Jump to topic:

Forfeits

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 8:07:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The past couple of debates I've done have actually annoyed me quite a bit.

Two topics, both of which were excellent, thought-provoking subjects, had my opponents forfeit at least two rounds. This includes debate that I started, and one I was challenged on.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but this gives me major ennui, and it also dampens my excitement about debating. I know a lot of other people have had this happen, and I'm willing to bet that a lot feel the same.

So I have an idea. I think that it is time we give the option to start opting out of debates if your opponent forfeits. For instigators, this could mean dropping the opponent, or for participants, this could mean dropping yourself out.

I know that currently, if an opponent forfeits the first-round, debates go back to the challenge period. But why should we not extend this to forfeits in other rounds? Not necessarily that it will automatically do as such, but allow the option to be present.

I also know that some forfeits have good reasoning behind them. It is possible that there is a time limit imposed on when the instigator can drop an opponent; say, if the round time limit is 72 hours, the participant is given 36 hours to give a valid reason why they forfeited. I don't believe this "36 hour rule" should apply when a instigator forfeits a round against a participant; the participant should be allowed to drop out automatically. The participate doesn't have a responsibility to stay; the instigator does have a responsibility to exercise this "drop" authority fairly.

Anyways, any thoughts, comments, ideas?
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 8:36:27 PM
I think such changes are unnecessary. If you are the one to issue the challenge, someone forfeits, and you still want to debate the issue then you can just create a new debate by copy/pasting the opening round of the original.

If you are the challenger and you want to debate the topic, you can still create a new debate.

What you suggests seems as though it would add unnecessary confusion.
I do agree that such forfeiting is obnoxious.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 8:40:13 PM
The problem is that it will still count towards your debate count, and that is unnecessary.

I don't think it would create a lot of confusion either. If I can understand it, I'm sure almost anyone can.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 8:48:11 PM
The larger point is that it is an unnecessary addition. Nothing is harmed now, as things currently stand.

As with most proposals, all of your concerns would be fixed if we just had a few user-mods. a-hem
ccstateisback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 9:01:41 PM
As much as I like mods, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the lack of mods.
studentathletechristian8 - Congrats- you may have your first online girlfriend!

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it was really a 45 year old guy friend.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 9:03:38 PM
At 8/25/2009 9:01:41 PM, ccstateisback wrote:

I'm not sure if that's a case for mods or against them =)
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ccstateisback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 9:12:51 PM
At 8/25/2009 9:03:38 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 8/25/2009 9:01:41 PM, ccstateisback wrote:

I'm not sure if that's a case for mods or against them =)

I'm neutral, but leaning towards pro mods.

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 9:36:55 PM
In my experience, mods usually go on a power trip and piss people off while regularly giving free passes to their "buddies." Someone who was even natured and regularly unbiased would make a good mod.
ccstateisback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 9:42:57 PM
At 8/25/2009 9:36:55 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
In my experience, mods usually go on a power trip and piss people off while regularly giving free passes to their "buddies." Someone who was even natured and regularly unbiased would make a good mod.

I don't know if that would happen, seeing as there are few people on DDO like that (one of them being me), but it could definitely happen.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 9:44:38 PM

Agreed. For that reason, I am Con Mods.

If we were to have member mods (which is unlikely), a vote would be the best idea.

And we could have political parties of mods. It would be like a Democratic Republic. Maybe some master mods to decides if mods follow the ToS or not. Also, an uber-master mod who controls everyone. Oh wait.. that is the system of the United States. Nevermind then...
ccstateisback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 10:10:27 PM
At 8/25/2009 9:44:38 PM, Nags wrote:

Agreed. For that reason, I am Con Mods.

If we were to have member mods (which is unlikely), a vote would be the best idea.

And we could have political parties of mods. It would be like a Democratic Republic. Maybe some master mods to decides if mods follow the ToS or not. Also, an uber-master mod who controls everyone. Oh wait.. that is the system of the United States. Nevermind then...

A supreme court of mods would work.