Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

What software does DDO use?

Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2012 6:00:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what software DDO uses to manage their website and to make their debate platforms?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
famer
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 7:34:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/24/2012 9:35:28 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
Bump (I want someone to answer this because it answers Microsuck's question and I am a little curious myself).

+1
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 7:59:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I looked at the html source and can't really tell. It looks consistent with having been written in PHP, which generates the html and the calls to Javascript. Given that it was written 4-5 years ago, that would have been a good way to do it. Now there are higher level page generators, but I don't think they were around when the site was originally brought up.

Pure speculation. You could ask through an inquiry on the Help tab.
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 8:01:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 7:59:57 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I looked at the html source and can't really tell. It looks consistent with having been written in PHP, which generates the html and the calls to Javascript. Given that it was written 4-5 years ago, that would have been a good way to do it. Now there are higher level page generators, but I don't think they were around when the site was originally brought up.

Pure speculation. You could ask through an inquiry on the Help tab.

That's what I thought at first; though I wasn't quite sure. There are much better ways to create sites like this now such as to code it in dreamweaver.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 8:27:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
DDO is so content driven, maybe one of the content management systems like Joomla or Drupal might be a way to do it now. http://spyrestudios.com... But I haven't kept up with dreamweaver and the like.
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 8:29:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 8:27:07 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
DDO is so content driven, maybe one of the content management systems like Joomla or Drupal might be a way to do it now. http://spyrestudios.com... But I haven't kept up with dreamweaver and the like.

I do know a rival website that uses drupal; though drupal and other CMS are NOT good. Personally, I use NVU and dreamweaver to do my codings.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
JuliaD
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:10:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Debate.org is a home grown application. It does not leverage any "out of the box" CMS systems like Joomla, Drupal or any other content management system. The code base is unique and was developed specifically for Debate.org.
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:13:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 9:10:01 AM, JuliaD wrote:
Debate.org is a home grown application. It does not leverage any "out of the box" CMS systems like Joomla, Drupal or any other content management system. The code base is unique and was developed specifically for Debate.org.

Thank you, Julia! :D How long did it take to develop?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:21:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 8:29:00 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:27:07 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
DDO is so content driven, maybe one of the content management systems like Joomla or Drupal might be a way to do it now. http://spyrestudios.com... But I haven't kept up with dreamweaver and the like.

I do know a rival website that uses drupal; though drupal and other CMS are NOT good. Personally, I use NVU and dreamweaver to do my codings.

There are no rival websites, we're way better!!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:41:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 9:21:11 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:29:00 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:27:07 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
DDO is so content driven, maybe one of the content management systems like Joomla or Drupal might be a way to do it now. http://spyrestudios.com... But I haven't kept up with dreamweaver and the like.

I do know a rival website that uses drupal; though drupal and other CMS are NOT good. Personally, I use NVU and dreamweaver to do my codings.

There are no rival websites, we're way better!!

I agree we are way better, but there are sites that attempt (albeit very poorly) to mimic us.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:45:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 9:41:35 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 9:21:11 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:29:00 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:27:07 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
DDO is so content driven, maybe one of the content management systems like Joomla or Drupal might be a way to do it now. http://spyrestudios.com... But I haven't kept up with dreamweaver and the like.

I do know a rival website that uses drupal; though drupal and other CMS are NOT good. Personally, I use NVU and dreamweaver to do my codings.

There are no rival websites, we're way better!!

I agree we are way better, but there are sites that attempt (albeit very poorly) to mimic us.

Which ones?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:47:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 9:45:29 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/26/2012 9:41:35 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 9:21:11 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:29:00 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 8:27:07 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
DDO is so content driven, maybe one of the content management systems like Joomla or Drupal might be a way to do it now. http://spyrestudios.com... But I haven't kept up with dreamweaver and the like.

I do know a rival website that uses drupal; though drupal and other CMS are NOT good. Personally, I use NVU and dreamweaver to do my codings.

There are no rival websites, we're way better!!

I agree we are way better, but there are sites that attempt (albeit very poorly) to mimic us.

Which ones?

http://idebate.org...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 11:41:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it is written in classic ASP (non-dotnet). I think I've seeing .asp extentions in the past. My browser tells me they use IIS. I'd assume they use SQL Server as a back end. Either way, a very well implemented site; fast, bug free, feature rich, etc.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 8:31:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 9:13:48 AM, Microsuck wrote:
At 6/26/2012 9:10:01 AM, JuliaD wrote:
Debate.org is a home grown application. It does not leverage any "out of the box" CMS systems like Joomla, Drupal or any other content management system. The code base is unique and was developed specifically for Debate.org.

Thank you, Julia! :D How long did it take to develop?

Ask Webcorp.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light