Jump to topic:

Mentor and Student Debate System Request

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 5:22:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As many major users and veterans of the site has met together to create this system, and help others get a firm understanding of how to debate successfully on this site, we have seemed to all be in agreement of this idea. This would help a lot of new users out, but doesn't really need much president help. However, we request the following:

A sticky thread to state current mentors and students
The sticky thread to state who doesn't have students, and who is willing to take them on.

From this, we shall help users new onto the site get a firm understanding of how the site works. The rules of who shall be mentored, discussed within the mentors, specifically those helping to set it up and those who've been messaged to help with the idea, but shall have the aim to educate users on how to debate, create topics, specific debate terminology and new ideas, whilst trying to remain neutral and not impose political or philosophical ideas onto them.

Also, we shall attempt to create a stronger user base of debaters, and encourage new, educational debates.

Possible Ideas to Look into Going Forward

1 - Changing of mentors half way through a tutelage o.e. to give as much knowledge as possible
2 - Student debate every month / mentor debate every month
3 - Debates to initiate new mentors
4 - Requirements for mentors and students.

We are serious and passionate about creating this system. The goal of the system is to help to create a stronger base and ease newer members into DDO life in order to facilitate a higher rate of activity from these newer members.

This thread will be the base for creating the system. Hopefully with the help of innomen, experienced DDO debaters and the community as a whole we can bring this together quickly.

If you have any specific questions or ideas and want to be of help message Stephen_Hawkins or myself. Use this form to give us feedback on how you want the specifics to work. This forum will be here and in use until the official sticky forum post with mentor/student sign ups is put up.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 5:38:59 PM
At 5/22/2012 5:34:28 PM, Zaradi wrote:
So who's going to be my first victim- err I mean, student xD

We're still trying to refine the idea. Once it comes together there will be sign ups on a stick forum thread.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 6:00:28 PM
What kind of requirements are you thinking for mentors?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:32:29 PM
At 5/22/2012 6:00:28 PM, socialpinko wrote:

A certain amount of debates done.

A certain amount of residency.

Something like that.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:37:08 PM
At 5/22/2012 7:32:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Something like that.

I looked at your article.

Obama did not "pull the plug on NASA funding" as you imply. However, he ended the shuttle program.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:44:05 PM
At 5/22/2012 7:37:08 PM, Contra wrote:
At 5/22/2012 7:32:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Something like that.

I looked at your article.

Obama did not "pull the plug on NASA funding" as you imply. However, he ended the shuttle program.

Would you like me to edit it? I'm sorry, I was implying he pulled the plug on manned space flight funding. I'll reword it in that way.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 7:57:55 PM
am i allowed to be a mentor? i may end up doing more harm than good :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 1:11:08 PM
|--------------------------||____
| The Bump Truck |||""'|""\__,_
| _____________ l||__|__|__| )
|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 2:01:37 PM
I think the idea is laudable, but the idea of some users mentoring anyone in anything is laughable.

If Roy or Danielle mentored someone... that might be good for incorporating them into the sight and they might even learn a thing or two about a thing or two. But, if say, a stupid user who (though they have debated many times) hasn't acquired the slightest scintilla of logical understanding were to mentor someone... that would produce more harm than good, in the long run.
Tsar of DDO
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 2:03:52 PM
At 5/23/2012 2:01:37 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the idea is laudable, but the idea of some users mentoring anyone in anything is laughable.

If Roy or Danielle mentored someone... that might be good for incorporating them into the sight and they might even learn a thing or two about a thing or two. But, if say, a stupid user who (though they have debated many times) hasn't acquired the slightest scintilla of logical understanding were to mentor someone... that would produce more harm than good, in the long run.

I think YYW needs me as a mentor
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 2:16:15 PM
This is a good idea. There is a community of people here, many of whom are intelligent and eager to get their ideas out. But, we need new members, new ideas, a new perspective on things. If through this mentor system DDO can attract new people, what reason is there not to start up a mentor system? It is a completely volunteer based system, and could, improve the quality of this site.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 2:18:33 PM
At 5/23/2012 2:03:52 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

I think YYW needs me as a mentor

yeah yeah whatever. lol.
Tsar of DDO
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 4:06:44 PM

We are currently in discussion on this point (and were around 3 days before your post) on the issue of who gets to mentor. We have came to an agreement on sorts that they have to be agreed by a pre-select council (probably consisting of myself, C-P and others who helped set it up/helped early on). The actual specifics (such as we are currently discussing a 99th percentile requirement, or a 50 debates done requirement) are still in discussion.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 4:08:44 PM
At 5/23/2012 2:16:15 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
This is a good idea. There is a community of people here, many of whom are intelligent and eager to get their ideas out. But, we need new members, new ideas, a new perspective on things. If through this mentor system DDO can attract new people, what reason is there not to start up a mentor system? It is a completely volunteer based system, and could, improve the quality of this site.

This will not attract new people. Attracting new people is hard. My business studies teacher, who set up and still operates around 20 in different industries in my home county in Devon, as well as one in Austria if I remember correctly, taught me one truth: "It is six times harder to attract new consumers than it is to retain old ones". This system will increase the retaining of members. If you look at inactivity, it is huge. This will hopefully be a first step in tackling this issue.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 4:12:41 PM
At 5/23/2012 4:06:44 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

We are currently in discussion on this point (and were around 3 days before your post) on the issue of who gets to mentor. We have came to an agreement on sorts that they have to be agreed by a pre-select council (probably consisting of myself, C-P and others who helped set it up/helped early on). The actual specifics (such as we are currently discussing a 99th percentile requirement, or a 50 debates done requirement) are still in discussion.

If you guys want to, and can implement it, go for it. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Tsar of DDO
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 4:48:17 PM
At 5/23/2012 4:08:44 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/23/2012 2:16:15 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

This will not attract new people. Attracting new people is hard. My business studies teacher, who set up and still operates around 20 in different industries in my home county in Devon, as well as one in Austria if I remember correctly, taught me one truth: "It is six times harder to attract new consumers than it is to retain old ones". This system will increase the retaining of members. If you look at inactivity, it is huge. This will hopefully be a first step in tackling this issue.

There are a 115 new members right now. (As of me typing this). At the current status, maybe 1 of them will stay on the site long enough to see the forums and look at them. The rest will just log off, never to log on again. These new members are not old customers. Many of them probably just searched on google and found this site. We must turn many of these peoples attention away from the debate entitled "Should gum be allowed in school" and "regular school is better than virtual school" to the debates entitled "Speciesism is unjustified given a preference utilitarian framework." (for example). You see, right now these new people are "potential customers" they are not customers until they actually interact with the site, then the community can keep them coming back.