9:24:02 AM
At 8/6/2009 9:21:17 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/6/2009 8:20:03 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Cheddar is amazing.

I think you could provide credit card information to the website, and that would be a better system than cell phones - especially because no one is going to give out their credit card to their friend, just so they can create an extra account.

I don't think many people would want to give out their Credit Card info, just to vote on a website.