Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

If a debate was won through vote bombing

DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:40:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If a debate was won through vote bombing, can you have the debate reset?

I just lost a debate because Pro asked a friend to vote for him. Pro made the claim in the last round that I never mentioned financial capital till round 4, when really I've been arguing it since round 2. Pro's friend voted based off that single comment, and when his vote bomb was countered, Pro and his friend harassed the person who countered i the comments of the debate and on his profile, until he retracted his counter.

Pro won the debate through that single vote bomb. 2 other people voted for him in the last 2 hours of the voting period, which was the only votes he got other than the vote bomb; I'm not sure if they are also vote bombs or not, but it was a bit fishy. That one vote that is without a doubt a vote bomb tipped the votes so he could win by 3 points. So if his friend did not vote for him he would not have won.

Can I reset the debate since it was won through vote bombing?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:47:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 9:40:47 AM, DanT wrote:
If a debate was won through vote bombing, can you have the debate reset?

I just lost a debate because Pro asked a friend to vote for him. Pro made the claim in the last round that I never mentioned financial capital till round 4, when really I've been arguing it since round 2. Pro's friend voted based off that single comment, and when his vote bomb was countered, Pro and his friend harassed the person who countered i the comments of the debate and on his profile, until he retracted his counter.

Pro won the debate through that single vote bomb. 2 other people voted for him in the last 2 hours of the voting period, which was the only votes he got other than the vote bomb; I'm not sure if they are also vote bombs or not, but it was a bit fishy. That one vote that is without a doubt a vote bomb tipped the votes so he could win by 3 points. So if his friend did not vote for him he would not have won.

Can I reset the debate since it was won through vote bombing?

It can be removed, but not reset. I feel your pain, it's happened probably to most of us.
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:32:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Dude - clearly you are illiterate. I voted you down because you never provided a sufficient warrant until the last round. Just mentioning an argument without warranting it is not a full argument. As such, I consider new warrants - new arguments. Get over yourself. Clearly other people thought you lost as well (since 2 others voted you down?). And even ignoring the warrant issue I provided another offensive argument why he won. Kthx.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:46:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 10:32:18 AM, CiRrK wrote:
Dude - clearly you are illiterate. I voted you down because you never provided a sufficient warrant until the last round.
Again, that's not true. I used the same arguement in each round, because in each round Pro dropped my argument. One of the rounds he simply said "tl;dr" which should have lost him the debate, seeing as he didn't even read my argument.

My round 2 argument regarding working capital was

"If it can be bought or sold, or used to generate revenue, than it is capital. Humans are capital because our skills help to generate revenue; a book is capital because it can be sold or rented. A horse is capital because it can be used for transportational services, in order to generate a profit. A dog can be capital because it can be used for hunting, and may be bought and sold as pets. "

My round 3 argument for working capital was;

"As stated before, capital is anything that can be considered a form of wealth, or be used to obtain wealth.

There are two ways in which something can be considered capital; if it is financial capital, or if it is working capital.

(n) capital (wealth in the form of money or property owned by a person or business and human resources of economic value)

(n) working capital (assets available for use in the production of further assets)....

Art is capital, and the Mickey Mouse cartoon is capital. Mickey Mouse can be used to generate revenue. The character can be used to sell a product, such as a T-shirt, or bubble gum. The character can be used to sell the Disney brand, and therefore is an asset of Disney, used to generate a profit....
Until someone sells the rights to their music they will continue generating a profit from the song; this makes the rights to the song an asset, and therefore capital. Because one generates a profit from the song, the song is capital. If someone sells the rights to the song they also make a profit, therefore the rights are also capital. "

My round 4 argument was;

"Mickey Mouse is working Capital, and the depictions of Mickey Mouse are only possible because of the existence of Mickey Mouse. For example; Babe Ruth is Capital, and each time a photo is taken of Babe Ruth, the photo can be sold, or traded. Babe Ruth is working capital, and his image is financial capital."

