Jump to topic:

Is debate more challenging than mafia?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:55:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The post about voting based on whether the debaters persuaded the judges got me thinking about this. Good voters often vote for debaters they disagree with if the debater provides a better argument. All a debater has to do is make a superior argument, not necessarily sway the voter to their side.

In mafia on the other hand, a player about to be lynched for instance will have to make exceedingly good arguments and sway the opinions of the other players to not lynch him/her. Persuation is far more important than giving good arguments - you also have to give the right arguments and make the other players think that you are not mafia, or if they already think that you are mafia, make them change their mind.

So, overall is playing mafia more challenging that formally debating on DDO?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:56:23 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:55:23 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The post about voting based on whether the debaters persuaded the judges got me thinking about this. Good voters often vote for debaters they disagree with if the debater provides a better argument. All a debater has to do is make a superior argument, not necessarily sway the voter to their side.

In mafia on the other hand, a player about to be lynched for instance will have to make exceedingly good arguments and sway the opinions of the other players to not lynch him/her. Persuation is far more important than giving good arguments - you also have to give the right arguments and make the other players think that you are not mafia, or if they already think that you are mafia, make them change their mind.

Yes. I can make good arguments, but I am horrible at persuading people to do things.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:56:30 PM
At 6/13/2012 3:55:23 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Yes. It's like a quick fire debate for your life.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:56:30 PM
I played Mafia once and I don't understand it at all. I think formal debates are MUCH more enjoyably IMHO and less challenging.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 5:09:03 PM
Mafia: spamming endlessly and making stuff up, and coming up with tactics to decieve people into your way of thinking.

Debating: spamming endlessly and making stuff up, and coming up with tactics to decieve people into your way of thinking.

DDO Debating: spamming endlessly and making stuff up, and coming up with tactics to decieve people into your way of thinking, except this time you believe you're right.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 5:46:28 PM
At 6/13/2012 5:09:03 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Mafia: spamming endlessly and making stuff up, and coming up with tactics to decieve people into your way of thinking.

Debating: spamming endlessly and making stuff up, and coming up with tactics to decieve people into your way of thinking.

DDO Debating: spamming endlessly and making stuff up, and coming up with tactics to decieve people into your way of thinking, except this time you believe you're right.

That sounds about right.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.