Jump to topic:

An Update on the BIG Issues

UsafRevenged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 11:52:36 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Instead of George Bush, I believe Phil shoudl change it to Barack Obama. This wont cost any money, just an edit button click, some typing and boom. Done.
IM A 7!!!! HA! Take that society!

Unlike ccstateisback who happens to be a 1.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 12:06:42 PM
I've brought this up before.

We ought to keep bush, and just add another issue, "President Barack Obama".
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
UsafRevenged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 12:08:50 PM
It wouldnt take much would it? Also he could add more issues
IM A 7!!!! HA! Take that society!

Unlike ccstateisback who happens to be a 1.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 12:20:01 PM
At 8/17/2009 12:11:48 PM, Nags wrote:
Also- President Rutherford B. Hayes or President Chester A. Arthur would be cool.

Add TR and FDR too. Andrew Jackson would also be sweeettt.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 12:43:41 PM
President Polk all the way!
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 4:36:44 PM
I'm fairly sure most people don't know or care who any of those people are.

In an ideal world, you could have the US President, as well as another issue that changes depending on what you say your country is; ie., for Canada, "Prime Minister Harper" would be the issue, or for the UK, "Prime Minister Brown," "President McAleese" for Ireland, etc.

It would play well to the regional minorities DDO has. You could do something with US states as well, I'm sure.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 4:58:28 AM
At 8/17/2009 4:36:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'm fairly sure most people don't know or care who any of those people are.

In an ideal world, you could have the US President, as well as another issue that changes depending on what you say your country is; ie., for Canada, "Prime Minister Harper" would be the issue, or for the UK, "Prime Minister Brown," "Taoiseach Brain Cowen" for Ireland, etc.

It would play well to the regional minorities DDO has. You could do something with US states as well, I'm sure.

Fix'd. Me judging my president is like you judging your governor general.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 7:36:42 AM
The President of the United States, the border fence, PETA, et al are all important issues, but how about making the focus of The Big Issues a little more international so that it is more relevant to non-American members?

This is the WORLDWIDE web, after all!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 8:00:44 AM
At 8/18/2009 7:36:42 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The President of the United States, the border fence, PETA, et al are all important issues, but how about making the focus of The Big Issues a little more international so that it is more relevant to non-American members?

This is the WORLDWIDE web, after all!

Here's a quick translation:

PETA = Should we be allowed hunt foxes
Border Fence: Should we shell all dodgy ships approaching England
U.S. president = The monarch
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 11:03:12 AM
Why would any American (most of this site) want to judge the Prime Minister of the UK or Canada. I barely can remember their names, nevermind their party of any of that. Americans don't really care about other countries' politics.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 11:10:10 AM
At 8/18/2009 11:03:12 AM, Nags wrote:
Why would any American (most of this site) want to judge the Prime Minister of the UK or Canada. I barely can remember their names, nevermind their party of any of that. Americans don't really care about other countries' politics.

That is the point; Americans aren't judging the regional leaders. It would only show up as an option based on what you put your country as.

For Americans, you could have the US President as well as the State Governor, and then for non-Americans it would have the US President and whatever regional leader they have.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 11:19:51 AM
At 8/18/2009 11:03:12 AM, Nags wrote:

That is exactly the point that the international members are making from their perspective. There are issues that are only aimed at Americans - why would they care about such issues? There are other issues that are important to them that are not included.

As with most DDO-related website issues, this one would be easily solved by having a few (or even just one) site moderator with the ability to make some small changes such as that.
kukupser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 5:53:14 PM
Well how would you compare issues to other people if they are all different? I agree that the issues should appeal more to non-Americans, but I don't think it should change based on their location.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. - Kurt Vonnegut
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 6:19:49 PM
At 8/18/2009 5:53:14 PM, kukupser wrote:
Well how would you compare issues to other people if they are all different?

You wouldn't. It is strictly a regional thing; compare it with other people from the same country. I see no issue with it, because if you can change it so it is a location-based issue, then you can make it so whenever they aren't the same between to profiles, it shows up as "N/A".
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 8:16:18 PM
Demographics:
http://www.debate.org...

Canada: 3%
United Kingdom: 3%
-Less than 1% of that is active.

And then you want State Governors? That would be 50 extra items on the list? And if you're doing the PM of Canada or Prez of Ireland, then you would have to do every leader of every single country. Including the Prez of the Phillipines (4% of the site) or the PM of Belgium (0% of the site) and every other country that someone on DDO lives in. Ridiculous concept...

So, you want over 200 items on the list? No.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 8:22:42 PM
At 8/18/2009 8:16:18 PM, Nags wrote:
Demographics:
http://www.debate.org...

Canada: 3%
United Kingdom: 3%
-Less than 1% of that is active.

And then you want State Governors? That would be 50 extra items on the list? And if you're doing the PM of Canada or Prez of Ireland, then you would have to do every leader of every single country. Including the Prez of the Phillipines (4% of the site) or the PM of Belgium (0% of the site) and every other country that someone on DDO lives in. Ridiculous concept...

You don't have to do it for every single nation, just the ones with the largest minorities, ie., Canada, UK, Phillipines, etc. No need for Belgium if there isn't a big enough minority. India would be an excellent one.

So, you want over 200 items on the list? No.

Yes, I do, but maybe you're missing the idea here.

