Jump to topic:

Tournament of Champions: Guidelines

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 3:46:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Round One of the ToC has begun! Three debates are already completed, and are now up for review by judges. Decisions and RFDs will be posted as soon as possible. Below are the guidelines for the tournament; feel free to contact me via PM or in this forum to make any suggestions or comments.

- - - - GUIDELINES - - - -

1. Once the debate topic is chosen, Pro has three days to challenge Con to a debate, and Con must accept the challenge immediately once it is issued (assuming that they are online at the time, or online sometime that day). Their round is due three days after accepting the challenge. If Con does not accept the challenge on the day that it is issued or shortly thereafter, Pro most notify me immediately. My goal is to ensure as best as possible that both Pro and Con have equal amount of time (three days) to post their opening arguments.

A forfeited debate -- i.e. Pro not issuing a challenge within three days of topic confirmation, or Con not accepting within three days of Pro's challenge -- leads to an automatic loss for whichever party commits the offense of forfeiting the first round. After the first round, a forfeited round may not elude to an automatic loss; however, the judge may hold it against a debater if they forfeit a round as they see fit.

2. The instigator of every debate shall ensure that the debate allows for up to 8,000 characters (unless noted otherwise), and gives each individual three days to post a response (again, unless otherwise noted). I don't care how long the voting period lasts for on DDO; participants should agree amongst themselves (though Indefinitely should probably be the standard). I am allowing the debaters for the most part to choose their own topics and standard of debating; it just has to be submitted and approved by me before the debate officially starts.

In other words, say you and your opponent want to debate Abortion in haiku form only with a 500 character limit. Assuming that both of you agree to these standards, and confirm it to me via PM which I must approve, I will allow for you guys to structure the debates in any way you that you agree to and see fit (though I HIGHLY recommend a standard style of debate for the fairest tournament possible). Just make sure you let me know beforehand what your resolution topic and structure is, so I can ensure that the grounds and topic are acceptable (i.e. not too semantically favorable for either position), and to make sure that the judges know of your standards beforehand.

3. Particiapnts will alternate between being Pro and Con depending on the round. So, if you were Pro (the instigator) in one round of the debate tournament, chances are that you will be Con during the next round. This is to ensure that everyone has the equal opportunity/burden of instigating a debate. I will enforce this as much as possible to ensure fairness.

4. This will be a 2-round elimination tournament. In other words, once you have incurred a loss, you will be considered part of the one-loss bracket and only debate other people who have also incurred one loss. Once you have lost two debates, you will be eliminated from the tournament.

5. Every debate will have at least two judges; a third one will be issued in the event of a tie. At this time, I have several judges (five) who are not participating in the tournament who have volunteered their services of providing fair and unbiased decisions and comprehensive RFDs to me, which they will either be posting publicly, or sent to me via PM so as to keep their entities anonymous, depending on their preference. In the event that you feel a judge's decision has been unfair or subject to blatant bias, notify me immediately and the RFD will be up for review by both myself and the other judges and debaters. Keep in mind that I'll try to have other guest judges from time to time in the event that the five I have now get swamped. RFDs may be anonymous, but I'll reveal whom all of the judges are at some point including the guest ones.

- - - - - - - - -

I think that about covers all of the guidelines that I have established for the tournament thus far, but as always I am open to feedback and suggestions. I'd like to note that these rules are subject to change depending on how the tournament is going. I reserve the right to move the tournament along by not making every debater wait for everyone to be finished before sending them to the next round. In other words, if debaters X and Y are in the one loss bracket, but other debaters are still debating round one, I may advance debaters X and Y to debate round two even if not every person is done with round one. This is to keep the tournament moving along and eliminate people as fast as possible (to put it bluntly). It also helps the juding process by not swamping the judges with a plethora of debates to read at once. Like I said, if this doesn't seem to be a policy that is working out, I'll adapt to what works best.

I'd like to thank everyone again for participating -- I look forward to a fun tournament! I apologize for not being able to reward the winner with a cash prize (I'm broke and Phil hasn't offered), though I think bragging rights on this site should suffice for some of ya. Plus, I'll ask the admins of DDOFans to make a note of it on the DDO fan site. Thanks again, and good luck! The round one match-ups will be sent to you shortly. Happy debating!

-- L

Note: People can still sign up to join the tournament up until the last debate of R1 is completed. I project that won't be for another week or two.
President of DDO
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 3:55:37 PM
I think that the automatic moving-up-a-round is a good idea. LM Classic would still be on round 1 if LM hadn't implemented that policy.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 5:27:36 PM
At 8/6/2009 4:42:09 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
Can someone tell me who is judging what? I didn't get the memo.

I sent you a PM.
President of DDO