Jump to topic:

Italy's Drinking Age?

Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:34:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As some of you know, I recently concluded a trip to Italy over the last two weeks. It was wonderful. But there were a few oddities. One being the pay-to-go-in public bathrooms. But one above all struck me funny.

I was in a restaurant one day and the drink order was going around. When it came to me, I was offered a selection of wines, yes, wine. Granted, I do look a little older than my age, but not by that much. Of course, I said no. I was so shocked that I did some research on the subject a little later. This is what I found.

I first checked Wikipedia. They said it was 16. Yes, 16. I'm only two behind that. Then I checked Yahoo Answers just to here some personal experiences. These were just two of them. "In Italy there isn't a legal drinking age; national law only states is illegal to serve alcoholic drinks to minor of 16 in public places (pubs, restaurants, etc)""It is legal for 14-15 year olds to drink if the alcohol is provided by a parent or legal guardian. The age for purchasing alcohol is 16." I fit the bill on the latter one.

I was shocked. This is so odd. Any thoughts?
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:38:43 PM
At 5/26/2012 2:34:28 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
As some of you know, I recently concluded a trip to Italy over the last two weeks. It was wonderful. But there were a few oddities. One being the pay-to-go-in public bathrooms. But one above all struck me funny.

I was in a restaurant one day and the drink order was going around. When it came to me, I was offered a selection of wines, yes, wine. Granted, I do look a little older than my age, but not by that much. Of course, I said no. I was so shocked that I did some research on the subject a little later. This is what I found.

I first checked Wikipedia. They said it was 16. Yes, 16. I'm only two behind that. Then I checked Yahoo Answers just to here some personal experiences. These were just two of them. "In Italy there isn't a legal drinking age; national law only states is illegal to serve alcoholic drinks to minor of 16 in public places (pubs, restaurants, etc)""It is legal for 14-15 year olds to drink if the alcohol is provided by a parent or legal guardian. The age for purchasing alcohol is 16." I fit the bill on the latter one.

Im not surprised I drink in america anyway lol.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:39:47 PM
At 5/26/2012 2:38:43 PM, kyro90 wrote:

That's scary... And illegal. Police!
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:41:15 PM
At 5/26/2012 2:39:47 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

Haha! You shall never catch me! *Hides*
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:41:56 PM
At 5/26/2012 2:41:15 PM, kyro90 wrote:

*Finds you with my shotty*
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:44:04 PM
At 5/26/2012 2:41:56 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

*Finds you with my shotty*

http://www.debate.org...
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:44:55 PM

*Tracks down**Catches**Grabs Gun*...
Awesome-Sauce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:04:02 PM

Hmmm... I'm 17... *packs bags*
Cogito ergo sum - Rene Descartes

: At 6/23/2012 1:15:48 AM, bossyburrito wrote: (to Jimtimmy)
:
: You are the equivelent of a fly buzzing around a cow. I can just swat you with my tail without it taking my attention away from grazing the sweet grass that is DDO.

DDOians for a better DDO! (DDOfabDDO)
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:52:39 PM
I think its fine. The government shouldn't be involved with the restriction of such things anyway. Moreover, the American laws are completely ridiculous.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:58:28 PM
At 5/26/2012 3:52:39 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I think its fine. The government shouldn't be involved with the restriction of such things anyway. Moreover, the American laws are completely ridiculous.

Yes they are. The first time I went to Ireland there was no drinking age at all, and you never heard of alcohol being a problem with the Irish right? It was also the first time I got drunk, good times.
Awesome-Sauce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:08:13 PM
At 5/26/2012 3:58:28 PM, innomen wrote:

Yes they are. The first time I went to Ireland there was no drinking age at all, and you never heard of alcohol being a problem with the Irish right? It was also the first time I got drunk, good times.

Innomen's post = 115,000 post on a forum under the Debate.org category
Cogito ergo sum - Rene Descartes

: At 6/23/2012 1:15:48 AM, bossyburrito wrote: (to Jimtimmy)
:
: You are the equivelent of a fly buzzing around a cow. I can just swat you with my tail without it taking my attention away from grazing the sweet grass that is DDO.

