Jump to topic:

Home Panel Suggestions

buckIPDA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 3:41:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is it just me, or does it seem like this widget could use some overhaul? I've only gotten 12 friends (forever alone), and it already seems like this box is constantly cluttered. I'm finding that I miss some key information, or I even forget about things completely. I know there's an e-mail option, but I don't think that solves the problem; it tends to clutter up my e-mail instead.

I think it would be more effective to have updates in the "what my friends are doing" section grouped together per friend. Also, you could have the option of subscribing or unsubscribing to various actions of your friends.
For example, If I'm really interested in what TUF wants to post in the forums, but apathetic to his debates or his personal comments on other people's profiles (I'm not though TUF) - then I would have the option of only being informed about his forum activity.
Furthermore, we could group the messages as a little box or picture of each friend, and when that friend has new activity that you're interested in you can check it out. Each specific friend's box/icon/picture/etc could have a star by it or it could be a different color or even blatantly be labeled "new" and you'd know there was new activity by that friend to see.

If I'm being vague or unclear, let me know and I'll clarify to the best of my ability. These are just ideas, and there's plenty of room for expansion.

Also I'd like it if we could receive account notifications concerning posts in a forum we've posted in prior, or another person's debate that one has commented or voted on. Often times, and I'm worse about this in the forums than in debate, I'll comment on something and then completely forget about it.

Anyway, just a though. This is a very rough formulation of what could very well be an effective alteration to this widget.

Thoughts? Questions? Insults?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 3:45:17 AM
Meh, I've gotten used to it.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
buckIPDA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 5:32:38 PM
>bump<

Clarified->
1. Forum notifications-
I know that a lot of the people here are really avid users of the forums. Myself? not so much.
But the only reason behind that is that I often forget I've posted something in the forums in the first place. What's worse is that I'm rather nocturnal, so when I post it's usually at night when not that many people are active.

Therefore I think it would be cool to be notified of any activity forums you've posted in to show up in your account notifications center

2. Grouping Friends-
I never look at the "what my friends are doing" section, because there's just so much there on a constant basis. When I first came back to DDO I thought I could solve this problem by simply being conscientious about who's friend request I accepted.

No luck.

Therefore I say the solution here is to group together people's activity and have the ability to collapse or expand their section to see what they've been up to. You could even have the option to turn notifications on and off for various things.
For example, if I'm really interested in what CiRrK has to say on debates, but not about his forum activity I could choose to only be notified when he does something related to debate.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:15:31 PM
Remove all messages in the section, and instead add another box which only shows debates they have started, debates they have in the voting period, and posts on your wall. Problem solved. Personally, I don't read it anyway.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 12:04:07 AM
I don't ever go on my home. Kind of makes the page a bit pointless. I agree that a more attractively-presented and comprehensive feed would be more desirable but since I don't really use it right now I wouldn't consider it a major priority.
buckIPDA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 12:31:13 AM
At 6/5/2012 12:04:07 AM, larztheloser wrote:
I don't ever go on my home. Kind of makes the page a bit pointless. I agree that a more attractively-presented and comprehensive feed would be more desirable but since I don't really use it right now I wouldn't consider it a major priority.

How do you manage not to use your home panel? 0-0
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:08:30 AM
I use it for notifications on my debates, and messages about friend req's and such, but I don't really care about what my bazillion friends on here are doing.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 10:43:32 AM
At 6/4/2012 5:32:38 PM, buckIPDA wrote:
>bump<

Clarified->
1. Forum notifications-
I know that a lot of the people here are really avid users of the forums. Myself? not so much.
But the only reason behind that is that I often forget I've posted something in the forums in the first place. What's worse is that I'm rather nocturnal, so when I post it's usually at night when not that many people are active.

Therefore I think it would be cool to be notified of any activity forums you've posted in to show up in your account notifications center
Sounds good.
2. Grouping Friends-
I never look at the "what my friends are doing" section, because there's just so much there on a constant basis. When I first came back to DDO I thought I could solve this problem by simply being conscientious about who's friend request I accepted.

No luck.

Therefore I say the solution here is to group together people's activity and have the ability to collapse or expand their section to see what they've been up to. You could even have the option to turn notifications on and off for various things.
For example, if I'm really interested in what CiRrK has to say on debates, but not about his forum activity I could choose to only be notified when he does something related to debate.

Now, this part is what I'm iffy on. Right now the homepage is a panel, with all of your friends activities in one place. If we make them friend-based panels, then A. Stuff wouldn't be in chronological order and B. People with hundreds of friends like Freedo would be worse off. I think that it could be an option, but not mandatory. I like the whole hide forum posts and stuff idea though.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush