Jump to topic:

DDO masquerade.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 11:28:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For those of you who haven't heard of it, basically Kleptin had an idea in which we would all would be given a new ideology and have to pretend to support it. I found it to be a great idea, but he said that there were twenty openings and only ten people have signed up so far. Kleptin has been gone for a while, so I thought we should just go ahead now.

What do you say? Just pretend to be the opposite of what you are (or make something up you find amusing) and make threads and debate about it! Here's the original thread: [http://www.debate.org...]
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 12:13:38 AM
I can understand taking a "Devil's Advocate" role, but I simply refuse to go against my personal beliefs. XD

In all seriousness, though, I find to be an interesting idea.
I'd join if I am still able to... >.<
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 12:39:10 AM
How long does it stay, and when does it begin?

I'll sign up.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:26:08 AM
At 6/13/2012 1:20:38 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Sure, I'm in.

I'll be a commie. A stinkin' commie.

Welcome to the party pal!!! Glad to see you here.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 7:01:19 AM
The masquerade officially begins now and lasts for a week (till next Wednesday [June 20]). All you have to do is make a debate that goes against your deeply-held beliefs.

In the first round just state something like "This is for the masquerade ball." One of the requirements for accepting will be that the Contender must ALSO be Devil's advocating. If you want to do it on the forums, just make a thread (or harass other threads).

Have fun, my lovelies!
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 9:28:53 AM
At 6/13/2012 1:26:08 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Sure, I'm in.

Welcome to the party pal!!! Glad to see you here.

your a capitalist so stfu
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 12:03:38 PM
At 6/13/2012 7:01:19 AM, MouthWash wrote:
The masquerade officially begins now and lasts for a week (till next Wednesday [June 20]). All you have to do is make a debate that goes against your deeply-held beliefs.

In the first round just state something like "This is for the masquerade ball." One of the requirements for accepting will be that the Contender must ALSO be Devil's advocating. If you want to do it on the forums, just make a thread (or harass other threads).

Have fun, my lovelies!

Okay then, I bumped up this thread.

Romney 2012
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 12:23:15 PM
At 6/13/2012 12:22:35 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
I guess I'll be a conservative. A damn tea party conservative.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 12:25:48 PM
At 6/13/2012 12:23:15 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/13/2012 12:22:35 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
I guess I'll be a conservative. A damn tea party conservative.

I might as well update my avatar to Sarah Palin.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 12:44:23 PM
Sure, I'm in.

Signed up. I'll be a nutzie.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:23:00 PM
Leeeet's go: [http://www.debate.org...]

I am officially a marriage hating, anti-intellectual filthy commie. Shoot me before I breed.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:23:49 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:23:00 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I am officially a marriage hating, anti-intellectual filthy commie. Shoot me before I breed.

FUUUU COMMIE COMMIES ARE EVIL SCUM!!!!! MERICA MERICA GOD BLESS MERICA!!!
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:25:10 PM
I'll try it out. Marxism FTW.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:28:20 PM

Communists are marriage hating and anti-intellectuals? LOL

I don't think you know much about Communists. Most Marxists tend to be academics, and Communists also believe that monogamy is natural (even if we do dislike the historical institution of marriage, which treats women as mere chattel).

Look up Engels' seminal work "On the Origin of the Family".
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:29:47 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:28:20 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I don't think you know much about Communists. Most Marxists tend to be academics, and Communists also believe that monogamy is natural (even if we do dislike the historical institution of marriage, which treats women as mere chattel).

Stop arguing and sign-up~
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:30:12 PM

Commies are all freedom haters that want to take away my guns.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:33:24 PM

Not the communists themselves, the people they oppre -love and want to keep safe from the terrifying information perpetuated by the capitalists.

Not all traditional marriage institutions treat women badly, by my own experience. Believing that the sexes have to have equal functionality or else there is oppression is an incredible fallacy.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:37:17 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:33:24 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Not the communists themselves, the people they oppre -love and want to keep safe from the terrifying information perpetuated by the capitalists.

LOL, what? Communists and Leftists tend to promote freedom of information. The conservatives are the ones who generally are against the dispersion of information.
Not all traditional marriage institutions treat women badly, by my own experience.
Almost all heterosexual unions emerged with the idea of suppressing women and making them inferior. There were a few matriarchal tribes that did not do this, and matriarchy and/or equality was more prominent in the Bronze Age, but most modern forms of traditional marriage originated with the idea of suppressing women.
Believing that the sexes have to have equal functionality or else there is oppression is an incredible fallacy.

How is it a fallacy? I don't understand why you feel that you are entitled to be superior just because you have testicles.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:40:08 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:37:17 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL, what? Communists and Leftists tend to promote freedom of information. The conservatives are the ones who generally are against the dispersion of information.
Not all traditional marriage institutions treat women badly, by my own experience.
Almost all heterosexual unions emerged with the idea of suppressing women and making them inferior. There were a few matriarchal tribes that did not do this, and matriarchy and/or equality was more prominent in the Bronze Age, but most modern forms of traditional marriage originated with the idea of suppressing women.
Believing that the sexes have to have equal functionality or else there is oppression is an incredible fallacy.

How is it a fallacy? I don't understand why you feel that you are entitled to be superior just because you have testicles.

We could argue this forever. Sign up, and we could do it the other way round. :)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:45:02 PM
" We could do it the other way round. :)"
Thats what... she said? Oh god...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:47:15 PM
Failing to judge people on their individual merits and classifying them into groups before judging them is oppression.

You are a Jew, MouthWash, correct? Suppose Jews in general are not good at Job X and you want to do Job X. Despite the fact that you might be talented in that area, despite the fact that you may outperform others in the area, etc., you are a Jew and everyone knows that Jews can't do Job X. And hey, who cares if there is some racial and religious discrimination? Just because there is not absolute racial equality does not mean we are acting in an unjust manner.

After all, you're not an individual. You're a Jew.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:58:24 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:47:15 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Failing to judge people on their individual merits and classifying them into groups before judging them is oppression.

You are a Jew, MouthWash, correct? Suppose Jews in general are not good at Job X and you want to do Job X. Despite the fact that you might be talented in that area, despite the fact that you may outperform others in the area, etc., you are a Jew and everyone knows that Jews can't do Job X. And hey, who cares if there is some racial and religious discrimination? Just because there is not absolute racial equality does not mean we are acting in an unjust manner.

I find the last statement to be baseless and derived from emotion. I can say I would ineligible to taste pork or work on the Sabbath due to my being Jewish. And the so-called "judgement" you speak of is exaggerated. I have seen happy people who have not been forced to do many 'degrading' things that they wouldn't like. Women are not equal to men in functionality. Do we treat cats like dogs to make it "balanced?" No. Yet neither are considered objectively "superior" to the other, and there having been no claims made of oppression.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:03:01 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:58:24 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/13/2012 3:47:15 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I find the last statement to be baseless and derived from emotion. I can say I would ineligible to taste pork or work on the Sabbath due to my being Jewish. And the so-called "judgement" you speak of is exaggerated. I have seen happy people who have not been forced to do many 'degrading' things that they wouldn't like. Women are not equal to men in functionality. Do we treat cats like dogs to make it "balanced?" No. Yet neither are considered objectively "superior" to the other, and there having been no claims made of oppression.

You cannot categorically claim that women are inferior to men and thus should be barred from doing x, y, and z. People are individuals and should be judged on merits regardless of their reproductive organs.

There are also racial differences. Jews in general are horrible leaders, for example, because they definitely do not relate to people of other races. That doesn't mean I should automatically reject someone who is running for president just because he is a Jew. I should judge him on his merits. That's all that Feminists are asking for.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:06:44 PM
By the way, women are not less intelligent or capable than men. Don't believe me? Your country has nuclear weapons because of woman discovered nuclear fission (Lise Meitner). Look her up.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:07:31 PM
At 6/13/2012 4:06:44 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
By the way, women are not less intelligent or capable than men. Don't believe me? Your country has nuclear weapons because a woman discovered nuclear fission (Lise Meitner). Look her up.

In fact, I think any men who want to categorically prevent women from doing things are afraid of them.

If they weren't, they would be confident they could beat them.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:07:37 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:37:17 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Many leftist universities try to shut down right-wing views. For example, affirmative action bake sales have been banned from universities. I believe at my own university, the URI republicans set up a pro-life poster that showed aborted fetus. They had to take it down because other people were too "disturbed" by it. Well that's kind of the point. I remember many leftist on DDO were saying that jimtimmy's views should not have been tolerated and i believe a few wanted his speech banned for his views on race.

Why does the origin matter? Your against the Republican party I presume, but they were the party that freed the slaved.

It's not superiority. It's just that people are different. You can't really define absolute superiority since its so subjective. You can look to certain aspects of superiority (ex: Yes more males are in politics or there are more women elementary school teachers) but that doesn't imply absolute superiority.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...