Jump to topic:

Just a few questions...

Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:52:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I noticed something about upcoming elections. So I ask, is this a democracy or a republic?

How do you decide when to hold elections?

Are there limits to terms?

What is the responsibility of the President and Vice President?

Are these two granted unlimited, unchecked power?

Is a cabinet system too difficult to create?

Is everyone OK with the mob deciding everything?
#BlackLivesMatter
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:55:57 AM
At 5/24/2012 3:52:00 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
I noticed something about upcoming elections. So I ask, is this a democracy or a republic?

It's generally a random consensus made from certain people declaring it and then others going along.

A presidential term is 6 months.

Primarily, to be the Representative of the user-base to Juggle.
Secondly, to moderate.

No. They have ability to ban users and remove or edit posts and topics.

There's no practical need for it but we've done it for fun in the past.

I don't think you seem to appreciate that we are one of the few sites out there that actually get to pick our own moderator.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 4:07:02 AM
At 5/24/2012 3:55:57 AM, FREEDO wrote:

And how many terms can one serve?

Secondly, to moderate.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what new features have been implemented by Juggle on the request of the President?

Is Juggle OK with the presidential....thing?

I like that. I assume there is a trail before I user is banned of course?

Idk. Represent the different factions. Conservatives and Liberals, anarchist etc etc.

I don't think you seem to appreciate that we are one of the few sites out there that actually get to pick our own moderator.

Oh please, I don't mean to offend but it feels....like a popularity contest. Like if your beliefs aren't popular, you've got no chance do you? Although you could make the same case for real life I guess...
#BlackLivesMatter
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 4:17:59 AM
At 5/24/2012 4:07:02 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:

Oh, I don't think there's a limit.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what new features have been implemented by Juggle on the request of the President?

Bug fixes.
Rich text in debates and messages.
More religions added to the religious options.
Vote and post counter on profiles.
New forums including economics, games, personal and philosophy.
There are more but I can't remember.
Innomen has played a big part in communicating our desires to Juggle.

Well, it's they that gave us the ability.
They even made us a page for it(though it hasn't been updated since they put it there): http://www.debate.org...

Oh please, I don't mean to offend but it feels....like a popularity contest. Like if your beliefs aren't popular, you've got no chance do you? Although you could make the same case for real life I guess...

Not at all. Innomen, for example, is Christian and conservative. The majority of active members on DDO are non religious and lean more to the left.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:22:31 AM

It's generally a random consensus made from certain people declaring it and then others going along.

Isn't it! ^_^

Doesn't it sort of quantify any claims to intelligentsia?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:33:24 AM
At 5/24/2012 4:17:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Currently there is no limit, but if elected I would push to establish a 2 term limit for the president.

Bug fixes.

They even made us a page for it(though it hasn't been updated since they put it there): http://www.debate.org...

Not at all. Innomen, for example, is Christian and conservative. The majority of active members on DDO are non religious and lean more to the left.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:39:49 AM

Secondly, to moderate.

Actually, I'm not sure that we do get to choose the mod. Juggle made the decision to make Innoment the mod when he was president. I'm not privy to his discussions with Juggle regarding the mod assignment after his term is over, but it seems that he'll continue as mod, or choose his own replacement. I don't think the members have much say in that.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:43:06 AM
At 5/24/2012 8:33:24 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Currently there is no limit, but if elected I would push to establish a 2 term limit for the president.

What????? Why 2 terms??? Hell a presidential term only lasts 6 months and Id hate for a great president to be thrown out on his a** and have some teenager who doesnt know sh*t take his place! In real life it makes sense since presidential terms last four years but on here the responsibilities of the president are a little less important compared to the President of the United States so really there isnt any harm in allowing for unlimited terms....

Bug fixes.

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:57:32 AM
Clarification: The mod position is in no way connected to either the president's position, or an election.

2 terms is enough, and there should be an opportunity for new perspectives on the presidency. I would also endorse a 2 term limit.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 10:41:53 AM
At 5/24/2012 8:57:32 AM, innomen wrote:
Clarification: The mod position is in no way connected to either the president's position, or an election.

2 terms is enough, and there should be an opportunity for new perspectives on the presidency. I would also endorse a 2 term limit.

In my opinion a 4 term limit would be best
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:08:59 AM
At 5/24/2012 8:43:06 AM, imabench wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:33:24 AM, medic0506 wrote:

What????? Why 2 terms??? Hell a presidential term only lasts 6 months and Id hate for a great president to be thrown out on his a** and have some teenager who doesnt know sh*t take his place! In real life it makes sense since presidential terms last four years but on here the responsibilities of the president are a little less important compared to the President of the United States so really there isnt any harm in allowing for unlimited terms....

That's just my personal opinion on that issue, and obviously it would be up to the membership to authorize such a change, but it is something that I support. One year as president of a website community is a long time, and it's good to get a fresh face and a different perspective in the office occassionally. Unlike the POTUS, I think a person should be allowed to run again after being out of office for 1 term.

Bug fixes.

I would think that they appreciate having one specific person elected by the members, to communicate with, rather than a constant barage of e-mails asking them to fix this, or change that.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:12:05 AM

That was my understanding from when I was in the inner circle, so I was a little confused on that when I saw Freedo's answer.

Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:36:46 PM

I stand corrected then. Thanks for answering my questions.
#BlackLivesMatter
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:34:51 PM

I guess that makes you the king.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)