Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

This is JUST what I have been looking for!

JTisTrue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:35:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello all you veteran Debater.org debaters!

I must admit that I am a total debate.com virgin. I just created my profile five minutes ago after finding the website 10 minutes ago. Filling out my profile as honestly as possible will take awhile since I think to do so will make the experience here more enjoyable for all parties. Actually, the pro/con issue part is rather challenging since most of those issues require more tan a simple pro or con answer. I would wager the lot of you thought the same thing at first.

When it comes to face to face debating, I'm the veteran of many conversations that evolve into debates. While I am engaged in the free (sometimes loud) exchange of ideas and opinions and theories, I feel like I have never been more alive! Alas, most of the time my opposite would rather punch me the in the kidneys at this point instead of carrying on the conversation. Fortunately, most of the time the person will get frustrated and walk away, stop talking, etc. etc. What a shame....

I KNOW the majority of you must be able to relate to these types of situations. It is SO frustrating when you find out that someone you are engaged in heated discussion with would rather give up ("Your gonna give up?! Seriously?!" "I am NOT being personal!") than put up with GASP! someone challenging (never with hostility) their ideas to their face. SO!I went looking and found this site upon which I place high hopes.

I hope you can try to put up with my noobishness as I attempt to learn and follow whatever structure and/or rulebook guides thousands of loudmouths into controlled debates from the safety of our respective computer nooks, desks, laps.
I shall enjoy meeting anyone wishing to do the same and then hopefully things will get interesting. Here, among peers know the draw of the debate, I know all parties will emerge satisfied.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:40:58 PM
Welcome to DDO (debate.org).

This website is by far dominated by pretty much right-wingers, so you'll probably find plenty to debate here.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:44:12 PM
At 5/27/2012 1:40:58 PM, Contra wrote:

This website is by far dominated by pretty much right-wingers, so you'll probably find plenty to debate here.

False. This website is dominated by libertarians of both left and right wings.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:46:48 PM
At 5/27/2012 1:44:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Libertarians dominate DDO, followed by conservatives.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:46:56 PM

False. Look around! All the popular people are liberals! People like 16k and Jim are hated on while people like Imabench and Royal rule the site!
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:47:44 PM
Welcome to DDO.

The site, while often lagging in quality, is an excellent forum for intellectual discussion and socialization.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:49:34 PM
At 5/27/2012 1:46:48 PM, Contra wrote:
At 5/27/2012 1:44:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Libertarians dominate DDO, followed by conservatives.

There are just about as many "conservatives" as there are "liberals." Libertarians are pretty evenly spread out among the axis.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
JTisTrue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 2:00:43 PM
I can already tell how great this will be based on the debate that happened 2 MINS after i said hello. Awesome!
While I tend to be progressive in most fields, I love having people try to convince me I am wrong. I have not been arrogant enough yet to refuse to revise my opinion when truth is yelling in my face, sometime literally. Any opinion is open for discussion with me. With the exception of my absolute core beliefs.
After all, if one can theoretically convince another of the truth of any opinion why wouldn't a change in aid opinion occur? Strangely enough, I have been wrong quite often. I guess you'd have to be like, Charles DeGaulle level arrogant to still put up a fight at that point.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 2:08:17 PM
At 5/27/2012 2:00:43 PM, JTisTrue wrote:
I can already tell how great this will be based on the debate that happened 2 MINS after i said hello. Awesome!
While I tend to be progressive in most fields, I love having people try to convince me I am wrong. I have not been arrogant enough yet to refuse to revise my opinion when truth is yelling in my face, sometime literally. Any opinion is open for discussion with me. With the exception of my absolute core beliefs.
After all, if one can theoretically convince another of the truth of any opinion why wouldn't a change in aid opinion occur? Strangely enough, I have been wrong quite often. I guess you'd have to be like, Charles DeGaulle level arrogant to still put up a fight at that point.

Good luck. Your reputation here is based on how well you can support your assertions - arrogance is optional.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 2:21:51 PM

Lol.

Past my trolling, welcome to the site and all that good stuff.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 3:15:44 PM

Sapere Aude!
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 3:30:28 PM
Yes welcome!

This site is great. It's friendly, edgy, heated, intelligent and fanciful. I hope you enjoy yourself here and is good to see a newbie so enthusiastic!
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 3:32:46 PM
I wish you good luck. The majority of us may seem innapropriate, but bear with us. We are quite an enjoyable bunch. By the way, vote for Airmax and Innomen. And I am cheesedingo1. I wish to be good friends and look forward to good debates.

That is all.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 3:38:53 PM
You are not allowed full access to the site until you pledge allegiance to The FREEDO Empire.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 4:15:09 PM
Any opinion is open for discussion with me. With the exception of my absolute core beliefs.

This will need to change.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 5:32:25 PM
Any opinion is open for discussion with me. With the exception of my absolute core beliefs.

Gonna put this to the challenge.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 5:34:09 PM
Velkommen.

It's the best worst site I've ever found.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 5:36:43 PM
At 5/27/2012 5:34:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
Velkommen.

Willkommen. Assuming you were saying "Welcome" auf Deutsch.

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 6:50:00 PM

Welcome!

You are wrong. Oh so very wrong.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 6:58:23 PM
At 5/27/2012 6:50:00 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Welcome!

You are wrong. Oh so very wrong.

I find it annoying to be proven wrong.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 7:00:25 PM
At 5/27/2012 1:46:56 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

False. Look around! All the popular people are liberals! People like 16k and Jim are hated on while people like Imabench and Royal rule the site!

I'm quoting this when I get back from Maine
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 7:05:45 PM
At 5/27/2012 7:00:25 PM, imabench wrote:

I'm quoting this when I get back from Maine

While conservatives and libertarians outnumber liberals, there are plenty of liberals who are of great debating ability.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 7:22:00 PM
At 5/27/2012 1:35:52 PM, JTisTrue wrote:
Hello all you veteran Debater.org debaters!

I must admit that I am a total debate.com virgin. I just created my profile five minutes ago after finding the website 10 minutes ago. Filling out my profile as honestly as possible will take awhile since I think to do so will make the experience here more enjoyable for all parties. Actually, the pro/con issue part is rather challenging since most of those issues require more tan a simple pro or con answer. I would wager the lot of you thought the same thing at first.

When it comes to face to face debating, I'm the veteran of many conversations that evolve into debates. While I am engaged in the free (sometimes loud) exchange of ideas and opinions and theories, I feel like I have never been more alive! Alas, most of the time my opposite would rather punch me the in the kidneys at this point instead of carrying on the conversation. Fortunately, most of the time the person will get frustrated and walk away, stop talking, etc. etc. What a shame....

I KNOW the majority of you must be able to relate to these types of situations. It is SO frustrating when you find out that someone you are engaged in heated discussion with would rather give up ("Your gonna give up?! Seriously?!" "I am NOT being personal!") than put up with GASP! someone challenging (never with hostility) their ideas to their face. SO!I went looking and found this site upon which I place high hopes.

I hope you can try to put up with my noobishness as I attempt to learn and follow whatever structure and/or rulebook guides thousands of loudmouths into controlled debates from the safety of our respective computer nooks, desks, laps.
I shall enjoy meeting anyone wishing to do the same and then hopefully things will get interesting. Here, among peers know the draw of the debate, I know all parties will emerge satisfied.

Welcome.

You might be hazed, unless you're sycophantic or so exceedingly nice, you make yourself a little sick, and have absolutely no concrete opinions whatsoever.

Most people here seem much meaner than they really are, especially me.

Expect drama. Expect to be challenged. Expect to be offended.

Come hard. Use sources. Don't troll.

Cheers.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 7:24:18 PM
At 5/27/2012 5:36:43 PM, Contra wrote:
Velkommen.

Yeah, I don't speak german in the slightest.

NEIN!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 12:06:20 AM
At 5/27/2012 7:24:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/27/2012 5:36:43 PM, Contra wrote:
Velkommen.

Yeah, I don't speak german in the slightest.

NEIN!

Norweigan or Danish then?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 12:14:39 AM
At 5/27/2012 11:56:19 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Looking at his username, does this mean Jimtimmy was right all along?

xD. That's what I thought too...

What is JT referring to, JTistrue?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 12:29:14 AM

Well, I do dominate Conservative :)
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush