Jump to topic:

Searching DDO

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 10:09:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's good to look at old debates on a topic. Most people have noticed the "Search debates" field in the menu bar at the top of the page. From there you can get to "advanced search" or you can go directly to Debates > Advanced search.

Not so obvious is People > Advanced Search. that produces a different form to find other DDO members. For example, you might want to find other DDO members who are within 25 miles of where you live and who have been on line in the past month. That would help you start a debate on, say, a local election.

If you want to find a debate or coment based upon a certain phrase, you can use Google with site:debate.org. For example the search string
roylatham border fence site:debate.org
finds my old debates on the border fence. It also finds stuff in the forums.
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 10:53:32 PM
Yeah.

inurl: works if you're looking for something in a site containing a particular phrase or a particular type of document. For example, inurl:pdf will give you a bunch of pdf files.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 12:19:12 AM
At 5/17/2012 10:09:45 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
It's good to look at old debates on a topic. Most people have noticed the "Search debates" field in the menu bar at the top of the page. From there you can get to "advanced search" or you can go directly to Debates > Advanced search.

Not so obvious is People > Advanced Search. that produces a different form to find other DDO members. For example, you might want to find other DDO members who are within 25 miles of where you live and who have been on line in the past month. That would help you start a debate on, say, a local election.

If you want to find a debate or coment based upon a certain phrase, you can use Google with site:debate.org. For example the search string
roylatham border fence site:debate.org
finds my old debates on the border fence. It also finds stuff in the forums.

Yeah, I could debate FREEDO on whether or not Valentine would make a good judge of Placerville. Not really though.
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2012 10:00:41 AM
At 5/18/2012 12:19:12 AM, LibertyCampbell wrote:
Yeah, I could debate FREEDO on whether or not Valentine would make a good judge of Placerville. Not really though.

Or "The Apple Blossom Festival should be abandoned." Maybe "The hangman's noose should be removed from the Placerville seal." Lot's of debate potential in Placerville.