Jump to topic:

ELO Ranking v. Normal Ranking

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 12:55:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
11 on ELO 24 on normal ranking. I don't think I deserve the ELO rank though, I saw many people below me who could whoop my intellectual @ss. I suppose its just the troll and noob sniping paying off :P
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 12:57:58 PM
At 6/22/2012 12:55:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
11 on ELO 24 on normal ranking. I don't think I deserve the ELO rank though, I saw many people below me who could whoop my intellectual @ss. I suppose its just the troll and noob sniping paying off :P

ELO takes into account whom you debate with though :)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:00:51 PM

Imabench is ahead of you there. He's second on the leaderboard. Though I really don't that's fair to the people he passed by doing troll debates. If he overtakes Danielle, then that would be pretty bad
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:10:40 PM
At 6/22/2012 1:04:38 PM, CiRrK wrote:
20th on ELO...47th on regular.

Perfect example of my previous post
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:16:40 PM

Ranking takes into account the amount of time investing in debating as well, though. The greatest debater in the world wouldn't exactly deserve a high rank on the site if all she did was snipe two n00bs once and then leave.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:18:34 PM
At 6/22/2012 1:16:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Ranking takes into account the amount of time investing in debating as well, though. The greatest debater in the world wouldn't exactly deserve a high rank on the site if all she did was snipe two n00bs once and then leave.

I know, I know. And ELO is a lot better than the current system. But for example I'm ranked higher than you, and if we debated (don't be modest, its true) it would be almost a forgone conclusion that you would win. Of course no ranking system is perfect
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:21:29 PM
Obviously ELO is not perfect, but it's up to the debater to challenge himself or herself and participate in a wide variety of debates with people with high skill levels. Rankings don't take into account skill unless someone actively participates.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:21:49 PM
At 6/22/2012 1:20:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Hey, don't be ripping on my ELO baby!!!

I'm not, its great!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:23:31 PM
At 6/22/2012 1:18:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/22/2012 1:16:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:

I know, I know. And ELO is a lot better than the current system. But for example I'm ranked higher than you, and if we debated (don't be modest, its true) it would be almost a forgone conclusion that you would win. Of course no ranking system is perfect

It would be interesting to debate whether an objective rating system could be created or whether any rating system is subjective.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:28:37 PM
ELO favors those that debate good debaters but I've recently realized that good debaters doesn't necessarily equate to good debates. For instance I debated Danielle on mafia strategies and Lickdafoot on sexy music videos none of which count as a good debate. My loss probably didn't mean much and the win over LDF probably boosted my ELO score despite requiring 0 effort. I guess I need to start debating seriously again.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 1:32:27 PM
At 6/22/2012 1:18:34 PM, thett3 wrote:

Heh, you overestimate my power. Looking back at some of your debates (e.g. http://www.debate.org...) they look better than anything I've done. We should definitely spar over something sometime though.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 2:10:35 PM
At 6/22/2012 1:28:37 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
ELO favors those that debate good debaters but I've recently realized that good debaters doesn't necessarily equate to good debates. For instance I debated Danielle on mafia strategies and Lickdafoot on sexy music videos none of which count as a good debate. My loss probably didn't mean much and the win over LDF probably boosted my ELO score despite requiring 0 effort. I guess I need to start debating seriously again.

There should be a three, four or five level ELO! That keeps adjusting!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 2:14:22 PM
39 on ELO, 55 regular

Not that either ranking is an accurate display of intelligence or debating skill. There are many people below me who are better at debating than I.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 2:41:08 PM
At 6/22/2012 2:38:01 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 6/22/2012 1:11:46 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Where do you find out ELO?

http://www.debate.org...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 3:18:00 PM
67th on ELO, 13th on the Leaderboard (would be 11th whenever it's updated).
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:52:34 PM
3rd on the leaderboard, first on Elo. So of course I love Elo.

I think Elo is a lot better than the leaderboard, but it's not perfect. Some of the high Elo scores are a result of heavy noob sniping. I'm challenged by new members occasionally, and if I know the subject I usually accept. It doesn't seem right to turn somebody down if they think they will get something out of it. And yes, I have lost to noobs. It happens.

I've also had problems with high ranked debaters refusing to debate. That's led to using the first round for acceptance technique, so they can't run when they see the opening argument. I've come to like tournaments, because they end to have the good debaters.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 8:21:33 PM
8th on Leaderboard, 52nd on ELO. While that gap certainly shouldn't be eliminated, it also shouldn't be that large, but I guess that's what vote-bombing does to me. It punishes me much more in ELO than Leaderboard.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 8:54:51 PM
77th ELO

69th regular

I guess I am the only one who does better on the regular system, though I never do troll debates.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:14:01 PM
At 6/24/2012 8:54:51 PM, Contra wrote:
77th ELO

69th regular

I guess I am the only one who does better on the regular system, though I never do troll debates.

I'm 67th on ELO and 11th on the Leaderboard.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.