They won't be on the list just like that; they will only appear on the list depending upon the choices made when you choose your location. If you don't choose to be in Belgium, then you're not going to have the option of the Belgian PM on the list. You'll have Barack Obama and Deval Patrick, since you're American and you live in Mass.

It is a good idea to me, because it plays to the regional issues inherent to the members of this website. I see no issue wrong with it; only benefit.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 8:31:36 PM
There are 13,399 members on this site. 3% are from Canada. That is 402 people. No one else cares about the Canadian PM, most people don't know the Canadian's PM name, nevermind caring about other peoples' opinion on him. And then Ireland, India, and the Phillipines..? Most people couldn't recognize those countries on a map.

And if you're gunna do Canada and Ireland (3%), you have to do every other country. What's the difference between 0% and 3%? Oh yeah.. 3%. Which is miniscule. 'Tis a waste of time, money, and space in my opinion. Could go towards much better things.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 8:52:24 PM
At 8/18/2009 8:31:36 PM, Nags wrote:
There are 13,399 members on this site. 3% are from Canada. That is 402 people. No one else cares about the Canadian PM, most people don't know the Canadian's PM name, nevermind caring about other peoples' opinion on him. And then Ireland, India, and the Phillipines..? Most people couldn't recognize those countries on a map.

See, it is exactly this kind of disregard for minorities, and the ignorance of demographics and sales, that irks me.

So what if it is a small amount? This website can barely hold the American visitors that come here, let alone contributors from other countries; what is the harm in trying initiatives that could get more people to come to this website? Honestly, we need the updates anyways, because the retaining rate of this website is horrid. We need any and all ideas, not naysayers. I at least offer suggestions from my viewpoint as an active, contributing minority member of this website that can help increase the visibility of this place and maybe, just maybe, retain some interesting voices.

And if you're gunna do Canada and Ireland (3%), you have to do every other country. What's the difference between 0% and 3%? Oh yeah.. 3%. Which is miniscule. 'Tis a waste of time, money, and space in my opinion.

Time, money, and space? This wouldn't even rank among the top 1 billion time, money and space wasting efforts in the world. I'd gladly donate the time, and I would also gladly donate money to help, and if "space" is needed for this, I'll even donate the 100KB it will take to make the effort.

Could go towards much better things.

Like?
kukupser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 2:26:12 AM
At 8/18/2009 6:19:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/18/2009 5:53:14 PM, kukupser wrote:
Well how would you compare issues to other people if they are all different?

You wouldn't. It is strictly a regional thing; compare it with other people from the same country. I see no issue with it, because if you can change it so it is a location-based issue, then you can make it so whenever they aren't the same between to profiles, it shows up as "N/A".

Yea, there isn't enough members from Canada, UK and other countries to compare with. Out of the 402 Canadians on the site, how many are regular users?
I think they should at least change the parties based on nationality. If you were from Canada, the parties posted would be the Conservative party, the Liberals, NDP, Bloc, etc.
kukupser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 2:33:05 AM
At 8/18/2009 8:31:36 PM, Nags wrote:

And if you're gunna do Canada and Ireland (3%), you have to do every other country. What's the difference between 0% and 3%? Oh yeah.. 3%. Which is miniscule. 'Tis a waste of time, money, and space in my opinion. Could go towards much better things.

I'm sure the Canadians, Irish, Indians and the Filipinos care about the issues in their country. I think the issues should be changed too, but not to the point where it becomes so specific it renders the issues section useless.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 4:22:54 AM
For those of you who are missing the concept, the governor/president only pears if you are from that said country.
kukupser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 11:43:21 AM
I know, I'm saying that that would be OK for the states, because 73% of the users on this site are American. Doing that worldwide wouldn't work, I don't think. If your issues are tailored specifically to your country and region of your country, how many other people can you compare issues with? Hmm... I guess you could still compare global issues with friends like globabl warming, abortion and the death penalty. But how many issues would change? Just like one or two things or half of the issues list?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 12:03:33 PM
This is, so far, only including the one issue change. I understand that too much specificity will make the issues section pointless, but this one issue does not hurt.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 3:27:38 PM
At 8/19/2009 12:03:33 PM, Volkov wrote:
This is, so far, only including the one issue change. I understand that too much specificity will make the issues section pointless, but this one issue does not hurt.

But we can't go down that slippery slope. ;)
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 4:58:40 PM
At 8/19/2009 3:27:38 PM, Chuckles wrote:
But we can't go down that slippery slope. ;)

Sure we can. It would be worth it.
kukupser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 7:14:24 PM
Ah, yea that's ok then. I was under the assumptiion that you meant it was crazy specific and would basically be a different issues box for pretty much every person.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 5:14:41 AM
I think that the question for Bush should remain for everyone, and so should the current US president.

That is because as the US president is not purely a US domestic issue. The American President is the closest thing we have to a single world ruler.

In any case 'everyone' knows in crude terms about American politics.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 8:03:29 AM
It should be the U.S. president, and then be the Prime Minister [President] for other countries. The U.S. president is like the world's president.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 6:01:04 PM
At 8/22/2009 8:03:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It should be the U.S. president, and then be the Prime Minister [President] for other countries. The U.S. president is like the world's president.

Agreed. It wouldn't be hard to tailor that based on the locations you choose.

Just so we're all clear, I'm against Darth Harper: http://www.debate.org...