Jump to topic:

5 Round debates

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:30:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In my look around for debates to read I notice what feels like an ever increasing number of 5 round debates. Another thing I notice is that 5 rounders are typically instigated by new members. Debate.org is the only site I am aware of that has this type of format to debate in. Most sites geared for intellectual discussion are more similar to forums where arguments are more like sound bites then thought out and in depth responses, and I think this leads to a mistaken mentality of endurance as opposed to potency.

Unfortunately there is no way to teach new members that 5 round debates are extremely long and undesirable among the vast majority of users to participate in or read and therefore vote on. They usually figure that out after a few, but by then we will have more new members instigating debates who have yet to realize this. I think this site would benefit from the removal of 5 round debates as an option.

I am curious to see what other users think.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:33:49 AM
I agree for the most part, but I think its nice to have the option, especially for a complex topic with the 1st round being for acceptance.

I think new members should make a greater effort to be aware of the conventions of debating here, and read as many debates as they can before instigating their own though.
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:36:58 AM
I enjoy having the option for a five round debate, especially if the topic is something that merits plenty of depth and attention to. Of course, there aren't that many of those types of debates being made these days, but it's always a good thing to have around. The old "tool in the toolbox" metaphor comes to mind.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 2:07:11 AM
I think both responses thus far illustrate the issue. I agree that it is nice to have the option, and that there are some circumstances when 5 round debates can be beneficial. However these are simply thoughts, not reality. 5 rounders rarely meet the standards that most of us would consider worth reading or participating in. Therefore the result of having this option is that it does the site more harm then good.

There is always of course an idea like having the option after 3 completed debates, but thats getting complicated and far less realistic.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 2:13:19 AM
5 round debates usually aren't as long as they appear, especially if they're by a new user. You can have far less characters used per round, so they can be even shorter than 3 or 4 round debates.

Personally, I like 5 round debates because they give you more opportunities to rebut your opponent. Unfortunately, they are also more forfeit-prone.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 6:34:44 AM
Alot of the 5 debate rounds I read, the first round is used for acceptance/definitions so its already really down to a 4 round debate.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 6:50:07 AM
I like five round debates. For me, Round 1 is acceptance and Round 5 is a 2500 character conclusion. That leaves only three debating rounds.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 2:53:33 PM
I think the site would be better with a four round limit, but it's not a big problem. Few people read five round debates, and they are usually not very good. But if two debaters don't car if anyone reads the debate, I guess that's okay. New debaters could be warned automatically that few will read the debate.

I've gotten to like the format of first round for background, definitions, and acceptance followed by three rounds of debate.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 4:46:57 PM
At 5/31/2012 2:53:33 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think the site would be better with a four round limit, but it's not a big problem. Few people read five round debates, and they are usually not very good. But if two debaters don't car if anyone reads the debate, I guess that's okay. New debaters could be warned automatically that few will read the debate.

I've gotten to like the format of first round for background, definitions, and acceptance followed by three rounds of debate.

That's why I usually do five round debates. Three debating rounds, one acceptance round, three debating rounds, and one conclusion round.