Jump to topic:

Music Avvie Week

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:04:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Since it was being discussed in the last thread, I thought I'd make a new thread for it. How about a music avvie week?

My avvie is the red hot chili peppers.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:11:09 AM
Ugh, I didn't want to think about this for personal reasons, but I'll participate because the Pullman pic is getting boring.

The Wanted
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:14:10 AM
At 6/25/2012 11:04:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Since it was being discussed in the last thread, I thought I'd make a new thread for it. How about a music avvie week?

My avvie is the red hot chili peppers.

Love this idea!

Dave Mathews Band. (May change to The Black Keys or Fitz and the Tantrums Later.)
Tsar of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:18:22 AM
Guiseppe Verdi, the man who left Italy in tatters and in rushes and swoons in his wake.:)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:20:12 AM
At 6/25/2012 11:18:22 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Guiseppe Verdi, the man who left Italy in tatters and in rushes and swoons in his wake.:)

I've never really understood the attraction have to classical music. I know that it's "considered" a higher pleasure as compared to popular music, but I don't see any sort of inherent reason that this is true. Of course, I've never really bothered to study it :p
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:21:01 AM
At 6/25/2012 11:20:12 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I've never really understood the attraction have to classical music. I know that it's "considered" a higher pleasure as compared to popular music, but I don't see any sort of inherent reason that this is true. Of course, I've never really bothered to study it :p

Neither have I, but I am often swept by the grandeur of his music...and the humanity of his dramas.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:24:30 AM

Lol, I feel the same way. Also, a lot of people who are fans of classical music consider themselves to have superior musical tastes to those that don't. Not everyone of course but a lot of them.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:33:50 AM

At the end of the day, classical music is still music. The people that try to "study" it will never understand it. There's nothing really better about it. It's just a different kind of sound that I believe evokes very different emotions than modern music.

Also, you're bound to find a piece of classical music that you really like. I find Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven kind of boring (single piano, organ, strict tempo). If you look in the romantic era (huge orchestras and dynamic tempo) with Chopin, tchaikovsky, Dvorak you can find a lot of interesting music.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:45:26 PM
ohhh man... so many to choose from. i've been particularly into guitar lately, so i'll go with my main guitar influence, the almighty Satch.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:49:59 PM

I've heard that pop music is addictive. When kids listen to pop, they just want a quick rush. I got interested in classical music from playing Civ IV; it's a slow turn-based strategy game, and playing helped me think about the music more. Try it. Doesn't necessarily have to be Civ IV, just some relaxing thing.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:51:55 PM
Anyone who doesnt recognize my pic should be sent to the sun
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:52:24 PM
At 6/25/2012 12:51:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

I think the Artic is more appropriate for me to be sent there. ;)

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 1:33:51 PM

But I don't have sunscreen.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 2:02:27 PM
At 6/25/2012 11:11:09 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ugh, I didn't want to think about this for personal reasons, but I'll participate because the Pullman pic is getting boring.

The Wanted

Personal reasons interfere with deciding your favorite band?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 3:33:49 PM
At 6/25/2012 11:33:50 AM, 000ike wrote:

At the end of the day, classical music is still music. The people that try to "study" it will never understand it. There's nothing really better about it. It's just a different kind of sound that I believe evokes very different emotions than modern music.

Also, you're bound to find a piece of classical music that you really like. I find Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven kind of boring (single piano, organ, strict tempo). If you look in the romantic era (huge orchestras and dynamic tempo) with Chopin, tchaikovsky, Dvorak you can find a lot of interesting music.

I would consider myself a fan of classical music (most continental European, except Italian). I like most music though (everything from Gullah Ring Shouts to Beethoven, Abba to ZZ Top, and most contemporary pop music). I love Jazz, blues, big band, and even African Tribal music. I wouldn't say I've studied any of it, in the academic sense, but I do like most of what I hear (except some rap and some contemporary pop). I love dubstep.

To say that one form of music is better than another is generally unfounded though, because liking music is entirely subjective. Bach is just as musically valuable as Justin Bieber, and both have their good and bad moments. Music is about creation, not criticism.
Tsar of DDO
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 3:33:58 PM
Guess.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 3:34:17 PM
Changed
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 3:54:57 PM
Gorillaz because you're all musically illiterate.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 4:04:33 PM
I call The Beatles.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 5:09:18 PM
At 6/25/2012 4:50:35 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The best band in the history of music...The Eagles

A fantastic choice. Their lead singer is one of the best male vocalists of all time.
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 5:17:47 PM
At 6/25/2012 4:50:35 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The best band in the history of music...The Eagles

Do you live in the fast lane?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 5:24:29 PM
Die Antwoord. The most unique, attention-grabbing concept art group I have ever come across.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 6:51:19 PM
I love this idea. :) Right now i have the cover of Cerebral Bore's "Maniacal Miscreation", though i'll probably change it sometimes.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:28:15 PM

Agreed
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:30:14 PM
Can we have favorite anime villain avvie week next? :P