Jump to topic:

Voting

ZT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 6:59:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong, (I'm fairly new to debate.org), but it seems like someone actually gets points when a judge agreed with them before a debate. This seems completely unfair: If I agree with person X's position before the debate, but person Y's after, then both would get a point. Yet person Y did all the work of actually convincing me. This should be changed to a system where points are given by comparing the "before" opinion to the "after" opinion, and until that happens, judges should leave the "before" opinion as "neutral" to have a more fair debate.

Any thoughts?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 7:07:41 PM
Nope. You're wrong.

Who did you agree with before the debate? - 0 points
Who did you agree with after the debate? - 0 points
Who had better conduct? - 1 point
Who had better spelling and grammar? - 1 point
Who made more convincing arguments? - 3 points
Who used the most reliable sources? - 2 points
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 5:19:57 AM
At 8/17/2009 7:07:41 PM, Nags wrote:
Nope. You're wrong.

Oh good!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
ZT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 8:39:50 AM
At 8/17/2009 7:07:41 PM, Nags wrote:
Nope. You're wrong.

Thanks for the correction.
Artifice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 3:28:33 PM
What is the rationale in not having points registered for the 'agree with before/agree with after' ?

I am also curious how a point system weighted in favour of 'senior' debaters and 'proficient' debaters, might pan out...
Imagine having votes coming from a senior, proficient debater actually being of more value than a newbie voter with little to no debate experience and little to no won debates? I think a tiered voting system like this might actually encourage some to take debating more seriously and try to improve so their votes actually have slightly higher values than most others.
ccstateisback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 5:53:42 PM
At 8/19/2009 3:28:33 PM, Artifice wrote:
What is the rationale in not having points registered for the 'agree with before/agree with after' ?

I am also curious how a point system weighted in favour of 'senior' debaters and 'proficient' debaters, might pan out...
Imagine having votes coming from a senior, proficient debater actually being of more value than a newbie voter with little to no debate experience and little to no won debates? I think a tiered voting system like this might actually encourage some to take debating more seriously and try to improve so their votes actually have slightly higher values than most others.

You could end up with a voting bloc of senior members. Not good.
studentathletechristian8 - Congrats- you may have your first online girlfriend!

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it was really a 45 year old guy friend.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 6:53:19 PM
You could end up with a voting bloc of senior members. Not good.

Plus the fact that being a long-term member does not mean you are any more smarter or empowered than new members. Even if we believe smarter or "better" debaters should have a heavier vote, there needs to be a LOT of thought into what determines this, and I doubt it will pass with no controversy or protest.
rougeagent21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 8:50:56 PM
Just because I agree with a certain stance does not mean that the debater arguing my stance did the best job. He/she might have had poor spelling, arguments, sources, or all of the above. It only gives greater merit to the person that you gave points to if you did not agree with them. They are correct though, no points are awarded for who you agree with.
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." -Gen. Patton