Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Redoing the math to remove those not ranked?

Khana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:14:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello :) I only just recently found this site, and it looks like lots of fun :D

However, the percentile ranking system seems to have a flaw... in my opinion, a fairly critical flaw.

I noticed it when I looked at someone's profile and noticed that she had about a 6% win rate, over a hundred debates, and yet, had a 95th percentile ranking.

For me, I found it highly misleading. I would have thought someone with such a high ranking would have been good at debates... but the staggeringly poor success rate suggests otherwise.

Anyone else feel this way? Any thoughts? Any chance this might be implemented.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:15:13 PM
At 6/8/2012 9:14:14 PM, Khana wrote:
Hello :) I only just recently found this site, and it looks like lots of fun :D

However, the percentile ranking system seems to have a flaw... in my opinion, a fairly critical flaw.

I noticed it when I looked at someone's profile and noticed that she had about a 6% win rate, over a hundred debates, and yet, had a 95th percentile ranking.

For me, I found it highly misleading. I would have thought someone with such a high ranking would have been good at debates... but the staggeringly poor success rate suggests otherwise.

Anyone else feel this way? Any thoughts? Any chance this might be implemented.

The ranking system sucks. Don't base the competition on that.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:20:56 PM
At 6/8/2012 9:18:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
You won't find much opposition on this. Pretty much everyone agrees its flawed.

Yep, problem is the users don't have the authority to do anything about it.
Khana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:39:24 PM
Well. That's inconvenient. Really, it seems so easy to fix... I'm positive the rankings would be dramatically improved simply if "not ranked" was removed from the math... I'm not a programmer, but I can't imagine it'd be that hard...

Or simply to not have a ranking system, because it's either completely, or simply nearly, worthless, in the present form. Until it's fixed. Or something.

Wish I could really participate, though. A shame they don't have my carrier (I messaged them, but nothing yet.)

Ah, well. Thanks for commenting, anyway :)
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:39:37 PM
At 6/8/2012 9:18:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
You won't find much opposition on this. Pretty much everyone agrees its flawed.

This. It's sort of a topic beaten to death.

(Welcome to the site, BTW!)
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:42:00 PM
At 6/8/2012 9:39:24 PM, Khana wrote:
Well. That's inconvenient. Really, it seems so easy to fix... I'm positive the rankings would be dramatically improved simply if "not ranked" was removed from the math... I'm not a programmer, but I can't imagine it'd be that hard...

Or simply to not have a ranking system, because it's either completely, or simply nearly, worthless, in the present form. Until it's fixed. Or something.

Wish I could really participate, though. A shame they don't have my carrier (I messaged them, but nothing yet.)

Your going to have to submit your request to the Juggle-bot haha...it may be processed within the next year if you're lucky :P
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 9:54:43 PM
At 6/8/2012 9:39:24 PM, Khana wrote:

Ore_ele made an algorithm using the Elo ranking mechanism. You can check with him what your rank is based on his algorithm.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...