Jump to topic:

Why I dont like mafias high popularity on ddo

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:52:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I notice people like IFLYHIGH, who I thought looked like he would be a prominent member when he first joined, spending much or all of their time here on mafia. I also observe fighting_falcon not voting on debates any more when he used to be probably the most prominent voter on this site. Some intelligent members are so drawn to playing mafia that they don't spend any time or little time on the other forums. Now of course it's everyones right to play mafia and I am not by any means calling people out or saying they should refrain from playing. I'm just pointing out an observation that dissapoints me. I do not like mafia's popularity because it draws intelligent people away from other forums/debates which is what this site is about.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:54:00 PM
A lot of people who play mafia hate the forum because they detract from the intellectual value of the site. So you're not going to convince those folks of very much with this thread.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:56:45 PM
Honestly, mafia doesn't take a lot of time at all. Correlation does not imply causation.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:59:32 PM
At 6/1/2012 12:54:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
A lot of people who play mafia hate the forum because they detract from the intellectual value of the site. So you're not going to convince those folks of very much with this thread.

How could the forums detract from the intellectual value of this site? Isn't that where most of the intellectual arguing takes place?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:03:48 PM
At 6/1/2012 12:59:32 PM, phantom wrote:

How could the forums detract from the intellectual value of this site? Isn't that where most of the intellectual arguing takes place?

"Intellectual arguing"

LOL
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:04:55 PM

How could the forums detract from the intellectual value of this site? Isn't that where most of the flame wars take place?

Fixed
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:08:06 PM
At 6/1/2012 1:04:55 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

How could the forums detract from the intellectual value of this site? Isn't that where most of the flame wars take place?

Fixed

Lol, well you know that just as many flame wars happen in mafia as in the forums.

Anyway, I play mafia a lot but also check the challenge section a few times a day to see if there's any interesting debates to accept. i just haven't found any recently, mostly because I've done a lot of topics already and dont like doing the same topic multiple times.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:10:07 PM
At 6/1/2012 1:08:06 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 6/1/2012 1:04:55 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Fixed

Lol, well you know that just as many flame wars happen in mafia as in the forums.

Anyway, I play mafia a lot but also check the challenge section a few times a day to see if there's any interesting debates to accept. i just haven't found any recently, mostly because I've done a lot of topics already and dont like doing the same topic multiple times.

Oh come now. You know Im up for bizarre foreign policy debates :P Im having 2 good ones atm actually
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:10:42 PM
I did mention debating as well (which I actually prefer much more than the forums). Don't know why you all ignore that.

And of course flame-wars take place, but to deny that intelligent debating also takes place would be to posit that every-one on this site prone to flame-waring which is absurd. There are many respectable people on this site who do not participate in flam wars.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:14:39 PM
At 6/1/2012 1:09:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you never worry about micromanaging peoples' activities based on your personal preferences regarding their behavior and its outcomes, I guess it isn't much of a problem.

At 6/1/2012 12:52:21 PM, phantom wrote:
Now of course it's everyones right to play mafia and I am not by any means calling people out or saying they should refrain from playing. I'm just pointing out an observation that dissapoints me. I do not like mafia's popularity because it draws intelligent people away from other forums/debates which is what this site is about.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing mafia. I'm not trying to make people refrain from playing in the least bit sheesh. I'm just pointing out that it draws people away from arguing thus I wish it wasn't so popular. Did you read what I wrote?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:23:35 PM
I hate mafia so much I never go into games.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 2:45:24 PM
At 6/1/2012 1:14:39 PM, phantom wrote:
If you never worry about micromanaging peoples' activities based on your personal preferences regarding their behavior and its outcomes, I guess it isn't much of a problem.

Now of course it's everyones right to play mafia and I am not by any means calling people out or saying they should refrain from playing. I'm just pointing out an observation that dissapoints me. I do not like mafia's popularity because it draws intelligent people away from other forums/debates which is what this site is about.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing mafia. I'm not trying to make people refrain from playing in the least bit sheesh. I'm just pointing out that it draws people away from arguing thus I wish it wasn't so popular. Did you read what I wrote?

orly?

"I do not like mafia's popularity because it draws intelligent people away from other forums/debates which is what this site is about."

Tee-hee. Even if you think playing mafia is permissible, you clearly don't think it's justifiable if you account for the opportunity cost of voting, debating, and participating on other forums. I'm assuming you're familiar with the distinction between permissibility and justification for stuff.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:07:38 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:45:24 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

orly?

"I do not like mafia's popularity because it draws intelligent people away from other forums/debates which is what this site is about."

Tee-hee. Even if you think playing mafia is permissible, you clearly don't think it's justifiable if you account for the opportunity cost of voting, debating, and participating on other forums. I'm assuming you're familiar with the distinction between permissibility and justification for stuff.

Justifiable? Of course I believe playing mafia is justified. You don't understand my point. Perhaps that's my fault perhaps it's yours; doesn't matter. What prompted me to write this was the fact that I felt it unfortunate that people play mafia rather than discuss issues in the other forums and debates. Justice has no rellevance. They are absolutely justified to play mafia because they have no duty to participate in other forums and debates nor is there any other reason why they should not play mafia. Simply put, with mafia, prominent members are drawn away from the other aspects of the site. In absence of mafia's high popularity that compulsion is diminished. I personally would perfer if mafia were less poplular but that is just my subjective opinion and has no baring on the justification of others actions.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:17:43 PM

Have you ever played?? That's all it is is arguing. If you wanna argue then play mafia.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:19:18 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:07:38 PM, phantom wrote:

orly?

Justifiable? Of course I believe playing mafia is justified. You don't understand my point. Perhaps that's my fault perhaps it's yours; doesn't matter. What prompted me to write this was the fact that I felt it unfortunate that people play mafia rather than discuss issues in the other forums and debates. Justice has no rellevance. They are absolutely justified to play mafia because they have no duty to participate in other forums and debates nor is there any other reason why they should not play mafia. Simply put, with mafia, prominent members are drawn away from the other aspects of the site. In absence of mafia's high popularity that compulsion is diminished. I personally would perfer if mafia were less poplular but that is just my subjective opinion and has no baring on the justification of others actions.

Would you feel the same way if they played mafia on another site?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:23:56 PM
At 6/1/2012 1:05:15 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Idk...forums to me seem more like nonsensical bantering as opposed to intellectual arguing

This. Debates are sometimes a good medium to argue in a reasoned manner but not always. Mafia is great, anyone who doesn't think so sucks. VTL Phantom.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:26:14 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:19:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

+1
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:27:36 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:19:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/1/2012 3:07:38 PM, phantom wrote:

orly?

I suppose...I think most members would share my feelings if another site was drawing away the prominent members.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:31:17 PM
There are plenty of sites that draw members from debating. The source of this siphoning of member time away is irrelevant as it will occur regardless.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:37:39 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:31:17 PM, caveat wrote:
There are plenty of sites that draw members from debating. The source of this siphoning of member time away is irrelevant as it will occur regardless.

+1.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:37:56 PM

So all you're saying is that I didn't need to make a thread about it. You're not disagreeing with my point. I wish I didn't make a thread about it, but nothing changes the fact that I believe the quality of this site could be better if not for mafia. I DO NOT in the least bit advocate any action against mafia. Nor do I find anything wrong with people participating in it. I'd just perfer if there did not exist within the realm of this site something that attracts members away from the other and main asspects of the site.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:39:06 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:37:56 PM, phantom wrote:

So all you're saying is that I didn't need to make a thread about it. You're not disagreeing with my point. I wish I didn't make a thread about it, but nothing changes the fact that I believe the quality of this site could be better if not for mafia. I DO NOT in the least bit advocate any action against mafia. Nor do I find anything wrong with people participating in it. I'd just perfer if there did not exist within the realm of this site something that attracts members away from the other and main asspects of the site.

Form an anti-mafia party :O
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:39:41 PM
Medic, yes but I had to drop out.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:41:25 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:39:06 PM, CiRrK wrote:
At 6/1/2012 3:37:56 PM, phantom wrote:

Form an anti-mafia party :O