Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Bad Form?

Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:00:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is it considered bad form to send out an email to a group of people to ask them to vote in a debate? Not vote a certain way, to be sure, but to read the debate and cast a vote?
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:00:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:01:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:00:04 PM, Meatros wrote:
Is it considered bad form to send out an email to a group of people to ask them to vote in a debate? Not vote a certain way, to be sure, but to read the debate and cast a vote?

If you don't do it all the time, it's fine.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:03:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:00:04 PM, Meatros wrote:
Is it considered bad form to send out an email to a group of people to ask them to vote in a debate? Not vote a certain way, to be sure, but to read the debate and cast a vote?

it depends on who you do it to. Some people get really angry about it, while others will read the debate
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:05:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think so. I've only done it once (but that was when the conservative voting block screwed me over-not to self: never debate 16k).

Because then the people almost always vote for the person who sent them to vote. I think it's perfectly fine if you're VB'ed or there are only a few days/hours left in the voting period and there are no votes.
Sapere Aude!
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:09:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yes, if the message is "vote on this debate please!" When it's just been finished, and no forfeits / blatant winner (that is, someone posts practically nothing, or just swears throughout). No if it is to friends who have done it before. Yes if the message has no reason why. State in the message if there's a forfeit, and state in the message the debate topic. Send it to people who are close site-friends or interested parties.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:14:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:00:04 PM, Meatros wrote:
Is it considered bad form to send out an email to a group of people to ask them to vote in a debate? Not vote a certain way, to be sure, but to read the debate and cast a vote?

I find getting these messages irritating most of the time. If you can show good reason why you needed to send out the email, and make it clear that your only interest is feedback rather then points, then I'm ok with it. However that is rarely the case. We have threads on this for a reason.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:14:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:09:17 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Yes, if the message is "vote on this debate please!" When it's just been finished, and no forfeits / blatant winner (that is, someone posts practically nothing, or just swears throughout). No if it is to friends who have done it before. Yes if the message has no reason why. State in the message if there's a forfeit, and state in the message the debate topic. Send it to people who are close site-friends or interested parties.

Ah, okay.

I do think I'll wait until after my debate actually ends before I consider sending out an email. I also think that in the future I need to extend the voting period. The one I'm referring to is two weeks. My prior reasoning being that after two weeks it's unlikely that anyone is going to read the debate (unless you happen to be one of the more popular debaters, which I'm not).


(scratches Stephen_Hawkins off of email list)


-)
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:15:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:01:18 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
No, but you could post it in one of the post unvoted or votr bombed debate forums.

Good idea.

I might do this if no one votes on it after a week.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:25:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:16:09 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
I usually go around and posting my debates on people's profile.

And people vote....right? :)
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:31:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yes it is bad form. Don't send any out, or at least don't include me in them.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:41:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:00:04 PM, Meatros wrote:
Is it considered bad form to send out an email to a group of people to ask them to vote in a debate? Not vote a certain way, to be sure, but to read the debate and cast a vote?

Nah it's not bad form to advertise. I do it all the time. Just don't tell them who to vote for. Most of the time when I send out links to debates for people to vote, I just get voted against. But I like people to at least read them, so it's okay. A lot of times they will just sit in the unvoted forums and won't get voted unless you do some direct advertising.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 1:41:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:31:04 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Yes it is bad form. Don't send any out, or at least don't include me in them.

How is this bad form? I would like to debate you on this.. ;-)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 2:03:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 1:25:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 5/28/2012 1:16:09 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
I usually go around and posting my debates on people's profile.

And people vote....right? :)

lolz.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 2:16:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My debate just ended so I will have to see how it all plays out. I made an obvious goof in the conclusion - I should have said 'my opponent has not refuted...' instead I forgot the 'not'.

Hopefully it won't cost me terribly.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 2:45:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No, it's not bad form. In addition to being about debate, the site has a social networking aspect. We have so many garbage debates scrolling by in the "Recently completed" pages that I like to hear about debates that are worth reading. Common sense prevails: You can't flag every debate, you have to be willing to accept votes against you without getting sore about it, and you have to be willing to respond to your friends requests.

The unvoted and vote bombed threads don't apply to good debates that have, say, three votes. With low numbers of votes on controversial topics, the win or loss may then be a matter of who happens to stumble onto the debate. More votes are better.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 2:58:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just get annoyed when I get really long debates being told to "vote on this" when it's something I do not care about. if it's a large good debate between two people, I might get around to reading it. If it's an obvious vote e.g. concession I will certainly vote. But that's usually it.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 3:33:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I never got the problem some people have with this. If someone does not want to be soliciated with debates is one thing. However it is not bad form or conduct to ask for people to vote. However it is bad form to ask people to votebomb for you.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.