DDOians for a better DDO! (DDOfabDDO)
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:19:49 PM
At 5/26/2012 3:52:39 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Good point.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:25:13 PM
Italy is laid back when it comes to serving alcohol to minors. Honestly, it is not that big of a deal to them. They don't have the same societal problems with alcohol.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:29:14 PM
I looked at all countries. It's interesting. The US has one of the highest drinking ages anywhere. All the places that match it or make it illegal are Muslim countries, where Sharia Law, a staple in Middle Eastern Law, bans it, and some islands in Oceania.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:50:45 PM
I will never understand why Americans make drinking such a big deal lol. In Canada, drinking age is 19 but most people have their first drink by 14 and it's not a big deal at all. They were strict about not having alcohol at prom, but people threw parties at their houses all the time with alcohol and nobody cared.

My parents never cared if me or my siblings tasted alcohol, and none of us drink nearly as much as the kids who were forbidden to drink it (I haven't had alcohol since last year and on New Year's Eve I was asleep by 9:30).
yang.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 5:07:52 PM
During the Vietnam war the drinking age was 18, because the case was made - 'an 18 year old can die for the country, but not have a beer?' Afterward they began to increase the drinking age, and it just so happened that it went incrementally, and along with my age, so at my age of 19, the drinking age went to 19, then 20, then 21. It worked out fine for me, well sort of.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 5:12:33 PM
Who cares again? And WHY IS THIS IS IN THIS SECTION? Lol.

But why is this a big deal?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 5:22:29 PM
At 5/26/2012 5:12:33 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Who cares again? And WHY IS THIS IS IN THIS SECTION? Lol.

But why is this a big deal?

Just thought people would like to know. I actually did research because of this forum to discover America's weird drinking age.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 5:32:42 PM
At 5/26/2012 4:25:13 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Italy is laid back when it comes to serving alcohol to minors. Honestly, it is not that big of a deal to them. They don't have the same societal problems with alcohol.

Total bollocks. They just don't give as many sh1ts because they aren't pvssies.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 5:33:59 PM
At 5/26/2012 5:32:42 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

(Their politicians that is, compared to the theocracy of America. Italians in general are pvssies.)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 8:16:41 PM
Well, we do have this little problem with drunk driving.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 6:04:45 AM
At 5/26/2012 8:16:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, we do have this little problem with drunk driving.

In Italy they call that driving.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 6:34:31 AM
At 5/26/2012 5:33:59 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/26/2012 5:32:42 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

(Their politicians that is, compared to the theocracy of America. Italians in general are pvssies.)

You misspelt LAD.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 9:57:45 AM

I have never really understood why the USA is so strict on alchohol. The USA seems realy peculiar/strange to me. The USA is the only modern democracy with a drinking age of 21 and enforces it the most strictly. Only a handful of Islamic-Facist countries are more strict about drinking. The USA is the oddball when it comes to drinking age, not the other way around. There are plenty of great arguments lo lower, the drinking age in the USA and not many good ones to keep being strict. I find the USA's attitude towards drinking absurd and perplexing.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 11:18:44 AM
At 5/27/2012 9:57:45 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I have never really understood why the USA is so strict on alchohol. The USA seems realy peculiar/strange to me. The USA is the only modern democracy with a drinking age of 21 and enforces it the most strictly. Only a handful of Islamic-Facist countries are more strict about drinking. The USA is the oddball when it comes to drinking age, not the other way around. There are plenty of great arguments lo lower, the drinking age in the USA and not many good ones to keep being strict. I find the USA's attitude towards drinking absurd and perplexing.

Man, everyone else on this forum has said the same thing. It makes sense. I didn't know the US's drinking age was so high.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 3:39:58 PM
I don't think teenagers would be able to handle drinking. Their judgement and responsibility is already near zero, adding alcohol - a substance that curbs those two things - would be a bad mix (and usually is).

Personally, I favor prohibition. But that's just my radical personal view.

Either way, I think it should be 18 here in the US. If you can smoke, vote, have sex, buy porn, fight for your country and sign legal contracts you better damnn well be able to have a beer afterwards.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 4:03:08 PM
There are twentyfive year olds I know that I wouldn't trust with a used condom, and our local (and probably most successful) local community project runner (to put it simply, he sets up basically everything between pressure groups and government) is 15. In short, there are 25 year olds I wouldn't trust with booze, and 15 year olds that I would. The problem is what we do in this situation...

kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 4:08:36 PM
At 5/27/2012 3:01:09 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
Kyro drinks?

You only reply to that? xD I drank a few. Got drunk a few. Who knows what else. O_O