Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

OH, YOU WaNT ME TO VOTE FOR YOUR DEBATE?

tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 2:04:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://25.media.tumblr.com...

No.

And here's why:

By specifically asking me to vote for your debate, you're causing a chain of events which inevitably makes me look like either an unfair voter or a jerk. Most people who ask me are people who I agree with on the relevant topic. I mean, you wouldn't ask someone to vote on your debate if you didn't think they'd vote for you, right? I know I wouldn't. So straight away, we're conspiring.

Now, say I go and read your debate and I feel you've won easily or barely, or whatever. If I vote for you after you asked me to vote on your debate, it's not a very credible vote... Is it? I don't think so, so I won't do it.
Lets say alternatively, that I think your opponent won. If I vote against you I'm gonna feel like a jerk. So I won't do it.
If you're clearly the winner (like you got trolled, forfeited against or were up against derp) that's different, but we have threads for those sorts of things so you don't need to ask me.

TL;DR: From now on, if you ask me to vote for your debate, I will give my opinion, say who I felt won BUT won't give points to either side because you asked me to do it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 2:07:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, ok, don't get your panties in a twist. I didn't know you were spoken for.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 2:10:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Your definition of conspiring is a bit loose. Most people aren't overtly looking for someone to vote for them necessarily. I know when I ask people to vote it's because no one has voted and anything is better then nothing as anyone who has spent a lot of time on a debate can attest to. If you think they legitimately won then give a thorough RFD to prevent suspicion that you're biased and if you legitimately think they lost then go ahead and vote against them. If they get pissed it's just proof they only asked you to vote to vote for them in the first place. Win-win.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 2:37:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've asked people to vote in my debates on rare occasions, admittedly when I was losing mostly because of a dummy vote. In those cases I will make it very clear that my only interest is a fair vote with a thoughtful RFD. My main concern is that if I am going to lose then I at least want it decided by someone who understands what was going on.

I also get pm's asking me to vote as well (my last one was 5 hours ago), usually with little to no commentary. I vote against them all the time. I have no concern for who the debaters are when judging a debate and couldn't care less who thinks I'm a jerk. I just give the fairest vote I can and let everyone else worry about it. Sometimes it seems to come back at you when they vote against you, but then again sometime people seem to vote for you a lot so it balances itself out as far as I am concerned.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 8:10:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
By that logic, Romney and Obama should not ask people to vote, on the grounds that they are most likely to attract people who agree with them, and that could lead to a terrible chain of events in which the most popular position on the issues wins.

There are many debates on DDO on trivial topics, or on serious topics but by inexperienced debaters who never get it off the launching pad, or by noob snipers, or by experienced debaters who love spending five rounds on what the meaning of "is" is, or are recreating one of the countless debates on gay marriage or abortion. When a good debate happens, I want to hear about it. In a debate with a lot effort spent, both sides will try to stir up interest. That's appropriate.

I also think we should spent some time helping new debaters improve, and that happens by providing critiques on some less-than-perfect debates. I respond to most requests to vote, from anybody.
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 10:33:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I respect your opinion, TV, however, don't neccesarily agree with it.

I personally and won of those guys who likes to do a lot of advertising on my debates. TBH it works. I don't care if I am voted for or against, and a lot of times people will vote against me when I advertise to them, just as long as the debate get's traffic. At least I will know people are actually reading what I spent time creating.

Nothing wrong with posting on others profiles, or in messages, etc. If you feel you are a jerk for voting against that person, than that is just a social obstacle you will have to overcome. I have voted against, and been voted against friends on this site plenty of time. A vote is simply you expressing your opinion about how good or bad you feel they did in a debate. Nothing more nothing less. Unless you vote bombed, the other person has no reason to be offended by you voting the other way.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 10:59:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/19/2012 8:10:30 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
By that logic, Romney and Obama should not ask people to vote, on the grounds that they are most likely to attract people who agree with them, and that could lead to a terrible chain of events in which the most popular position on the issues wins.

I think the difference is vote and vote for them, but...yeah...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 9:48:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I quit voting because I want all points to go to the winner the way it used to be. If I do this now I am immediately accused of vote bombing and endless sniveling whining. Ain't worth the trouble. I prefer the forums, people say what they really mean. They don't take the time to think about what they say. They just knee jerk respond and it gives me much better insight to the personalities on this site and their true positions.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 10:07:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/19/2012 9:48:57 PM, sadolite wrote:
I quit voting because I want all points to go to the winner the way it used to be. If I do this now I am immediately accused of vote bombing and endless sniveling whining. Ain't worth the trouble. I prefer the forums, people say what they really mean. They don't take the time to think about what they say. They just knee jerk respond and it gives me much better insight to the personalities on this site and their true positions.

It's also easier to attack and defend against a knee jerk action, rather than a well thought-out and developed argument, isn't it?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 12:41:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I often ask people to vote on my debate if no one has voted yet. What I expect is a good RFD and a discussion of the debate material that I worked hard on. I think however that when someone requests a vote, common courtesy dictates that sooner or later you vote on their debates (I often do, although I am guilty of putting off the voting for later).

I often get requests to vote on debates. I usually just give a fair vote since that is usually all they are looking for. If not, you know whose vote requests you should ignore in the future.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 12:52:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Argh, now I feel completely unreasonable. Still, I always feel dirty when people ask me to vote on their debates, UNLESS it is a subject I'm familiar with (Like Maikaru asking me to vote on his Hulk VERSUS Superman debate).

When it's obvious they just spammed a bunch of people, it's irritating. Dunno, probably just being silly.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 12:57:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/20/2012 12:52:21 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Argh, now I feel completely unreasonable. Still, I always feel dirty when people ask me to vote on their debates, UNLESS it is a subject I'm familiar with (Like Maikaru asking me to vote on his Hulk VERSUS Superman debate).

When it's obvious they just spammed a bunch of people, it's irritating. Dunno, probably just being silly.

I agree.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush