Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

How does a debate get on the front page?

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:22:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't think my rap battle should have been excluded. I forfeited one round, but came back. Also, I would appreciate a vote (since no one will notice it otherwise): [http://www.debate.org...]
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:23:42 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:22:23 PM, MouthWash wrote:
I don't think my rap battle should have been excluded. I forfeited one round, but came back. Also, I would appreciate a vote (since no one will notice it otherwise): [http://www.debate.org...]

If a debate has someone posting in all rounds, it gets on the front page.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:24:49 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:23:42 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

That really should be changed.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:26:33 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:24:49 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Think about someone visiting the site, and wants to read a debate. It's best if someone posted in every round so they have something to read. It just looks better than reading a debate where there's a forfeit. It's basically an exhibit for finished debates.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:29:08 PM

Why? What is your reasoning?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:29:20 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:26:33 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Think about someone visiting the site, and wants to read a debate. It's best if someone posted in every round so they have something to read. It just looks better than reading a debate where there's a forfeit. It's basically an exhibit for finished debates.

An alternative should be found, then. It's rather unfair that I should have to advertise a debate where only one round was neglected just to get some votes.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:31:53 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:29:20 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/10/2012 6:26:33 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

An alternative should be found, then. It's rather unfair that I should have to advertise a debate where only one round was neglected just to get some votes.

Two rounds were forfeited, one by you, one by your opponent. Think about it for a second, what debate should have priority? The one where there is a forfeit and is a joke debate or the one without the forfeit and is a serious discussion?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:35:04 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:31:53 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Two rounds were forfeited, one by you, one by your opponent. Think about it for a second, what debate should have priority? The one where there is a forfeit and is a joke debate or the one without the forfeit and is a serious discussion?

There is enough room and time for all of our debates to get the necessary exposure (if many rounds were forfeited it would be different).
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:37:21 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:35:04 PM, MouthWash wrote:

There is enough room and time for all of our debates to get the necessary exposure (if many rounds were forfeited it would be different).

....A wider base of exposure shouldn't displace our priorities of quality in terms of debates....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:37:32 PM
Voted
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:37:49 PM

So what? You never answered my question. Define many rounds.

Just place it in the forum. You really don't have to advertise it all to much...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 7:06:52 PM
At 6/10/2012 6:37:49 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Just place it in the forum. You really don't have to advertise it all to much...

Enough rounds to make the debate pointless. For instance perhaps 50% or higher.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 7:10:10 PM
At 6/10/2012 7:06:52 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Why should we sacrifice quality for your appeasement?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 7:11:56 PM
At 6/10/2012 7:10:10 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Who said anything about quality? There could be plenty of good debates where one round, by coincidence, was forfeited by both sides.

Btw how did you like my rap?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 7:15:49 PM
At 6/10/2012 7:11:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/10/2012 7:10:10 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Who said anything about quality? There could be plenty of good debates where one round, by coincidence, was forfeited by both sides.

Wouldn't the debate be better if no rounds were forfeited? I mean if you have two debates, both equally as serious, but, one has forfeited rounds, the other does not, shouldn't the site promote the one which does not have forfeited rounds over the one which has forfeited rounds? Doesn't placing debates with forfeits on the front page make many people look lazy?

Btw how did you like my rap?

If was fine...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 7:26:32 PM
At 6/10/2012 7:15:49 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Wouldn't the debate be better if no rounds were forfeited? I mean if you have two debates, both equally as serious, but, one has forfeited rounds, the other does not, shouldn't the site promote the one which does not have forfeited rounds over the one which has forfeited rounds? Doesn't placing debates with forfeits on the front page make many people look lazy?

As I said, there is room for both of them. If we are after your idea of quality, why not exclude debates where even one party forfeited a round?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:55:47 PM
At 6/10/2012 7:26:32 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/10/2012 7:15:49 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

As I said, there is room for both of them. If we are after your idea of quality, why not exclude debates where even one party forfeited a round?

So why not just add better quality instead of worse quality if there is enough room? and they already do. I believe if there was a forfeit, it cannot go on the front page.