Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Hipster Fallacy

AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 1:01:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I kind of think he was screwing with me, but one of my friends claimed that there is a sort of opposite argumentum ad populum called the hipster fallacy, which claims something is good/true because a majority of people do not support it.

So, has anyone ever heard/seen of such a fallacy being used?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 1:03:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/23/2012 1:01:34 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
I kind of think he was screwing with me, but one of my friends claimed that there is a sort of opposite argumentum ad populum called the hipster fallacy, which claims something is good/true because a majority of people do not support it.

So, has anyone ever heard/seen of such a fallacy being used?

It's definitely fallacious... that's all she wrote.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 1:08:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's not a fallacy in as much as it is merely a guiding principle for the subjective asthetics of Hipsters. They like things that are not in the mainstream.

Now, that's not to say they don't try and portray some things as being objectively better because they are not in the mainstream, but you get into a tangled web of the precise nature of their premises, what relies on what, what is inferred from what, what are consequences, what are the implications, etc.

For example, not being in the mainstream, rather than being an end into itself, could be argued to be a reflection of an unwillingness to sign a record contract (in the sense of a musical artist) and thus, not be beholden to a recording company, allowing them to produce music that is more true to their sensibilities and talents.

If they could argue that mass produced music is of some inferior quality than independent and underground artists, and that quality is tied, in some way, to their status as being independent and underground, then it isn't a fallacy.

Unfortunately, this would have to be demonstrated on a case-by-case basis, rather than through general application. Furthermore, the matters in question (music, food, clothing) are those that fall into the realm of asthetics and, therefore, are in no small part subjective.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 1:10:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's a certain fallacy, but it's not an "official" one. It's less the fact that it's a minority, but more the fact that it's something that is popular among people, even if the majority don't do it. It may be "cool" or "indie". For example:

(Context of the 1990s)
Hey, you know how being gay is so 'in' now? I'm going to try it out myself.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:11:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you argue the majority that's a bandwagon fallacy
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:12:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/23/2012 5:11:26 PM, 16kadams wrote:
If you argue the majority that's a bandwagon fallacy

Wait whoa it's like an opposite bandwagon 0.0
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:18:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/23/2012 1:01:34 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
I kind of think he was screwing with me, but one of my friends claimed that there is a sort of opposite argumentum ad populum called the hipster fallacy, which claims something is good/true because a majority of people do not support it.

So, has anyone ever heard/seen of such a fallacy being used?

I heard of that fallacy before it was cool.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:50:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If what you're describing is determining the truth value of a proposition by virtue of how many people DON'T agree rather than how many DO agree, that seems like simply the flip side of the argumentum ad populum coin.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:56:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/23/2012 5:53:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:
this reminds me:

http://25.media.tumblr.com...

Fits so well.

The God of hipsters.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:14:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/23/2012 5:56:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 5/23/2012 5:53:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:
this reminds me:

http://25.media.tumblr.com...

Fits so well.

The God of hipsters.

Well I was mostly making fun of Austrian economics. It's considered the "hip" thing to do because it disagrees with mainstream economics.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:43:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/23/2012 6:14:54 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/23/2012 5:56:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 5/23/2012 5:53:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:
this reminds me:

http://25.media.tumblr.com...

Fits so well.

The God of hipsters.

Well I was mostly making fun of Austrian economics. It's considered the "hip" thing to do because it disagrees with mainstream economics.

Well so does ANY other heterodox school. Isn't that simply a reversal of the hipster fallacy i.e. argumentum ad populum. I don't think all Austrians are necessarily hipsters. Though look at Jefrey Tucker, bow-tie wearing mother fccker.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.