Jump to topic:

Farewell Address

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 3:57:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not leaving, just leaving as president.

I want to thank the community for giving me the opportunity to be president for the last year. I'd like to think that I left the site better than how I'd come to the position, and hope that Airmax and future presidents continue to build relevance to the position.

There have been a lot of interesting events that have come to pass during my stay; from becoming mod, to the Izbo trial, I have felt great connection to the members here. I am particularly grateful to all those to whom I would ask for advice and perspective. My inner circle wasn't an elite, but rather a sampling of the site to whom I would bounce issues and ideas off, so that my decision making wasn't a unilateral effort.

I have been humbled by the amount of respect shown to me, and the level of assistance offered.

This site has the history and potential of being a place for intellectual discourse and learning, and I hope that this tradition will be a strong component of our culture here.

To those who feel the position is a nothing job, or those who wish to attain the position as an ego feeding exercise, it very well can be just that; it's entirely up to those who vote, and those who run for the position. I'd like to think that neither applies to the year that I spent as president. I also feel confident that Airmax understands that for this position to be relevant and functional, it needs to be accepted as a service job; service to the community and service to Juggle.

Early on I decided that this position should not be held for more than 2 terms, for a variety of reasons. It is important that a fresh look at what can be done with the position be applied from time to time, and there is a certain comfort that is unhealthy in continuing as president without limit. In this I hope all future presidents will take this advice and not remain beyond 2 years. I also hope that future presidents will work to add relevance to the position, but with the help of a diverse group of supporters and contributors. Do not be afraid to ask the opinion of someone that you usually disagree with; do not surround yourself by those who always agree and support you - know the value in a plurality of opinion.

So I thank all of you for the confidence you have had in me, and the trust you have given me over the past year. I'd like to thank certain people individually, but the list is long and I would be likely to miss someone.

So in this I bid you adieu.

citizen innomen.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 5:04:18 AM
Well said, thank you for your service. I also see DDO as an engine for learning; I'm often baffled by how articulate other members are, and how well they present their arguments. Every time I read these forums I get the urge to better myself, and that is something special. I can only hope that the quality of discourse and the quantity of ideas and perspectives is sustained under Airmax's term as president.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 6:05:44 AM
At 6/15/2012 3:57:10 AM, innomen wrote:
This site has the history and potential of being a place for intellectual discourse and learning.

YYW would disagree with you on that.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 4:30:37 PM
Thank you Inno for your service to the members of this site. You have left it better than you found it. I know it was, at times, a very time consuming job, and the respect you've earned is well deserved. Thank you.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 4:49:20 PM
I will be concise: thank you for allowing this site to maintain, in some parts, its intellectual air and for your service to the site and its workings.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 4:50:33 PM
At 6/15/2012 4:30:37 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Thank you Inno for your service to the members of this site. You have left it better than you found it. I know it was, at times, a very time consuming job, and the respect you've earned is well deserved. Thank you.

Thanks Medic, that means a lot coming from you.

Also I feel like I wrote all that in vain.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 5:01:02 PM
At 6/15/2012 4:50:33 PM, innomen wrote:
At 6/15/2012 4:30:37 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Thanks Medic, that means a lot coming from you.

Also I feel like I wrote all that in vain.

Sorry innomen. I haven't been on DDO long enough or consistently enough to know really anything much about what you have done, but I'm sure it deserves our gratitude :)

I do know forum moderation though. I respect anyone who has to deal with that.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 5:11:56 PM
Well, I think that you should still be president due to your great job so far, but I respect your wish to step down. Thanks for contributing to the site while being president :)
Viper-King
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 5:30:26 PM
Innomen, you're the best president we've ever had. You changed DDO from some debate website that was virtually unknown to one of the top three debate websites out of all of them. YOu've changed a flame war site to a trulyspecial website which i feel im honored to be able to invest my time in and serve it.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 7:28:54 PM
You are a good guy Mr.Innomen and I wish you luck in all your endeavors.

Adieu
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 7:56:46 PM
I have not been here that long and Innoman accused me of having multiple accounts. Which is and was false(my GF's account.) But anyway I understand the concern and would not want multiple accounts either. So that is forgiven and forgotten. I think you are surely doing a good job as president since I have been here. And I like this site and feel this not only a good place for learning but expressing too. Thanks for your work!
TheAsylum
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 8:07:21 PM
You where a great president :)

JT,(assuming you scan the forums offline) that's one of the reasons I left your campaign, he was not "ineffective".

Thanks for your effort and accomplishments to the site innomen!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 8:31:03 PM
Referring to the Izbo trial, eh? God... I'm glad I can say I was there when the trial happened.

Hmm... Pity that you're no longer president... Ah, well. I suppose that will allow you to post more often, due to you no longer having presidential duties. Oh, and you should never have any doubts that you were not adequate as DDO president. As The Doctor would say, "You were fantastic."

You were an excellent president. Not that I know if you were/will be the best, since I haven't been here nearly as long as some others... You never reacted badly when I sent some really... stupid requests via PM. I never did agree with you on the "One round not being a debate thing." Ah, well... I shouldn't be rambling so much...

*Lifts his glass in saluate to Innomen*

~Kage
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 8:33:06 PM
Even though the Presidency doesn't equate to being the mod and the good stuff you did was really based on your mod powers, thanks for using your mod powers for the good of the site (mostly ;)). Will you be retaining your mod powers?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 4:51:13 PM
At 6/16/2012 4:10:10 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Perfect plan. Pretending to give up power. Perfectly orchestrated.

Thanks for all your kind words, it means a lot.

@ FREEDO the plan is in play.