Jump to topic:

Petition to update the text editor

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 5:18:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The text editor on DDO is one of the worst I have seen on any website. I make this petition for those that agree with me and want it to be updated. Here are my suggestions. Feel free to add yours.

1. Text alignment - Allow us to align only certain parts of our text without aligning the entire argument. This happens a LOT to me.
2. Default font/size - Change the default font to Times New Roman and the default size to 12
3. Videos - Allow us to post videos anywhere we want in the argument instead of having it align to the right automatically.
4. Images - Allow us to insert image via URL or by uploading it in the text editor instead of having to go the long way by uploading it to our photos and copying the image location and pasting it.
5. Quotations - Allow us to better make us of the indent portion of the text editor. Whenever I use the align on the rich text, it always aligns the ENTIRE argument and not the highlighted part that I want selected.
6. References - Don't count references as part of the character limit.
7. Character limit - Increase the character limit from 8k words to 10k words, or at least add an option for 10k words at minimum.
8. Horizontal line - Put a button to add a horizontal line in the text.

These are my suggestions.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 5:22:02 PM
9. Links - Allow us to post texts as links using the HTML codes Text here
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 5:27:01 PM
those are important, but I think we should be patient with juggle. After all they've done in the past few weeks it seems a little ungrateful to immediately start petitioning for something new.

On a sidenote, it's funny how they start caring about DDO once Innomen leaves office...but it's probably because of him that they care in the first place
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2012 10:30:32 AM
At 6/22/2012 5:25:31 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Whats the point of 2 and 8? They seem unnecessary.

2 because I like a more professional font and 8 because I like to use horizontal lines in my arguments.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2012 10:39:59 AM
At 6/22/2012 5:27:01 PM, 000ike wrote:
those are important, but I think we should be patient with juggle. After all they've done in the past few weeks it seems a little ungrateful to immediately start petitioning for something new.

On a sidenote, it's funny how they start caring about DDO once Innomen leaves office...but it's probably because of him that they care in the first place

That may be true but anyone can counter that now that Juggle is placing some attention on renovating the site, it is perhaps best to propose change now rather than later.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2012 11:15:28 AM
At 6/23/2012 10:39:59 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

That may be true but anyone can counter that now that Juggle is placing some attention on renovating the site, it is perhaps best to propose change now rather than later.

Which is exactly why I'm posting it.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2012 11:08:06 PM

This. I am, and so are many others very pleased and and thankful for Juggle's actions. We should be patient, and yes continue to speak and suggest new options, but be openly greatful of their progress.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 5:01:01 PM
At 6/23/2012 11:08:06 PM, Contra wrote:

This. I am, and so are many others very pleased and and thankful for Juggle's actions. We should be patient, and yes continue to speak and suggest new options, but be openly greatful of their progress.

+1
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 6:15:32 PM
At 6/23/2012 11:21:36 AM, drafterman wrote:
10k words? You writing the next Great American novel?

this. I'm reluctant to read 8k as it is...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 6:22:35 PM
At 6/24/2012 6:04:33 PM, vmpire321 wrote:

10k isn't that much....

10,000 WORDS. The current cap is 8,000 CHARACTERS.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 6:50:43 PM

He's writing a religious book.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:13:16 PM
I agree with changing the default font, not counting the characters in references, and fixing the alignment selection. I don't care if video insertion is more flexible or if there are horizontal lines.

I think direct insertion of images from URL is probably not a good idea in debates. That makes the debate dependent on the validity of the link. We all know that DDO debates are timeless gifts to eternity, so they ought to be self-contained as much as possible.

There is data that shows serif fonts like Times Roman are read fast than sans-serif fonts. The general rule is sans-serif for headlines and serif for text.

I don't want the 8K character limit to be increased. Five rounds of 8K is already too much to read. Part of the challenge of debating is keeping arguments short. If a person feels that 8K characters is too few to handle a topic, then he should narrow the resolution.

The editor has a few bugs. Sometimes extra lines are skipped when saving text that was imported from Word. Sometime bold cannot be removed from imported text. Sometimes odd fonts are not terminated.

The spell checker is missing a whole lot of words, like "Obama" for example. It would be nice to have a grammar checker.