Total Posts:91|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO Stock Trading $25M

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:07:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
DDO will be participating in a stock trading game. The 1st place user at the end of each month will receive verbal approbation, a gloating opportunity, and a genital massage.

I set up a game with practically total freedom of choice: indices, penny stocks, short selling, margin trading, limit orders, and stop losses.

Also, you will have $25,000,000. Have fun kiddos!

http://www.marketwatch.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:17:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just bought 25 mil of stocks into DDOo
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:25:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 2:18:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Joined :)

My orders don't go in :(
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:31:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 2:18:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Joined :)

You're cute. Thanks for joining! Warren Buffett went to Columbia for his graduate degree, because Benjamin Graham and David Dodd taught there.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:36:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 2:31:06 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/11/2012 2:18:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Joined :)

You're cute.
;p
Thanks for joining! Warren Buffett went to Columbia for his graduate degree, because Benjamin Graham and David Dodd taught there.

I know nothing about stock trading, so watch me fail miserably, lol.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:38:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 2:37:13 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
How much of a time committment is this?

Well, the competition lasts a few months, but your actual commitment should probably be about a few minutes per day. From what I've gathered, you pretty much just do real time trading whenever you feel like it. You could probably purchase stocks right now and never look back :p
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:41:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 2:25:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/11/2012 2:18:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Joined :)

My orders don't go in :(

With large orders, you need to allow for a delay in when you place your order and when you receive the holding. You can only buy a stock when someone sells his stock or the company issues more stock, so wait a little while, and the holding should come through.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:47:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 2:41:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/11/2012 2:25:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/11/2012 2:18:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Joined :)

My orders don't go in :(

With large orders, you need to allow for a delay in when you place your order and when you receive the holding. You can only buy a stock when someone sells his stock or the company issues more stock, so wait a little while, and the holding should come through.

The wall street atheist saves the day!!!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 2:54:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Let's try this.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 3:06:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My trades aren't going through...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 3:06:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ahh, an honest portrayal of capitalism. I'm in.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 3:18:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Join the actual stock markets as a trade account. So much better.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
caveat
Posts: 2,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 3:23:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
joined
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 3:55:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can someone please explain this to me? Sorry, I'm completely clueless about anything economics.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:08:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 3:55:36 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me? Sorry, I'm completely clueless about anything economics.

You buy stock and hope they make you money.

You start with $25M to invest. You use it how you want to invest in different stock options, then you wait.

The game is connected to the actual stock market. So if the Dow has a bad day, you'll lose money in the game. If you have Facebook stock and Facebook's actual stock grows 5% you'll make money.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:19:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 4:08:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/11/2012 3:55:36 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me? Sorry, I'm completely clueless about anything economics.

You buy stock and hope they make you money.

You start with $25M to invest. You use it how you want to invest in different stock options, then you wait.

The game is connected to the actual stock market. So if the Dow has a bad day, you'll lose money in the game. If you have Facebook stock and Facebook's actual stock grows 5% you'll make money.

1. What are my options?

2. When will we choose?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:21:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 3:18:17 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Join the actual stock markets as a trade account. So much better.

I do trade online using an etrade account, but you have to be 18 to do so in the US and UK. Furthermore, there would be no way to make it an equal competition between people on DDO, seeing as though there is no easily comparable system and we don't all have enough money to start to trade with, etc.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:29:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 4:19:38 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/11/2012 4:08:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/11/2012 3:55:36 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me? Sorry, I'm completely clueless about anything economics.

You buy stock and hope they make you money.

You start with $25M to invest. You use it how you want to invest in different stock options, then you wait.

The game is connected to the actual stock market. So if the Dow has a bad day, you'll lose money in the game. If you have Facebook stock and Facebook's actual stock grows 5% you'll make money.

1. What are my options?

Every US stock and index

2. When will we choose?

You can choose whenever you want. Do some reading, follow some trends, etc. But, you can only trade in this game during the normal hours from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm EST or for your time: 4:30pm to 11pm.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:30:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 3:06:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
My trades aren't going through...

Normal trading hours are 9:30 am to 4:00 pm EST. The game won't allow intra-day trading.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:51:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 3:06:40 PM, WriterDave wrote:
Ahh, an honest portrayal of capitalism. I'm in.

I wish it were. I want to be an investor in the future, and it would be much easier to use fundamental analysis investing techniques with a free-market capitalist economic system. Unfortunately, when examining cash flows, the shareholder gets 36% of distributed profits and the government gets 64%. Also, the Federal Reserve is a very active manipulator and inflator of stock values, especially in the financial services and real estate sectors. Furthermore, there is a regulatory agency that sets restrictions in the stock market such as: insider trading laws, thousands of pages of regulations, and registration requirements. So we have high taxes, high government manipulation, and high regulation, does this still sound like Capitalism to you?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 4:53:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 4:30:57 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/11/2012 3:06:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
My trades aren't going through...

Normal trading hours are 9:30 am to 4:00 pm EST. The game won't allow intra-day trading.

You can put an order in though, it'll go through when the market opens tomorrow.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 5:56:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can I say what I invested in? And just how much money should we invest in one thing? Is ten million too much?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 6:03:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 5:56:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Can I say what I invested in? And just how much money should we invest in one thing? Is ten million too much?

You can say. In fact I think we can look at your profile on the site and see for ourselves.

And it's all up to you.

Diverse is usually good thought when talking portfolios
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 6:06:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/11/2012 4:53:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/11/2012 4:30:57 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/11/2012 3:06:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
My trades aren't going through...

Normal trading hours are 9:30 am to 4:00 pm EST. The game won't allow intra-day trading.

You can put an order in though, it'll go through when the market opens tomorrow.

Check it in the morning if you do order tonight. I did that once and the order didn't go through.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.