In other words, I was reiterating the same argument, that was repetitively dropped.

Just mentioning an argument without warranting it is not a full argument. As such, I consider new warrants - new arguments. Get over yourself. Clearly other people thought you lost as well (since 2 others voted you down?). And even ignoring the warrant issue I provided another offensive argument why he won. Kthx.

I did not mention a new argument. It was the same old argument, Pro just dropped my argument, because he didn't bother to read most of what I wrote and even admitted to that in the debate.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:07:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If it makes you feel any better Dan, I think you should have won. The example of Mickey Mouse shows that the intellectual rights to the concept is capital, that it can be used to generate wealth. Your opponent never refuted that IP is capital... you did a good job.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:25:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 11:07:22 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
If it makes you feel any better Dan, I think you should have won. The example of Mickey Mouse shows that the intellectual rights to the concept is capital, that it can be used to generate wealth. Your opponent never refuted that IP is capital... you did a good job.

Dan didn't win? Damn.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:07:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
FLAMMEEEE WARRRRR!!!!!

Cirrk and DanT.

FLAAAAMMMMEEEEE WWWWAAAARRRRR!!!!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:10:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If I am honest, when flicking through the debate (not checking sources, just quickly going through points while making very quick notes of the actual contentions) it seemed like talking past each other except on examples. However, I'd have probably stated PRO won.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:27:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 12:10:37 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
If I am honest, when flicking through the debate (not checking sources, just quickly going through points while making very quick notes of the actual contentions) it seemed like talking past each other except on examples. However, I'd have probably stated PRO won.

That's just it, Pro never addressed my arguments, because as he stated in round 3, my arguments were too long so he he didn't read it. Pro not have had read my arguments, dropped my arguments regarding working capital in every round, than had the nerve to claim I never mentioned working capital, simply because he never read my arguments. Just because you didn't bother to read something, does not mean it was never mentioned.

One thing that really irked me was that not only did he not read my arguments, and latter claim my arguments were never made, but he also attempted to shift the burden of proof, so that he could make an argument from ignorance. He provided no source for why I had the burden of proof, even though I provided sources to refute his ridiculous claim, he simply claimed that since I instigated the debate that I had the BOP. If that was the case, an atheist instigating a debate with the resolution "God is real" would have the BOP even though the BOP always rests with the theist on the issue.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 6:14:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 9:40:47 AM, DanT wrote:
If a debate was won through vote bombing, can you have the debate reset?

I just lost a debate because Pro asked a friend to vote for him. Pro made the claim in the last round that I never mentioned financial capital till round 4, when really I've been arguing it since round 2. Pro's friend voted based off that single comment, and when his vote bomb was countered, Pro and his friend harassed the person who countered i the comments of the debate and on his profile, until he retracted his counter.

Pro won the debate through that single vote bomb. 2 other people voted for him in the last 2 hours of the voting period, which was the only votes he got other than the vote bomb; I'm not sure if they are also vote bombs or not, but it was a bit fishy. That one vote that is without a doubt a vote bomb tipped the votes so he could win by 3 points. So if his friend did not vote for him he would not have won.

Can I reset the debate since it was won through vote bombing?

I've lost several of my debates through vote bombing. It's just an unfortunate reality of the site you have to live with. I don't want those debates removed because I use them for research purposes in future debates I have on the same topic.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 6:26:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would have some sympathy had I not known that you had a penchant for continuing to argue for the validity of your arguments...

Though that doesn't mean that this case may be not applicable to others, however I do doubt it does apply to yours.....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 6:33:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 6:10:19 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
This has happened to everyone.

So true.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:18:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 9:40:47 AM, DanT wrote:
If a debate was won through vote bombing, can you have the debate reset?

I am still waiting for your challenge to defend whatever you think a vote bomb is, since you use a different definition then everyone else on this site.
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:29:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Rule 45 of DDO Handbook
Don't bring in drama from your lost debates.
B!tch somewhere else, please...
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest